Getting tired of my current ecig... time for a new one. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
I think you should really consider the E-Power 14650. Im a college student also so I know how that is and thats one of the main reasons I went with the E-Power. Everything on the E-Power is replaceable and can be bought seperately, and the batteries are non-proprietary. An new E-Power battery is $4 bucks compared to many of the eGo/Riva type batteries which are closer to $20. Plus the batteries last a long time. One lasts me easily all day going to class, and you get 2 with the kit so just keep the second in your bag and youll be set.

Read this about the E-Power. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/233335-anyone-considering-buying-e-power-14650-read.html#post4394527

Your situation is very similar to mine and Im glad I went with the E-Power. I also wrote about where to get it, (CCV). Youll get a free 30ml juice, free 5-pack of "Ressurector" cartos(the cartos are ... awesome-LR 1.7ohm, hold almost 2ml of juice), and free shipping. Def a good deal.

Im not saying the eGo's arnt a great PV cause they def are. I just feel the E-Power is more cost effective and cheaper to maintain on a college student budget. Plus with getting free juice and free good cartos from CCV, its a deal thats hard to beat

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
so i think i am going to get the ego t with lr attys from liberty flights. i have 99.5% anyhdrous glycerine u.s.p. so I am also going to get some flavorings as follows: 5mg of ry4 5mg of latakia and 5mg of perique black. i want to move away from the nicotine but i still need some till i ramp it down. unfortunately i cannot find nicotine liquid on the website. can you help me? also, how long do you think the 15mg of flavoring will last me? what do you think of the flavors? thanks so much for all of your help.

Pure nicotine seems a bit harder to find, I don't know whether this due to it being quite hazardous unless handled properly, but I found some on Xtremevaping.

I am still a bit nervous regarding handling strong nicotine because I get my regular & WTA juices all over the place from time to time and overfill cartomizers.

I went for the KGO kit from Hoosier E-cig Supply. I nearly went with an E-power 14650 [I did not because I heard elsewhere that there were lots of issues with battery failures- Not sure what that's about], briefly considered the Ego-T though.

This is my first e-cig past buying a few disposables, though. I bought it to avoid purchasing a Blu kit, I believe I got more than my money's worth.

I can say the battery lasts me a while with each charge [I've only had to charge once past the initial charges, so twice on the first battery and the second is still on its first charge], and I get clouds of vapor consistently.

Supposedly the KGO has a better battery and holds a slightly higher voltage under load than the ego, as I understand it.

Last edited:

ngrim

Oct 27, 2011
victorville
I would like to offer my opinion on the "burnt taste" I use a reg joye ego non Tank and never had a burnt taste until I tried a "coke" flavor liquid. after cleaning my atomizer and switching back to my watermelon flavor the burnt taste went away. Even after I run out of juice and it's running on low or dry there's still no burnt taste. So I'm suggesting that the burnt taste is not due to the atomizer, wick, cartomizer, or cotton. It's the quality and flavor of the juice. I love my ego and the only thing I might consider is getting the tank carto and trying that out. but for now cartridges are doing just fine for me.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I think you should really consider the E-Power 14650. Im a college student also so I know how that is and thats one of the main reasons I went with the E-Power. Everything on the E-Power is replaceable and can be bought seperately, and the batteries are non-proprietary. An new E-Power battery is $4 bucks compared to many of the eGo/Riva type batteries which are closer to $20. Plus the batteries last a long time. One lasts me easily all day going to class, and you get 2 with the kit so just keep the second in your bag and youll be set.

Read this about the E-Power. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/233335-anyone-considering-buying-e-power-14650-read.html#post4394527

Your situation is very similar to mine and Im glad I went with the E-Power. I also wrote about where to get it, (CCV). Youll get a free 30ml juice, free 5-pack of "Ressurector" cartos(the cartos are ... awesome-LR 1.7ohm, hold almost 2ml of juice), and free shipping. Def a good deal.

Im not saying the eGo's arnt a great PV cause they def are. I just feel the E-Power is more cost effective and cheaper to maintain on a college student budget. Plus with getting free juice and free good cartos from CCV, its a deal thats hard to beat

I agree completely. The Riva/ego crowd never mention the negatives to the ego, especially the cost of replacing the proprietary batteries. I believe that some of them don't understand how batteries work.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
brobdingnagian,
what you are referring to was not a problem with the batteries at all but the switch. Mostly it was with the 18650 model but i heard of a few people having the problem with the 14650 model. What it was, was that the switches button was rubber and after awhile it would start to get stuck, not stay in place, fall out, wear out, etc. For some reason(not sure why), the 18650 model switch was a lesser quality than the 14650 and A LOT of people were complaining it would wear out and stop working. The 14650 had a similar problem, just a lot less. The problem was fixed though because they came out with a new switch and got rid of the rubber button all together. The new switch has a plastic button like the Joye and works great. I have been using it non-stop and havent had the slightest problem with it. And even if down the line there is some kind of problem, you can buy a new switch with the plastic button for under 10 bucks. Remember, ALL parts of the E-Power are replaceable.

The kit I recommended for you from CCV comes with the switch with the plastic button so you wont have to deal with the potential switch problem anyway.

Also, if your looking for nic juice, you can get unflavored nic juice in 50mg/ml or 100mg/ml from CCV.
I get my nic juice as well as a lot of my other juices, supplies, etc from BlueMist Vapor. They have great quality stuff and really good prices(30ml of juice for $10). Plus they have an awesome selection. Over 250 premade juices and 250 flavors to make your own juice. And you can get extra flavor shots for .50 cents more

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I agree completely. The Riva/ego crowd never mention the negatives to the ego, especially the cost of replacing the proprietary batteries. I believe that some of them don't understand how batteries work.

Please inform me why you consider them "proprietary batteries". I can't for the life of me think of a device that hasn't been used on an eGo/Riva battery. They come with a common ordinary 510 connector, with an extra set of threads should you choose to use a cone. (Just like the e-power does)

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 7, 2011
    PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
    It has nothing to do with what uses them. It means that when you need a newbattery for your ego, you have to buy a whole new bottom bc the battery is permanently enclosed in the housing. The battery switch and housing are all one piece. Thy cost normally between 14-20 bucks. They are not like the Epower bc the Epower uses non-proprietary batteries. Everything is seperate on the Epower. A seperate battery slides into the tube and you screw the switch on. So it's 3 seperate parts instead of 1. (tube, battery, switch). When you need a new batt, instead of having to buy the whole thing you just buy the battery and use the same tube and switch. An Epower battery costs 4 bucks instead of the egos 15. Everything can be bought separately, switch, tube, battery, cone. Im not saying the ego/riva is a bad pv, cause its not. I just feel the epower is a lot more cost effective, especially with batteries

hairball

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    Please inform me why you consider them "proprietary batteries". I can't for the life of me think of a device that hasn't been used on an eGo/Riva battery. They come with a common ordinary 510 connector, with an extra set of threads should you choose to use a cone. (Just like the e-power does)

The battery, switch, and circuit board is sealed within a tub with a connector on the end. When one of those 3 components goes bad, you have to replace the whole thing...not just one part...that's what is called a proprietary battery.

In a mod, the battery is removed and charged. The switch can be removed and replaced. If a circuit board blows and you have some soldering skills, it can be replaced also. Mods are considered non-proprietary batteries.

I hope this makes sense to you. I tried to explain the easiest way I know how to clarify your question.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    It has nothing to do with what uses them. It means that when you need a newbattery for your ego, you have to buy a whole new bottom bc the battery is permanently enclosed in the housing. The battery switch and housing are all one piece. Thy cost normally between 14-20 bucks. They are not like the Epower bc the Epower uses non-proprietary batteries. Everything is seperate on the Epower. A seperate battery slides into the tube and you screw the switch on. So it's 3 seperate parts instead of 1. (tube, battery, switch). When you need a new batt, instead of having to buy the whole thing you just buy the battery and use the same tube and switch. An Epower battery costs 4 bucks instead of the egos 15. Everything can be bought separately, switch, tube, battery, cone. Im not saying the ego/riva is a bad pv, cause its not. I just feel the epower is a lot more cost effective, especially with batteries

I just have never considered permanently enclosed in the housing the same as proprietary batteries in the same sense that a 808-D2 is compared to a 808-D1 or 510 battery for instance. The Vmod is another example of what I think of as proprietary (have to use their atties)

Last edited:

nipsy

Oct 24, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I actually prefer my eGo-T PV to the random 18650 based PV that I bought at the same time. The 18650 based one seems to lose contact a lot and I have to take off my atomizer and wipe the contact off, even when there doesn't appear to be any liquid in the way. I'm not sure what the problem is. But I like the idea of a user replaceable battery. And I have two 18650's that I'm looking for a new PV for. But the eGo-T PV is keeping me happy for now. I'll probably go with a variable voltage PV next for the 18650's. I just haven't decided if I'm feeling adventurous enough to build my own from parts or pay someone else for having put it together for me.

On a side note, is there a good supplier of just the eGo-T PV itself, or can you only get them in kits new?

wv2win

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV

Proprietary means you can only use an ego battery on an ego, a Riva battery on a Riva. They are all enclosed with the switch and when it dies, you can't go to Walmart or Batteries Plus or Lighthouse and get a replacement.

With a PV like the E-Power or the GLV2 or the Prodigy, etc, the batteries are non-proprietary or generic. You can get them from many different makers and hundreds of suppliers. You can even get some of them at Battery's Plus stores or Walmart. And they only cost $4 - $5, are 900+ mAh and can be recharged a 1000+ times unlike the eGo bats that have about a 200 recharge limit.

Why would you want to pay 4 time more for a battery that provides you 4 times less life and the performance overall is no better and in the case of the eGo provides less performance.

Last edited:
    Proprietary means you can only use an ego battery on an ego, a Riva battery on a Riva. They are all enclosed with the switch and when it dies, you can't go to Walmart or Batteries Plus or Lighthouse and get a replacement.

With a PV like the E-Power or the GLV2 or the Prodigy, etc, the batteries are non-proprietary or generic. You can get them from many different makers and hundreds of suppliers. You can even get some of them at Battery's Plus stores or Walmart. And they only cost $4 - $5, are 900+ mAh and can be recharged a 1000+ times unlike the eGo bats that have about a 200 recharge limit.

Why would you want to pay 4 time more for a battery that provides you 4 times less life and the performance overall is no better and in the case of the eGo provides less performance.

you are absolutely right. now to find a vendor etc. thanks for your help. BK

Looking at ccv right now. anyone have problems with the buttons like someone posted earlier?

BigMike75

Oct 27, 2011
    Lompoc, CA
    You might want to look at Volcano Inferno with a drip and tank kit. You can build one for around $40 from parts of their website or get their starter kit comes with 650mah and a 1000mah batteries for $75. You can search online for a coupon code. The 650mah battery allows you to plug in to any USB port and vape and charge even if the battery is dead flat. They also come with a 1 year warranty.

BassMonkey

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 18, 2011
    SoCal
    thank you for all of your advice. although i am tempted to get the 18650 i think i will just end up getting the ego t 900mah kit from lib flights. i think they will be just what i need. i will also get a variety of flavorart flavorings. recommend your favorite flavors if you would like. thanks.

Great choice if it suits your needs. Personally I moved on to a VV Mod(Provari) but thats only because I picked one of jonboyusmc's tanks and needed something to match lol. Then again I do have mod fever, so I'm probably gonna be picking up super t manufactureing percise plus 18650 too. Probably in the next 5 min or so. The site is letting you order it now. Will ship between now and the 4th of Nov. NVM I was about to post the link but it looks like they took it off their page

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread