Give this a try- Cartomizers on a 901

Status
Not open for further replies.

star4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2009
I don't know if anyone has tried this out or not but I use cartomizers on my prodigy.. I have regular 901 atomizers but the cartomizers work as well and cost a whole lot less. Cartomizers are marketed as being disposable but I have been reusing mine for a long time. The atomizers in them last as long if not longer than regular atomizers and you can get 5 of them for 6-8 bucks. Some of them don't have enough air flow but that is solved by putting a tiny hole in the cartomizer towrds the bottom, (where the 901 atomizer has one). They are so much cheaper that I have a bunch of them and don't have to worry when one burns out. Just a thought..try it out. Mist stix has cheap cartomizers.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
When you say: "putting a tiny hole in the cartomizer towrds the bottom," what does that entail? Drilling?

Of course this might be obvious to a 901 user; I'm an 801 man myself (but willing to buy the 901 adapter). I am familiar with cartomizers; my first e-cig was a KR808D-1. BTW, how are you refilling your cartomizers? Through the hole at the battery end?

Thanks!

BOREMAN

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
RVing the USA
When you say: "putting a tiny hole in the cartomizer towrds the bottom," what does that entail? Drilling?

Of course this might be obvious to a 901 user; I'm an 801 man myself (but willing to buy the 901 adapter). I am familiar with cartomizers; my first e-cig was a KR808D-1. BTW, how are you refilling your cartomizers? Through the hole at the battery end?

Thanks!
I use the Vapor King from Vapor4Life.com and havent used my other pv's since starting the VK 3 weeks ago. Their cartomizers have 4 holes and the draw is more close to a real analog (real slow and light). Yes, you refill them at the battery end. The VK carts have a grooved (not flat) hole in the battery end. When you drip in the hole it creates a vacuum and sucks it right in. When a cart goes dry, it will take 15-20 drips for a max fill. Though the cartomizers are advertised as being disposable, these in fact are not. I have refilled some of my carts 15+ times. I have also cleaned (washed) them out as well. See my thread "Refurbishing your cartomizer(s)" in this forum. The Vapor King produces great vapor and the throat kick is tremendous. Leaford rated the VK in his top 5 as best PV's out there (#3 behind the Prodigy). IMO, it is an excellent PV, a workhorse.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
I agree with you about the cartomizers. My first PV was a 510 and then I got the Vapor King. I have used the cartomizers for weeks. The trick to them is not letting them run dry. Just as with any other atomizer they need to stay wet. The first sign of the taste dropping off I will refill them.I usually pull off the white cap on the mouth piece end. Put the plug thing back into the battery end and then place the rubber cap on top of the plug. This keeps any liquid from dripping out and making a mess. With the white cap off I will drip juice down the sides of the filler material until I see that it has become wet looking. Usually between 10 and 15 drops. I found a cheap place to get blanks at Cigeasy.com.

I think I will try this drilling a hole trick when my prodigy comes in. This would only work on the cartomizers with that groove cut into the battery post. I have a bunch of them from various suppliers with and without those grooves. Glad I ordered the 901 now.. lol... I do really like the cartomizers because they just last and last. I just wonder how long they will last on the Prodigy. I wouldn't expect them to last as long as they do on the 3.7 battery but it would be nice for driving to cut down on the dripping and driving thing.

googled

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
ukvapers.com
I don't know if anyone has tried this out or not but I use cartomizers on my prodigy.. I have regular 901 atomizers but the cartomizers work as well and cost a whole lot less. Cartomizers are marketed as being disposable but I have been reusing mine for a long time. The atomizers in them last as long if not longer than regular atomizers and you can get 5 of them for 6-8 bucks. Some of them don't have enough air flow but that is solved by putting a tiny hole in the cartomizer towrds the bottom, (where the 901 atomizer has one). They are so much cheaper that I have a bunch of them and don't have to worry when one burns out. Just a thought..try it out. Mist stix has cheap cartomizers.
Thanks, that tip about the hole saved me getting a passthrough so I can use my own 901 pass instead ;). Considering how cheap the cartomizers are and the extra flavour production from the 808d's its well worth it. Just drilled a little hole in one and it works perfectly. Just have to get the hole in the correct position and not drill passed the edge of the cart.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
I've never used a cartomizer. does anyone know if you remove all the batting from the inside, can you drip with it?

I don't think that would be possible. The inside of the cartomizer doesn't actually have a place to drip. It is just a tube with a coil inside. The filler material holds it in the center.

There are many threads that show the inside of one. They are great when used right. They really bring out the flavor of juice well. I use the blank ones from Cigeasy.com and fill with my juice. When you get the prefilled ones you are basically mixing juices because you can't really wash out the filler material well.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
You can only use the cartomizers if you are ready to drill a hole in them. Those are the ones we are talking about. They fit the KR808d-1 also known as a Vapor King/ Nebula/ Easycig/ and a few others Cigeasy has the best price on blank ones (they are called DIY cartomizers actually) I haven't tried drilling one out yet but I will try tomorrow at work. Should work. I am actually going to try it on the Prodigy.... will report back on this tomorrow... Should be interesting at high voltage.... They already produce a great throat hit to begin with... Leaford swears by them and so do I... I carry one to work with me all the time... well at least I did until the Prodigy came TODAY>>>!!!

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Trapped within my imagination
Out of all the e-cig stuff I have bought..The cartomizers are the one thing I have never tried...I too would love a pic of the placement of the hole in the cartomizer.. That would be really kewl...I mean it would really rawk if someone would post one..Someone would have to be realllly sweet to do that (End of sucking up) lol

tvujec

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So you drilled a hole through the side of the cartomizer at the point where the threads end, careful not to drill into the actual cart? I saw a youtube video of someone drilling them out but he did not show to well exactly where to drill.

Drilling a hole in a cartomizer can be difficult, and you would have to do it for every cartomizer. On the other hand, it is pretty easy to put together an adapter that can be used for cartomizers.

Take 1 old 901 atty and 1 old 901 or KR808D battery. Put atty apart, leaving only battery contacts on it. Take the atty contacts from the battery and put it on the opposite side of the atty (it'll fit, just push it firmly). Atty body will carry negative contact, you just have to make sure that the positive contact goes through as well, either by soldering or simply connecting wires that come from both positive inner tips.

Added benefit is that you gain some distance from the prodigy body, since cartomizers are rather short. You can also use the same adapter for green cig cartomizers as well.

mpetva

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Virginia
Drilling a hole in a cartomizer can be difficult, and you would have to do it for every cartomizer. On the other hand, it is pretty easy to put together an adapter that can be used for cartomizers.

Take 1 old 901 atty and 1 old 901 or KR808D battery. Put atty apart, leaving only battery contacts on it. Take the atty contacts from the battery and put it on the opposite side of the atty (it'll fit, just push it firmly). Atty body will carry negative contact, you just have to make sure that the positive contact goes through as well, either by soldering or simply connecting wires that come from both positive inner tips.

Added benefit is that you gain some distance from the prodigy body, since cartomizers are rather short. You can also use the same adapter for green cig cartomizers as well.

Sorry, but I just can't figure out how to do this. Is there any way for you to post some pictures?? Please!!!!!!!!!

It would really help us more challenged Modders, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread