Getting the word out: Mt Baker and HR 2058?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
re. Urgent U.S. Call to Action - Support HR 2058 to Protect U.S. Vaping Industry Against FDA!

How do we highlight a great post like this?
1. The instructions are so simple, it actually takes 30 seconds to fill out and send.
2. It would be nice if we could get every ECF member to send.
3. How do we get every ECF member to take the 30 seconds and send.
4. Julie and Alex are doing a great job and may need our support and suggestions.

I have one suggestion:
A flashing multicolor "Premier" type banner mandating all ECF visitors and members must fill out or opt out before access to forum.
Better yet, if we could get all vape forums in the world to do the same, it might help our cause.
Just send the other forums/vendors (or anyone connected to the vape industry) the banner and see what happens.
Draconian yes but the need is draconian.
These federal bills require extreme attention for all vapers.

RooRooBears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
California
Thank you MBV for the email. Otherwise I wouldn't know about these mandates which really require our action and not to sit idle while the federal government takes away our rights as a vaping community. I have inserted my own paragraph in bold, hope others will get on board and do the same.

"I am writing to express strong support for the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058) and urge you to co-sponsor this bill which would amend the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act to change the grandfather date for newly deemed tobacco products to the date when the deeming regulation is finalized. If left unchanged, the February 2007 grandfather date would have the effect of removing 99.9% of vapor products (otherwise known as e-cigarettes) currently on the market as soon as the restriction took effect. This would be (i) devastating to small- and medium-sized independent vapor businesses, and (ii) would ban the products that millions of consumers like me use to remain smoke-free.

Only a handful of early generation (not very effective) vapor products were on the market in 2007. The advances made in the industry since that time have produced safer and more effective products and no one currently sells such primitive products. H.R. 2058 makes a reasonable accommodation for newly deemed products to be grandfathered based on the date they are brought under FDA’s jurisdiction. Such a simple clarification of FDA’s authority will allow millions of consumers continued access to a less harmful alternative to combustible tobacco and ensure that thousands of small businesses across the country will be able to continue to contribute to the economy.

As a consumer of vapor products, it is vitally important to me that the variety of quality products currently on the market are allowed to remain on the market. Millions of Americans like me have experienced remarkable and important health benefits by switching to these low-risk, smoke-free products. It should be a public health priority that millions more have access to the same experience.

I have been vaping since 2007. Being a knowledge seeker in the field of medicine, I have thoroughly researched about ecigarettes and eliquid in search for side effects, health risks, and pathophysiological interactions. Needless to say, the benefits severely outweigh the risks versus smoking cigarettes. Perhaps long term studies may show side effects, but as to date, it has been years since my last cigarette and succumbing to upper respiratory viruses, bronchitis, asthma flare ups and other illnesses linked to cigarette smoking. Vaping has not only saved my life but has also given me the confidence to socialize with others who abhor second hand cigarette smoke. I understand the need for ecigarettes to not be sold to minors and have similar restrictions of vaping locations to avoid public scrutiny. But to have ecigarettes/eliquid categorized as the same as tobacco in the market is absolutely ridiculous and an uneducated decision. Please look into ecigarettes yourself and you will see the dramatic differences versus tobacco products. Different products belong in different marketing categories. Ecigarettes has not only saved thousands of lives, it has also saved my life, my lifestyle, and everyone around me.

I look forward to your response on this issue. I, along with my fellow members of CASAA (Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association), thank you for considering my comments and urge you to support H.R. 2058."

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
A flashing multicolor "Premier" type banner mandating all ECF visitors and members must fill out or opt out before access to forum.

Absolutely not. Sites that attempt to "force" users to do things like this rarely do well. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. Same adage applies here.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. Same adage applies here.
Ok. IMO, the problem remains. How to we bring the full weight and force of ECF US forum members to add support for the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058)?
IMO, Posts like :
need to be effectively brought up (made aware of) to each US ECF member in a acceptable passive manner. It's up to the members to act or not. In short, it would be nice to make ECF voices known in an effective (showing support) voluntary manner.
The Admin jungle drums have probably beat this subject to death and have found no consensus/acceptable answer. Perhaps the problem of "getting the word out" needs to be rephrased and readdressed?

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
When we do banners, members complain. When we put things in their faces, they complain. Again, the membership knows where to find legislation issues on ECF without rubbing their noses in it. It's up to them to decide whether they want to get involved or not. No amount of cajoling will change that. It's human nature and it's not going to change anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread