Glass won't come off of TFV12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihrmaniac97

Jul 9, 2017
Hi, just recently I switched out my tanks so I could clean my other of the other flavor I used before I got a new one. The other glass came off just fine, put this one on, used it a couple weeks, and needed to replace my atomizer. So i went to get it off, and this thing is STUCK, and i mean STUCK. I have tried EVERYTHING. Tried making it expand to come off easier, running it under hot or cold water for a bit, even tried vape tweezers, because of the terrible little bumps on the pieces that are next to the glass, the things slipped and broke the glass because i was still squeezing to try and remove the tank without breaking it. Never try using vape tweezers with the TFV12, don't do it. So, a few days later and decided to try and give it another go, and it's a pos to get off. I am thinking of resorting to just breaking the glass and replacing it with the other. Is there any measures I should take to clear out bits of glass in case I do decide to? This thing is REALLY making me mad.

ihrmaniac97

Jul 9, 2017
are you able to get either the top or bottom off of the unit? If so, which portion is the glass sticking to?
Both sides, since it vacuum seals itself i think it did it too tight. My friend has a rubber grip pad he bought from a vape shop so were gonna try it wednesday or thursday, if it doesn't work i'm just gonna bust it. Didn't have this problem with the first tank i was using, only this one.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My kid taught me the twist both ends in different directions thing.... That really helps. I'd think that if you bust it off, provided you are able to get the seals disconnected from the tank and rinse them thoroughly, (I'd probably be cleaning out the tank port, too) you'd be getting rid of any broken glass in there. How annoying. I have never had to smash a glass tank on *purpose* and given the number I've smashed accidentally, I'd be feeeling the suckage. Good luck. If you can get to a vape shop before smashing it yourself and feel so inclined, they may be able to help you ensure there aren't any glass shards anywhere, though that's probably me being overcautious, you can probably clean everything out fairly easily yourself.

Anna

Reactions: opticruby

ihrmaniac97

Jul 9, 2017
My kid taught me the twist both ends in different directions thing.... That really helps. I'd think that if you bust it off, provided you are able to get the seals disconnected from the tank and rinse them thoroughly, (I'd probably be cleaning out the tank port, too) you'd be getting rid of any broken glass in there. How annoying. I have never had to smash a glass tank on *purpose* and given the number I've smashed accidentally, I'd be feeeling the suckage. Good luck. If you can get to a vape shop before smashing it yourself and feel so inclined, they may be able to help you ensure there aren't any glass shards anywhere, though that's probably me being overcautious, you can probably clean everything out fairly easily yourself.

Anna
Yeah, but if I do that it'll cost extra money and i'm currently out of work for a couple weeks because of remodeling, so don't have much money. Would prefer to break and replace it than pay 20 bucks for someone else to fix it.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
If the tank is already cracked, I personally don't feel it's safe to try and twist off the glass. Much easier to crack it all gently and knock the pieces in the trash. Same thing with a cracked drinking glass. Don't wash it, trash it.

When you put all that force to grab, squeeze and twist something that has already failed, you are risking an unexpected failure which could easily remove lots of your flesh. I've seen hands cut down to the bone before, ligaments showing, bones, in a living - still working hand. Just from trying to do stupid things with broken glass.

Bust it out in a safe place, rinse it to get rid of the little shards and stick on a new glass tube.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
ahhh... I didnt catch the part where the glass already has a crack in it... go ahead and wrap some cloth or tape around the glass and break it out the rest of the way... trying to twist loose an atty with a cracked glass tank is asking for several stitches in your thumb/fingers... along with the possibility of severed nerves ( perminent damage)...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi, just recently I switched out my tanks so I could clean my other of the other flavor I used before I got a new one. The other glass came off just fine, put this one on, used it a couple weeks, and needed to replace my atomizer. So i went to get it off, and this thing is STUCK, and i mean STUCK. I have tried EVERYTHING. Tried making it expand to come off easier, running it under hot or cold water for a bit, even tried vape tweezers, because of the terrible little bumps on the pieces that are next to the glass, the things slipped and broke the glass because i was still squeezing to try and remove the tank without breaking it. Never try using vape tweezers with the TFV12, don't do it. So, a few days later and decided to try and give it another go, and it's a pos to get off. I am thinking of resorting to just breaking the glass and replacing it with the other. Is there any measures I should take to clear out bits of glass in case I do decide to? This thing is REALLY making me mad.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to talk to the Smok distributor or a local B&M Vape shop about how to prevent this condition from happening again.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I like the idea of using clear tape to keep the glass together. I will use that in the future if I have to....

Yes, you might want to do a little assembly/disassembly with your local B&M if they won't charge you for *that* or at least look at some youtube videos of doing so, though the "twist in either direction" thing was not that easy for me to master, at first. I needed my kiddo's hands on mine to show me the motion, I am kinesthetically challenged. Fortunately, he knew that, (the kid) so he "Sigh mom" was willing to stick around for a bit to get things going... Some of those tanks are like... hard. When you add in that it's glass... well... I think there are tools you can get too, similar to those you use to open glass bottles if you aren't strong enough.... They work awesome, my days of banging jars of pickles on the floor to dislodge the lid and whatnot are over (probably for the best).

Anna

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
If it is the first time trying to get it apart then it's stuck because they put it together dry without lubricating the o-rings. Next time put it in the freezer for an hour to harden the silicone rings and stop them from sticking to the glass.

Always use something between your hand and the glass when trying to turn/pull it off because the glass can beak and cut your hand very badly.

ihrmaniac97

Jul 9, 2017
If it is the first time trying to get it apart then it's stuck because they put it together dry without lubricating the o-rings. Next time put it in the freezer for an hour to harden the silicone rings and stop them from sticking to the glass.

Always use something between your hand and the glass when trying to turn/pull it off because the glass can beak and cut your hand very badly.
Yup, thats what the vape tweezers were for. I asked the company who sold it if it would work for a TFV12, they said yes, but those annoying little bumps on the parts you have to grab made the tweezers/multi tool slip and break the glass, i was so mad, never ordering those again unless i get a different tank. The TFV12 is great besides a couple design flaws, they should have some type of locking mechanism for the airflow control to make it easier to take the tank apart, and they should remove the annoying little bumps on it which make it harder to grip than it should. The airflow is way too close to the part where you need to grab, and the annoying push down and twist off cover for the part of the tank you fill through always pops off when you're trying to take the tank apart. I have big hands so its really difficult.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread