Getting started,help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
@Boxster
Do I need to get the calibration weights with the scale?

Thanks!
The Horizon scale needs a 500g weight for calibration. I have only used mine once when I first received my scale since it arrived in a slightly crushed box. I recall mine was off about 0.03g. In reality if your mix is off a few 100ths of a gram, you will not notice. one drop of VG from a 14g needle is ~0.03 grams.If you are weighing diamonds that would be significant, mixing juice, not so much. Up to you if you want to buy the weight. Mixing juice is really less about accuracy and more about repeat-ability, ie. when you make a mix that you like, being able to repeat the mix.

One item not mentioned are labels. You will need labels to identify tobacco, date, extraction method, etc..

Tip: The printing (markings) on syringes wears off very quickly. You can seal the syringe by wrapping in clear packing tape.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
I'm a Virginia and Lakeland freak

Interesting reading here on Lakeland Essence and here on blending tobacco's. I guess it's just the correlation between smoking tobacco and vaping tobacco extracts. Fascinating to read about different tobacco types and tobacco blending, even though I was always mostly just a cigarette smoker, my Dad was a pipe smoker and I always loved the smell of his pipe.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I'm supposed to get my Big Box of Stuffs from Amazon today (scale, gloves, eye protection, syringes, needles, labels, filters, dispensing bottles, Ahlstrom filter paper, KGD, calibration weight, and who knows what else.)

Yesterday I put a couple of the tobaccos I got from P&C into 8oz Mason jars:
Peter Stokkebye 302 Blk Cherry Cav
Peter Stokkebye 315 Black Coffee Peter St. 315 Black Coffee

Seriously underestimated the amount of PG when I ordered. I had a third to Mason up but, was running out of PG. Ordered more from Amazon yesterday.

Now, just to wait for a month or so and go from there.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
I'm supposed to get my Big Box of Stuffs from Amazon today (scale, gloves, eye protection, syringes, needles, labels, filters, dispensing bottles, Ahlstrom filter paper, KGD, calibration weight, and who knows what else.)

Yesterday I put a couple of the tobaccos I got from P&C into 8oz Mason jars:
Peter Stokkebye 302 Blk Cherry Cav
Peter Stokkebye 315 Black Coffee Peter St. 315 Black Coffee

Seriously underestimated the amount of PG when I ordered. I had a third to Mason up but, was running out of PG. Ordered more from Amazon yesterday.

Now, just to wait for a month or so and go from there.

:thumbs:
You could have borrowed my calibration weight. Mine is currently serving as a paper weight.:laugh:
On the NT thread you mentioned that you liked Bombay from NET.com. Good stuff!
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39953/mcclelland-bombay-court/

In the same wheelhouse as Bombay.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72952/hearth-home-signature-daybreak/

Reactions: 67Tele

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
@Boxster
I can use the calibration weight as a cat toy! That'll give me a minute of belly laughs...

Thanks for the Bombay suggestion! I've got a bunch of empty Mason jars...
That will be one fit cat!:lol:

I should mention, an full 8oz jar will yield over 120ml of extract. Assuming a 15% mix (my typical pipe tobacco mix), that's over twenty-six 30ml bottles.
30 X 0.15 = 4.5ml per bottle
120ml / 4.5ml = 26.7 bottles
That's fine if it's an all day vape, or the only juice that you vape.
When I started I was also making large batches until I realized it was going to take me a long time to use all of the extract. Now I only make 30ml or 60ml extractions until I know it's juice that I will vape a lot. Plus, I have now extracted over 55 tobacco's & currently have a dozen more in process. :facepalm:

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
That will be one fit cat!:lol:

I should mention, an full 8oz jar will yield over 120ml of extract. Assuming a 15% mix (my typical pipe tobacco mix), that's over twenty-six 30ml bottles.
30 X 0.15 = 4.5ml per bottle
120ml / 4.5ml = 26.7 bottles
That's fine if it's an all day vape, or the only juice that you vape.
When I started I was also making large batches until I realized it was going to take me a long time to use all of the extract. Now I only make 30ml or 60ml extractions until I know it's juice that I will vape a lot. Plus, I have now extracted over 55 tobacco's & currently have a dozen more in process. :facepalm:

I thought something was up with the amount cause, after the fact, I remembered you mentioning that 8oz were more versatile but, 4oz would be fine. I got a case of 4 oz jars with this last order from Amazon. I'll split my tobacco in half next time I fill the Mason.

Thanks man! Appreciate it.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Reactions: Str8vision

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Reactions: Str8vision

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Well was just looking at the 2 gal pg and 2 gal vg 39.00 and the shipping comes to 25.00 brings the total to 64.00. That 16 bucks per gal shipped. Oh, well! I really don't need that much just sitting around.
Yeah, that's hefty shipping. I checked their stuff at Amazon thinking it'd qualify for free shipping but, no dice.

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
OK I may of missed it, but is anyone extracting single varietal tobaccos, then blending your own? I'd love to see some recipes if this is the case. I'm about to dive in head first, and was thinking of trying a bunch of different single tobaccos then making my own blends. Of course there's a few blended pipe tobaccos I'm going to try first :D

-Kingboomer

Reactions: 67Tele

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
OK I may of missed it, but is anyone extracting single varietal tobaccos, then blending your own? I'd love to see some recipes if this is the case. I'm about to dive in head first, and was thinking of trying a bunch of different single tobaccos then making my own blends. Of course there's a few blended pipe tobaccos I'm going to try first :D

-Kingboomer

Being mostly just a straight tobacco flavor user, i'll throw out a few I've been vaping for the past few months. These may not appeal to a lot of users but I'll post them anyway. These are all good, morning smok's with coffee, and adv's for me. I'll vape on any one of these, weeks at a time. These blends carry subtle but palpable differences at these percentages. I'm still making adjustments on these blends, but the ASO, Briar Fox and Burley Flake #1 has become one of my favorite smok's. It's a long process, blending, aging, sampling, making adjustments rinse and repeat. But sure is a lot of fun! Good luck with your blends!

American Spirit Organic Gold (Cig) – 4%

C&D Briar Fox – 3%

C&D Burley Flake #1 – 2%

60/40 pg/vg 12 mg/nic

Orlik Golden Mixture – 4%

Blending-Izmir Ribbon Cut – 2%

McClelland Blending Oriental – 1%

50/50 pg/vg 12 mg/nic

Blending Dark Fired Kentucky Burley – 3%

American Spirit Organic Gold (Cig) – 2%

Blending Izmir Ribbon Cut – 1%

60/40 pg/vg 12 mg/nic

Solani Aged Burley Flake No. 656 – 3%

Dunnhill The Royal Yacht – 3%

Blending Izmir Ribbon Cut – 3%

60/40 pg/vg 12mg/nic

(This one is mixed and aging. Haven't sampled.)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

-Kingboomer

Several of us have extracted and mixed single varietals. It's been a year or two but I extracted many of the blending tobaccos (single varietals), carried by Pipes&Cigars and Milan tobacconists. Some were pretty good, some were not. What I liked about mixing extracts of single varietals is that you can "make it your way", any ratio that suits your taste. Taste is highly subjective but I Personally found most of the blending tobaccos that I could buy, extract and mix to be less flavorful than their pre-blended counterparts. For example the VaPer's (Virginia, Perique blends), I mixed using extracts of single varietals lacked the depth and range of flavor that pre-blended VaPer's (like H&H's "Louisiana Red"), could produce. I think the difference is in the curing processes that are used on the tobaccos.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Several of us have extracted and mixed single varietals. It's been a year or two but I extracted many of the blending tobaccos (single varietals), carried by Pipes&Cigars and Milan tobacconists. Some were pretty good, some were not. What I liked about mixing extracts of single varietals is that you can "make it your way", any ratio that suits your taste. Taste is highly subjective but I Personally found most of the blending tobaccos that I could buy, extract and mix to be less flavorful than their pre-blended counterparts. For example the VaPer's (Virginia, Perique blends), I mixed using extracts of single varietals lacked the depth and range of flavor that pre-blended VaPer's (like H&H's "Louisiana Red"), could produce. I think the difference is in the curing processes that are used on the tobaccos.

Can I ask; Were Your single varietal extractions using heated ethanol?..My (Lazy!) cold PG soaks seem to go the other way....ie. My extracts of Latakia/Black Cav./Burley are stronger than My extracts from blends....admittedly, I have n't tried blending My own yet!..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread