First-timer's results

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon.c

Feb 20, 2022
Kansas City, MO area
Friday, 03 June, my NET “stews” hit the three month mark and I filtered them over that weekend. Four of these are definite keepers.

Rattray’s Marlin Flake:
A little weak at 10% so I increased the mix to 12%, then 15%. More steep time might change the mix, however. Definitely a straight Virginia, yet I detect hints of honey and vanilla. Tobaccoreviews.com lists this as a Virginia/Perique blend, but I taste no Perique. I like this.

Kingfisher:
This was my favorite Burley/Virginia/Perique blend to smoke and I’d even reserved a pipe for it. Discovering I disliked the vape was a huge surprise. It’s got a smoke-cured flavor that is too reminiscent of Latakia for my taste.

Escudo Navy Deluxe:
This was one of my favorite tobaccos to smoke, perhaps because of the novelty of the coin cut. Still a worthwhile extract. I’ve bumped to a 12% mix. A candidate for more steep time.

McClelland No. 2010 with 15% Perique:
I’d highly recommend this except it can’t be reproduced now that McClelland has closed their doors. I’m fortunate to have about a pound of the tobacco left. First vape puff was wonderful! The liquid has a very pale color mixed at 10%, but the flavor is plenty strong. Spiced apricots is a flavor I get on occasion. So far, this is my favorite.

McClelland No. 2015:
This is a Virginia/Perique blend of McClelland’s own. Very much like my No. 2010 with 15% Perique. It’s good, but I need to spend more time with it.

Gawith, Hoggarth and Co. Louisiana Flake:
This one was an experiment with almost assured failure. This tobacco had the manufacturer’s distinctive floral, perfumey flavor when smoked and that carried over to the extract. I couldn’t finish one tank, but I’ll let it steep a month and retry.

Jon

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Finding out that our favorite pipe tobaccos aren't the same as an e-liquid is normal.
McClelland's Stoved Virginia was exceptional, but no longer available, as you mentioned.
Hearth and Home has a couple Va/Per blends you might try. Anniversary Kake and Louisiana Red.
Cornell & Diehl have a Virginia/ Burley/ Perique I truly enjoy called Three Friars. I don't remember Three Nuns, most who do say Three Friars is different. But I still enjoy it.
Vape Happy :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread