GG Stealth + UFS First impressions and review

Status
Not open for further replies.

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
Hello GG family :) I have been using a GG for about 10 days now so I think that makes a new member of the awesome GG club! I decided to take some time with my new device (and obsession) before I came in here and posted my opinions. I am pretty new to the ecig world, its just been over a month and a half of quitting smoking, though have spend most of that time researching devices, mods and have purchased more stuff than what I could actually use and consume in a couple of years. After the usual tryst with cigarette style ecigs, then egoTs, a dozen types of cartos, I finally gave up on the retail market ecigs and decided to look at mods. The most prominent reason being, I just couldn't get my self to like cartos. The most recommended cartos still gave me the filler taste. And I just couldn't accept the idea of dripping as the every day way of vaping. The Reo Grand quickly became the the vape that solved most of my problems.

However, Imeo's design and engineering kept me intrigued and the UFS and Odysseus seemed to be the ultimate solutions to all my needs! After initially being intimidated by the lack of availability of anything GG, I read up enough to understand why they are so much in demand. Extreme engineering and the quest for perfection is what really attracted me to the GG world. I pounced on a GG stealth (#1584) that was available at COV after Bruce told me that he isn't expecting any GGTSs until march at least. I received the stealth, bought a set of AW 18350 IMRs and a Pila charger, but never really used the GG at all. I didn't see the point in using it with cartos. I needed an UFS / Oddy! I realized how cool and unavailable the oddy is but I just couldn't get over how cool the UFS looks :D . Then after days of stalking the classifieds, and loosing out on a few deals, I got lucky with VPDownunder's UFS v1. Awesome guy great deal, he even gave me an extra plastic window for it. I also got an assortment of attys from avidvaper for both the UFS and the Reo. The shipping of the UFS from Australia to India took longer than I expected even after picking the most expensive shipping option and the customs ripped me, but at the end of it all, I finally had my GG setup complete! I had already seen (twice) every UFS video by then, so I followed all of the vaseline filled instructions :p, filled up the UFS with my favorite RY4 and the Cisco 1.8ohm 510 atty and fired up. In my first 3 hits I completely realized why all you guys are so crazy about GGs. It truly tasted like the vapor of the gods! I never new how good my juice tasted until I tried it in the UFS! Though my Reo with a Cisco 306 produced much more quantity of vapor, the vapor from the UFS was smooth, fluffy and felt like I am biting into tasty clouds :D The key difference between my Reo and GG experience is the consistency of vapor from the UFS. The uninterrupted flow of eliquid of the UFS provides a consistency of vapor that I don't think a manual bottom feeder can provide, self feeding or not. Impressed by it, I decided to get another UFS, and this time I landed up buying Chinner's UFS V2. A totally awesome dude to deal with, he too gave me some added goodies with the deal, orings and the steel window. So I now have 2 UFSs and only one GG!?! Have been looking for a GGTS-SS to come up in the classifieds but haven't found one yet. I have already put up a WTB for the steel mouthpieces (that for some weird reason I MUST HAVE!!!!)

I still am using the UFSv1 and the v2 is waiting for its better half to arrive :p. Also, I don't have the atty extender or any long barrel attys ATM. Now using it with a Cisco 1.5ohm 510 atty that brings up the vapor production to comparable levels of the Reo Grand, but drops the flavor a bit. I think i will be sticking to buying 1.8ohm attys for this baby. The taste is just awesome! The main problem I am currently facing with the GG is that it is leaking when carrying around. I lock out both the juice and air flow quite securely. I use a very well padded case with a my GG's shape cut out on the sponge padding, so its really well secure. However often when I get the GG out of the case, I see quite a few drops of liquid that seems to me has leaked out from the bottom of the top cap threading. I have disassembled and reassembled the UFS, but it still happens. I am not sure if the top cap is supposed to have an oring for its larger side, mine doesn't. I'd really appreciate some help on this issue. The leaking problem is the only thing thats making my GG my desk vape and am using the Reo Grand when out and about. Another minor problem is that over the short span of time that I am using the GG, I find the liquid control ring is getting stiffer to twist and is kinda squeaking when I turn it. Not a problem, just feels uncomfortable.

So finally to summarize my opinion of the GGS+UFS setup, here is what I really like:

1. Integrated device. Once you can find all the parts of course. I just don't dig mods that are just battery mods to be used with plain cartomizers. I think just battery mods are over rated. Storing and handling juice and flowing it to the atty while being a tight unified system is where the magic is at for me. Thats what I like most about my UFS setup.

2. Looks totally awesome!! The all steel device looks like something from a science fiction movie. A cross between a light saber and a sonic screwdriver. I would have gotten this thing for how cool it looks, even if I was not using ecigs :D

3. Really uninterrupted juice flow. The UFS does exactly what it promises. And IMO does it better than anything else. (Yes I know a lot of people are going to come up to me to say "wait till you try the oddy!" and yes I am doing exactly that! waiting!)

4. Awesome engineering and design. Every component in the device, barring none looks like deep thought has been put into each and every one of them. Some might call it over engineered, but I don't subscribe to such a notion, at least not in the negative sense of the phrase.

5. Awesome vapor. As i mentioned earlier, the vapor quality and taste from this device surpasses everything I have tried, even using the same atty on my other mod does not come close to the UFS in terms of flavor

6. Silent operation. Most atties / cartos have been noisy in terms of gurgling, crackling etc. The design of the UFS puts the atty inside the juice container and seals it from all around. Some people around me hate the sounds that I make with my Reo and 306s :)

Even great devices like the GG UFS leave me asking for more, so here is what I don't like or would like improved:

1. I would like to see an easier, more tactile button lockout system, I don't quite like the one on the GG. Its not really an On /Off boolean. There is good chance of the nut being somewhere halfway. I'd like to see some kind of locking like say in the Precise+ where you are sure of the on/off state of the device just by touching / feeling the lock / button. I did see a video somewhere of Imeo experimenting with a new kind of lockout that consisted of turning the entire base. Maybe that would be better, but still will not have an absolute On/Off state.

2. While I love the button position of the GG, I don't like the hexagonal button. I think there is a round button in some models, maybe that would be cooler. IMHO the button on the GG makes it feel a little crude / homemade when compared to the rest of the device. Heres to hoping that Imeo invents something cooler in the button department.

3. The UFS needs some kind of gradations / numbering / markings for at least the juice flow control if not both the flow controls. I should be able to visually set the device to my favorite settings without the guesswork or practice. I am sure over time experience and habit will make it easier to tune up to the desired settings, but a perfect device should tell the user of its state.

4. Don't really like the 18350 battery and need to move up to 18650.

5. This is my biggest gripe and most important feature request: Imeo needs to clone himself and just make more of these!!!! Come on!! can't you see the demand??

So there it is. My initial review of my first GG setup, and surely not my last. Will post some pics soon, though my device won't stand a chance when compared to some of your collections, its still damn pretty! I'd appreciate it if the pros here could provide some advice for my leaking issue or any tips that I can use. Lastly, thanks Imeo for creating such an awesome device. You have a fan in me who is going to be waiting for more of your genius creations :)

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Darco,
Nice impression, and expressive write-up. Welcome to GG.
Imeo knows all to well the demand for any thing, and every thing he designs and produces. It seems he loves thinking and designing new and/or improved more than producing massive stock in existing items. He takes care of his existing customers replacement parts needs regularly, and stocks his main stay GGTS regularly. His real talent shines when hes thinking, designing and revealing something new.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Nice review.

On your leaking issue there should be an o-ring between all pieces. One on both ends of the window piece (clear or steel), if you are using full mode 1 on the make end of the upper tank piece. The o-ring on the bottom of the window provides seal between it and tank bottom/juice controll. O-ring in the top of the window privides seal between it and the upper tank piece, and the o-ring on the male threaded part of the upper tank piece provides seal between it and the top cap.

Also for the tight juice controll lube lube lube if it is still tight take it apart clean the threads really well and lube some more. If still tight some people have mentioned taking off one of the o-rings from the top part of the connector has helped.

As for the button take the button cap put it in a dremel and use steel wool to round the edges (I havn't done this yet but I believe Maz did it on his stealth and it looked great. I will be trying this once I get a spare in case I f it up)

As for marking for juice and air controll I think the majority of users would prefer the cleaner look without it. Although you could always get it engraved aftermarket.

Anyways welcome to the GG family!!

VPDownunder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
Tasmania, Australia
Glad you're enjoying it as much as I did Darco :)
None of my UFS (all bought new) ever came with o-rings on the main top cap just the small o-ring that goes under the mouthpiece. Occasionally with some juices I'd get a drop or two leak from the top threads, it only seems to happen with high pg juices and you can add a thin o-ring of a suitable size to stop it. As for the juice control getting tight and squeaking it usually means the o-ring needs a little more vaseline or silicone grease on it.

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
Nice review.

On your leaking issue there should be an o-ring between all pieces. One on both ends of the window piece (clear or steel), if you are using full mode 1 on the make end of the upper tank piece

Glad you're enjoying it as much as I did Darco :)
None of my UFS (all bought new) ever came with o-rings on the main top cap just the small o-ring that goes under the mouthpiece. Occasionally with some juices I'd get a drop or two leak from the top threads, it only seems to happen with high pg juices and you can add a thin o-ring of a suitable size to stop it.

Thanks for the input guys. I currently am using only 1 juice, (PG base HC RY4) and its leaking quite a lot. Last night I had just kept it in the case lying down and did not disturb it at all. In the morning, there were quite a few drops that had leaked out. I guess I need an o-ring. Just to confirm, the o-ring is supposed to exist around the bottom of the male threading of the topmost tank part? Or does it go in the inside of the top cap? Secondly, Where do I get the needed o-ring? My second UFS (v2) came with an extra set of o-rings, could I use one from there? Or is there an online store from where you guys get your o-ring supplies from?

I really need to solve the leaking issue so that the GG can become my default go to vape.

As regards taking the button to the dremel, well I am not really good with one and I wouldnt want to mess with the perfection of the finish that Imeo has put into the PV. So is there a round button available? Or are all the round buttons I see in pics done in the aftermarket?

Another question, can the UFSv1 type mouthpiece be used with the UFSv2? I know there are a lot of sexy driptips available but IMO none can match the cool look and feel of the v1 mouthpiece. It also feels more pocket friendly due to the broad base of the mouthpiece.

I think I got into GGs in the wrong time... I didnt see any new GG stuff come out in Jan or Feb and the prices at the classifieds are going up. I hope Imeo has a lot of new goodies for us in March.

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the tips people, much appreciated. And VP, thanks for the UFS. It played a major role in stoping me from smoking!

VPDownunder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
Tasmania, Australia
I just used an o-ring from a box of assorted ones I bought on ebay but one of the spares from the other UFS should work just fine, putting it in the top cap or on the male threads should both work fine and prevent all possible leaks but putting it inside the top cap has the benefit of keeping it hidden if you're worried about aesthetics ;) If you get any VG based juice you shouldn't need the o'ring at all.
I'm really glad you're off the cancer sticks, I always love hearing when people beat smoking with vaping, I can just imagine the dollars slowly draining from the coffers of the cigarette companies :evil:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
thank you very much darco for your very nice post.:)

leakage: put 2 o-rings Darco. 1 under the CR (17x1,5) and one between body and reffiling cap (17x1,5)

stiff liquid control requires vaseline on the o-rings

hexagonal head of the button was made like this to let you unscrew it easy with a tool. Round button cant get unscrewed without damaging it. As for the way it feels, its because its mechanical. You also think that its not made like you want because its head moves 0,1mm per side. But its made like this to avoid button to get stuck inside its base.

Nothing on the GG was made without thought:)

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
thank you very much darco for your very nice post.:)

leakage: put 2 o-rings Darco. 1 under the CR (17x1,5) and one between body and reffiling cap (17x1,5)

stiff liquid control requires vaseline on the o-rings

hexagonal head of the button was made like this to let you unscrew it easy with a tool. Round button cant get unscrewed without damaging it. As for the way it feels, its because its mechanical. You also think that its not made like you want because its head moves 0,1mm per side. But its made like this to avoid button to get stuck inside its base.

Nothing on the GG was made without thought:)

Wow thanks for the reply Imeo, I was wondering when the man himself will notice me around here :D My post does not do justice to how cool the device is and how happy I am with it! The most apt expression to describe my GG is whats there on your sig: "Gods Vape"!! My GG truly feels like it :)

I didnt quite understand what you meant by "under the CR". Also, when you say between the body and the refilling cap, do you recommend I put the Oring on the bottom of the male threads or do I put it in the inner edge of the female threads of the top cap?

The hex button is just a minor aesthetic gripe. Though I would like to encourage you to ideate some more cool lockout mechanisms and concepts :)

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
CR--> air control ring

Close your juice control when done,also,in some way,the leak may be caused by some pressure building inside;I find that if I vape that thing too much for too long (dont throw rocks at me!) the heat generated build that pressure,so whenever I feel it becoming hot,I switch to...my GGTS with Odysseus! (or several other mods I own but I had to plug that one in!)

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
Thanks for all the help and sorry for the late response. I spend the last few hours fixing the stupidest mistake I could make even after reading so much here, I pulled out the ceter pin connector from the bottom of my UFS accidentally :facepalm: But now I have gotten that fixed, re-assembled the center pin thanks to the awesome video tutorials out there.

Back to my initial leaking issue. In the spare o-rings set that my other UFS came with, I found one ring that seems to be the correct size in diameter. When I put it into the top cap, it fits properly into the top groove of the inside of the top cap. However, there is a substantially large gap that remains between the body and the top cap edge when screwed in completely. I think I need a thinner o-ring? None in the spare set would fit as the rest of the o-rings in the set are smaller in diameter. Could someone point out any online source to buy quality o-rings?

So currently I have shifted from using my UFS v1 to the UFSv2 today. Surprisingly the v2 has an o-ring preinstalled for the top cap, but is in the bottom of the threads of top part of the body. The v2 top tube seems to have a groove to accommodate an o-ring and the ring here is thinner, so it does get completely concealed when the top cap is closed completely. Will be testing out the UFSv2 for the next few days, while I hunt for o-rings.

The v2 seems to have subtle differences from the v1. The overall height of the v2 seems to be slightly longer, the airflow control seems to be more accurate and provides finer control. Atleast thats what I feel. The v2 came with the top ring so that I can put any driptip on it, but to my eyes, no other driptip can ever do justice to the UFS. For me, it has to be Imeo's mouthpiece! I absolutely love it and have been hunting for a metal one ever since I got the UFS. The bigger base of the mouthpiece makes it feel much more secure and pocket friendly besides looking absolutely sexy :) I also noticed that the UFS v1 base has a slightly different color to the rest of the unit and my GG. I am guessing the base of the v1 isnt SS and nickel plated.

Over all, the GG+UFS is the best vape I have tried. I just cant wait to get my hands on an Odysseus! I'd love to build my own attys. Imeo, you got your self another fanboy in me :)

wreimer

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Great write-up! I also am new to the GG world, having gotten my Stealth in early January. I was VERY fortunate in getting my Ody at the same time, and getting my upgrade kit for it a couple of weeks ago.

As impressed as I was with the Ody from the start ( well, to be brutally honest, not from the start. Initially I was frustrated by it...couldn't get a working coil, couldn't stop it from flooding, etc.....then, I accepted the OWNER was the problem and not the device) getting the expansion kit opened up SO many more options with this device, it's hard to believe.

I went through the motions of assembling each different variation of the Ody, just so I knew how everything fit together. Then I settled on the big tank version, and until this morning, couldn't bring myself to move beyond that...it was simply too good to mess with.

Fill it up every two days, change the battery occasionally, enjoy wonderful vaping. After building so many BAD coils, I can now make a pretty decent one, and since I also stocked up on lots of wire and wick, I have gotten into the habit of building a new coil for each new tank of juice, so the flavor and vape is incredibly consistent.

This morning, I had to fill up again, so I thought I would build a new coil and try it in drip mode, since I haven't done that yet. I built the coil, and set it up as a drip unit. Since I also acquired a precise 10440 in January for an incredibly good price from someone paring down their vaping equipment stockpile ( "used" only in the strictest of definitions...I know it never had a full battery put through it...it's new for all intents and purposes), I decided to try the Ody in Drip mode on it.

Holy Smokes!!! I could start to REALLY like dripping! As compact as the Stealth is, the Precise 10440 is absolutely miniscule. With the Ody in drip mode mounted on it, it's barely larger than an Ego in diameter and length, but worlds ahead of it in quality and quantity of vapor.

The vapor is exactly as you would expect from an Ody...perfect. Tons of flavor, lots of vapor, and for some reason slightly warmer on the precise than on the Stealth, although that may be stricly the Ody producing warmer vapor in drip mode than in tank mode.

I thought the Stealth and Ody were a pretty damn good "stealth" vaping set-up...the Ody in Drip mode and the Precise are insane! With the bottom firing button on the Precise, it disappears in your hand. Of course, since there is no need for a 10 second cut-off on the Precise ( unlike the Ego and other devices like it where the concern for melt-down exists), you can take extremely long draws on it with impunity...the clouds of vapor you get from this tiny little "stick" of a thing are astonishing!

While I'm pretty sure I'll never be a dripper with any regularity ( just too much fussing around for my tastes) this configuration will most definetly be the "go-to" set-up for those occasions where NOT attracting any attention to your vaping is critical, or when size is important (I'm thinking I should have tried this a few days ago...I was at a "dress-up" function on Friday, and the Stealth and Ody in big tank mode was a problem to carry in a tuxedo).

I'll likely be switching it back to big tank mode when the battery in the Precise is exhausted..I have a bunch of photo editing to do today, and dripping while editing is not going to cut it. However, I AM very glad I tried it out this morning...it really gave me a completely new and exciting configuration to add to my "arsenal" of vaping tools. Don't abandon your hunt for an Ody...it may take you a while to find one, but rest assured; it is well worth the wait!

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
I am very glad darco, thanks a lot buddy:):)
Thanks for all the help and sorry for the late response. I spend the last few hours fixing the stupidest mistake I could make even after reading so much here, I pulled out the ceter pin connector from the bottom of my UFS accidentally :facepalm: But now I have gotten that fixed, re-assembled the center pin thanks to the awesome video tutorials out there.

Back to my initial leaking issue. In the spare o-rings set that my other UFS came with, I found one ring that seems to be the correct size in diameter. When I put it into the top cap, it fits properly into the top groove of the inside of the top cap. However, there is a substantially large gap that remains between the body and the top cap edge when screwed in completely. I think I need a thinner o-ring? None in the spare set would fit as the rest of the o-rings in the set are smaller in diameter. Could someone point out any online source to buy quality o-rings?

So currently I have shifted from using my UFS v1 to the UFSv2 today. Surprisingly the v2 has an o-ring preinstalled for the top cap, but is in the bottom of the threads of top part of the body. The v2 top tube seems to have a groove to accommodate an o-ring and the ring here is thinner, so it does get completely concealed when the top cap is closed completely. Will be testing out the UFSv2 for the next few days, while I hunt for o-rings.

The v2 seems to have subtle differences from the v1. The overall height of the v2 seems to be slightly longer, the airflow control seems to be more accurate and provides finer control. Atleast thats what I feel. The v2 came with the top ring so that I can put any driptip on it, but to my eyes, no other driptip can ever do justice to the UFS. For me, it has to be Imeo's mouthpiece! I absolutely love it and have been hunting for a metal one ever since I got the UFS. The bigger base of the mouthpiece makes it feel much more secure and pocket friendly besides looking absolutely sexy :) I also noticed that the UFS v1 base has a slightly different color to the rest of the unit and my GG. I am guessing the base of the v1 isnt SS and nickel plated.

Over all, the GG+UFS is the best vape I have tried. I just cant wait to get my hands on an Odysseus! I'd love to build my own attys. Imeo, you got your self another fanboy in me :)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
very nice wr my friend:)
Great write-up! I also am new to the GG world, having gotten my Stealth in early January. I was VERY fortunate in getting my Ody at the same time, and getting my upgrade kit for it a couple of weeks ago.

As impressed as I was with the Ody from the start ( well, to be brutally honest, not from the start. Initially I was frustrated by it...couldn't get a working coil, couldn't stop it from flooding, etc.....then, I accepted the OWNER was the problem and not the device) getting the expansion kit opened up SO many more options with this device, it's hard to believe.

I went through the motions of assembling each different variation of the Ody, just so I knew how everything fit together. Then I settled on the big tank version, and until this morning, couldn't bring myself to move beyond that...it was simply too good to mess with.

Fill it up every two days, change the battery occasionally, enjoy wonderful vaping. After building so many BAD coils, I can now make a pretty decent one, and since I also stocked up on lots of wire and wick, I have gotten into the habit of building a new coil for each new tank of juice, so the flavor and vape is incredibly consistent.

This morning, I had to fill up again, so I thought I would build a new coil and try it in drip mode, since I haven't done that yet. I built the coil, and set it up as a drip unit. Since I also acquired a precise 10440 in January for an incredibly good price from someone paring down their vaping equipment stockpile ( "used" only in the strictest of definitions...I know it never had a full battery put through it...it's new for all intents and purposes), I decided to try the Ody in Drip mode on it.

Holy Smokes!!! I could start to REALLY like dripping! As compact as the Stealth is, the Precise 10440 is absolutely miniscule. With the Ody in drip mode mounted on it, it's barely larger than an Ego in diameter and length, but worlds ahead of it in quality and quantity of vapor.

The vapor is exactly as you would expect from an Ody...perfect. Tons of flavor, lots of vapor, and for some reason slightly warmer on the precise than on the Stealth, although that may be stricly the Ody producing warmer vapor in drip mode than in tank mode.

I thought the Stealth and Ody were a pretty damn good "stealth" vaping set-up...the Ody in Drip mode and the Precise are insane! With the bottom firing button on the Precise, it disappears in your hand. Of course, since there is no need for a 10 second cut-off on the Precise ( unlike the Ego and other devices like it where the concern for melt-down exists), you can take extremely long draws on it with impunity...the clouds of vapor you get from this tiny little "stick" of a thing are astonishing!

While I'm pretty sure I'll never be a dripper with any regularity ( just too much fussing around for my tastes) this configuration will most definetly be the "go-to" set-up for those occasions where NOT attracting any attention to your vaping is critical, or when size is important (I'm thinking I should have tried this a few days ago...I was at a "dress-up" function on Friday, and the Stealth and Ody in big tank mode was a problem to carry in a tuxedo).

I'll likely be switching it back to big tank mode when the battery in the Precise is exhausted..I have a bunch of photo editing to do today, and dripping while editing is not going to cut it. However, I AM very glad I tried it out this morning...it really gave me a completely new and exciting configuration to add to my "arsenal" of vaping tools. Don't abandon your hunt for an Ody...it may take you a while to find one, but rest assured; it is well worth the wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread