Give any part a durable rubberized finish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Or there is a product called Sugru, google it, it conforms to any shape, is flexible but withstands tempuratures up to 180 degrees.

I'm a huge fan of Sugru and now it's available over at thinkgeek.com too..... I've found so many discrete uses for it on top of intended design uses. If you get the all-white pack from their UK shoppe you can easily color it to your specific liking too. -Magnus

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Just my 2 cents, I use heat shrink to seal/protect electronics all the time, Critter Man has it right, hit heat shrink hard and fast (mini butane torch, I use a propane plumbers torch...just don't have a yellow flame if you're using light coloured shrink) it'll react and shrink way faster than any delicate electronic component will absorb heat...good 3M heat shrink will react in less than 5 seconds, you can heat shrink your finger without burning yourself at that rate...

gumchewer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
south Jersey-in the woods
I use the tubing to label cartos sometimes. I cut a small ring of ⅜ tubing of whichever color and shrink it around the middle.

If you want to find the tubing real cheap go to a computer parts store. I get mine at my local Altex for around $1.50 for a 4 foot length. Granted, I use the stuff for other computer/electrical tinkering, so I have many different color/sizes laying around already. Also, having a variable temperature heat gun makes it much easier. I takes seconds to shrink as apposed to minutes.

As a warning, I would say to be very careful doing this with batteries. With heat guns you are getting anywhere from 250 to 1000 degree air. You want to use the lowest setting and direct the air to blow on just the edge of the tubing and not at the battery itself. Also remember the tubing will act as an insulator, so a battery used heavily will hold the heat longer and could increase the chance of critical failure.

Harbor freight is real cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread