Getting ready to place my first order for flavorings. TFA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Hello everyone. As the title states, I'm going to place an order today for my 1st set of flavorings.

I'm hoping to start off simple (famous last words). What I would like is to end up with is the proper materials to make several flavors. To start with, I'd like to end up with Juicy Fruit (my ATF), a Jolly Rancher type green apple, a JR Grape, a JR watermellon, butterscotch, a nice (non candy) cherry, and something like vanilla custard (for a friend who is going to DIY with me).

I noticed a reference to a "grape jolly roger" flavor in the TFA thread. I've looked at several places that sell TFA flavorings and I don't see it listed anywhere. Has this been replaced by "grape candy" due to issues using "jolly rancher" in the actual name?

My second question is for the above flavors, is TFA my best choice? Are there other flavorings that say, have a better butterscotch flavor than TFA (example only -question applies to all of the flavors I listed above)?

Thank you!

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
From the TFA site
"Also: We have renamed the following flavors:
M. Dew is now Citrus Punch
Hawaiian Pun. is now Hawaiian Drink
Grape Jolly Ran. is now Grape Candy
Bubblegum Juicyfruit Style is now Bubblegum Juicy Style"

"Apple Candy Flavor
water soluble
this is a Jolly Rancher green apple type of flavor"

"Black Cherry Flavor
water soluble
A very realistic, fresh cherry flavor, true to the actual berry rather than a candylike or maraschino flavor"

I haven't tried their Butterscotch flavor but I hear it's good.
"Butterscotch Flavor
water soluble
A very nice rich and creamy butterscotch flavor, great on it's own, but try blending with sweet ingredients for an old fashioned candy appeal."

Cheers,
Steve

Edit: As to your second question. I mainly use TFA with a few LA because I mainly use Wizard Labs and they have 8ml sample sizes for $1.49. Makes it very easy to try them too see if you like them. If you do and want larger amounts, I suggest you order directly from TPA/TFA. I have 30 flavors currently and 30 more are due to arrive today - I think I may have enough for awhile (the sad fact is, there are still a couple I forgot to order) lol. :D

Edit 2: From the TFA site
"Vanilla Custard Flavor
water soluble
a rich, buttery custard flavor. stronger than our bavarian cream (which has no "Custard" Notes).
*** contains both "Custard" ingredients (acetoin and acetyl propionyl) -
Please see our information section on these ingredients in the Flavorist Corner (lower left of the screen)
****** This flavor should only be used in Food and Cosmetic applications.
****** This flavor (no matter what company makes it) has inhalation risks if it contains either Acetoin or Acetyl Propionyl!
Ingredients: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Propylene Glycol, water"

I believe no matter what company you buy Custard flavors from they will have those ingredients in them!

Final Thoughts: I would get Bavarian Cream because it's a very useful blending ingredient that I add to a lot of my mixes (gives them body). I think Caramel is another 1 that I like to add to any bakery and my RY4 Double mix (My ADV).

Sorry this was so long - I hope it is helpful!

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Given that you're making Jolly Rancher flavors, I'd recommend getting a bottle of "Sour" and a bottle of "Sweetener" (Sucralose) with your order to get that Jolly Rancher zing. I like a drop of "Koolada" in chewing gum flavors, just enough to freshen the taste. If you get those 3 ingredients, you're sure to use them in other recipes, and a little will go a long way.

As for vanilla custard flavors, you're going to have to experiment. Many people love Capella's version. I much prefer FlavourArt's three vanillas (Bourbon, Classic, Tahiti), which taste more like true vanilla and less "goopy" to me. Their "Custard" flavor blends very well with any combination of those. Additionally, I believe FA's is the only 'custard' flavor that does NOT have acetoin or other 'custard notes'. I say that because FA's main Italian website notes other flavors that do (and warns against vaping them), but does not have this warning for their 'Custard'. I do not detect the usual 'custard notes' in it. Mixed with any of their vanillas (and Fresh Cream) it's a great, creamy, true vanilla flavor...sweetener optional.

jgoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
United States
I really like the Capella's vanilla custard. I have tried TFA, FA, FW, and NF, and found that Capella's is my favorite. You do need to add some stuff to make it great though. look at steve o's vanilla custard recipe here on ecf. You might also want to try boston cream pie from capella's, it is also a custard flavor. Now, if you want to know my real trade secret for making the best vanilla custards, get yourself a whole vanilla bean, slice it in half, and put it in a 4oz bottle of cap's vanilla custard, then let it soak for a month. Tahitian Vanilla Beans (Tahiti), Whole | Beanilla

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Sorry this was so long - I hope it is helpful!

It was not too long. Perfect, actually. I have no idea how I missed that note on their web site. I do remember reading the Mt. Dew and Hawaiin punch part, though. Probably my wife's fault that I missed it. ;) Too bad I spent about an hour this morning trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Edit 2: From the TFA site
"Vanilla Custard Flavor
water soluble
a rich, buttery custard flavor. stronger than our bavarian cream (which has no "Custard" Notes).
*** contains both "Custard" ingredients (acetoin and acetyl propionyl) -
Please see our information section on these ingredients in the Flavorist Corner (lower left of the screen)
****** This flavor should only be used in Food and Cosmetic applications.
****** This flavor (no matter what company makes it) has inhalation risks if it contains either Acetoin or Acetyl Propionyl!
Ingredients: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Propylene Glycol, water"

I believe no matter what company you buy Custard flavors from they will have those ingredients in them!

LOL.. I'm sitting here at my office reading this while vaping some vanilla custard that I bought from a local B&M. I only have 10ml of it, so I hope that I can vape it without it killing me!

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Given that you're making Jolly Rancher flavors, I'd recommend getting a bottle of "Sour" and a bottle of "Sweetener" (Sucralose) with your order to get that Jolly Rancher zing. I like a drop of "Koolada" in chewing gum flavors, just enough to freshen the taste. If you get those 3 ingredients, you're sure to use them in other recipes, and a little will go a long way.

Nice, I already had them in my cart. Thank you for the validation!

I really like the Capella's vanilla custard. I have tried TFA, FA, FW, and NF, and found that Capella's is my favorite. You do need to add some stuff to make it great though. look at steve o's vanilla custard recipe here on ecf. You might also want to try boston cream pie from capella's, it is also a custard flavor. Now, if you want to know my real trade secret for making the best vanilla custards, get yourself a whole vanilla bean, slice it in half, and put it in a 4oz bottle of cap's vanilla custard, then let it soak for a month. Tahitian Vanilla Beans (Tahiti), Whole | Beanilla

I appreciate that. I will look into the capella's.

I love this forum. Everyone is so helpful. :2cool:

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
It was not too long. Perfect, actually. I have no idea how I missed that note on their web site. I do remember reading the Mt. Dew and Hawaiin punch part, though. Probably my wife's fault that I missed it. ;) Too bad I spent about an hour this morning trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

Always happy to help. Good Luck with your DIY. :toast:

Cheers,
Steve

MissAmerican

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I've tried butterscotch from just about every vendor, if you want a candy type flavor then I'd go for the one from FlavorWest. Also FlavourArt has a great butterscotch and to me seems a lot less 'candyish' then FW. My favorite vanilla custard is from Capella, be careful with that though because a little goes a long way. If used in a high percentage it seems to overpower anything else in the mix. Agree with the other poster about the sour flavoring since you want a jolly rancher type of juice and I always recommend getting sweetener it can really make a flavor pop. Good luck and have fun in DIY!

eric1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2013
Dayton
Agreed. I've heard great things about the FA butterscotch in comparison to TFA, and using sour and sweetener for some of these flavors would be ideal to make the most of what you've mentioned. Also, as many of us break down and buy some sooner or later, I'd recommend bavarian cream as well. It can compliment almost anything. Enjoy the ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread