Gluten free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettweer

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI, USA
Just noticed Alisa1970 added this link: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/71473-gluten-content-eliquids.html

Yes that article discussing "natural flavors" listed on an ingredient list is helpful. However, it does reference rules that apply to products regulated by the FDA which eliquids are not and also does not cover "artificial flavors". That being said, based on this, I'm not overly concerned about the natural flavors. What is concerning however is why companies like Johnson Creek won't come out and say that their flavors are gluten free? A local shop has contacted them to inquire about this and they won't confirm nor deny.

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Just noticed Alisa1970 added this link: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/71473-gluten-content-eliquids.html

Yes that article discussing "natural flavors" listed on an ingredient list is helpful. However, it does reference rules that apply to products regulated by the FDA which eliquids are not and also does not cover "artificial flavors". That being said, based on this, I'm not overly concerned about the natural flavors.

Liquids in toto are not regulated, but the ingredients are, including both artificial and natural flavorings:

CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21

What is concerning however is why companies like Johnson Creek won't come out and say that their flavors are gluten free? A local shop has contacted then to inquire about this and they won't confirm nor deny.

There could be many reasons. One that I can think of is that they probably don't have the time or incentive (yet) to go through all the ingredients in all the flavorings they use, see how each item was extracted and investigate whether that might pose any risk, and then report back to a very small percentage of customers who are interested to know. Time is money, and I could guess that it would require paying one person to do nothing but research.

A quote from that thread I linked to struck me as informative:

There is no gluten in e-juices that I know of. I have dozens of flavors and none have gluten in them, nor have I ever seen it listed. Not saying there are no flavors with it, but if anyone knows of any, please list them. Gluten in an e-juice would be a serious problem for the atty, besides the health concerns in this thread. I for one, would avoid such a flavor. It would gum up everything. All flavors I have used are simply flavor compounds, PG or VG, and maybe some water.

Yes, none of the Lorann's or Capellas have gluten that I have ever seen.

Brettweer

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI, USA
Good stuff. Here are a couple more good articles that help clear up labeling questions.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/copingwiththediet/a/Gluten-On-Food-Labels.htm

Ask the Expert: Shelley Case Clears Up Some Gluten-Free Myths | Delight Gluten Free Magazine

The bottom line is natural and artificial flavors can be derived from barley which contains gluten. It is well documented that it is rare in North America that companies would hide this without also adding barley malt extract or barley malt flavoring to the ingredient list, but it's not 100%.

As I've said before, I feel generally safe about it all and not overly stressed about the topic. Would simply be nice to be 100% sure!

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Good stuff. Here are a couple more good articles that help clear up labeling questions.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/copingwiththediet/a/Gluten-On-Food-Labels.htm

Ask the Expert: Shelley Case Clears Up Some Gluten-Free Myths | Delight Gluten Free Magazine

The bottom line is natural and artificial flavors can be derived from barley which contains gluten. It is well documented that it is rare in North America that companies would hide this without also adding barley malt extract or barley malt flavoring to the ingredient list, but it's not 100%.

As I've said before, I feel generally safe about it all and not overly stressed about the topic. Would simply be nice to be 100% sure!

Agree with you 100%. :)

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
I'm a server in a restaurant. Been serving since 1998. Only recently, I'd say the past four to five years, I keep seeing gluten-free people coming in. Celiac disease. The first time someone asked me about it, I jokingly said, "We don't serve Klingon here." I was woefully uneducated about it back then.

But how come it's all of a sudden a new thing? I was serving the same food to people eight years ago and no one ever complained. Is the celiac disease a new discovery? I mean, we now have gluten-free menus at work. But where were they x amount of years ago? Why now?

Celiac disease has been known about since the second century and gained attention in western medicine in the mid 1800s. It affects 0.18–1.2% of the general population. It is a pretty horrible genetic condition that severely impacts those who have it.

The recent uptick in people who claim gluten intolerance is, in my opinion, due to this being the most recent diet craze. There is nothing wrong with these people, they just see going gluten free as some sort of magical woo that is going to make them healthier. I have several friends that fall in this category, all of which have been "diagnosed" by a chiropractor using applied kinesiology.

These friends of mine, and others like them, are crazy.

Angiebubs

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2013
Amery, WI
One other reason for the increase of Celiac diseases is-the medical community becoming more aware and trained to look for this. In Europe, it has been standard to test for this during regular medical check ups.

The only reason this was discovered with my daughter is due to her diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. During the Type 1 diagnosis, they now test for 5 other auto immune disorders. They came back and told me she had Celiac and I said it sounded crazy as she never showed symptoms. I insisted on a biopsy which confirmed she had it, but very little damage at that point to her villi. Thank goodness for the testing befor eshe developed more severe irreversible problems. Now if she eats gluten she ends up with massive stomach and headaches.

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
One other reason for the increase of Celiac diseases is-the medical community becoming more aware and trained to look for this. In Europe, it has been standard to test for this during regular medical check ups.

The only reason this was discovered with my daughter is due to her diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. During the Type 1 diagnosis, they now test for 5 other auto immune disorders. They came back and told me she had Celiac and I said it sounded crazy as she never showed symptoms. I insisted on a biopsy which confirmed she had it, but very little damage at that point to her villi. Thank goodness for the testing befor eshe developed more severe irreversible problems. Now if she eats gluten she ends up with massive stomach and headaches.

I'm happy she got diagnosed early. My mother had Type 1 diabetes, I give every year to the American Diabetes Association.

Jamie.leigh23

Jan 21, 2014
Epping, NH
Thanks for pointing it out about gluten, since I have celiac I never would have thought that juice could have gluten in it. Wow maybe that's why I've had stomach problems lately.

Ditto that. I'm allergic to wheat- not celiac - but as a result of the allergy I order from gluten free menus. Hadn't occurred to me about ejuice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie.leigh23

Jan 21, 2014
Epping, NH
Thanks for the article. Curious who your favorite vendor is. I'm just venturing into checking out others outside of my local shop. Have orders on the way from Virgin Vapors, Vapor Chef and Rocket Fuel. Plan to try Ahlusion next month. I have not asked Chef or Rocket about gluten free status yet. Figured I'd give them a little business before I pester them :)

You said you haven't contacted Vapor Chef or Rocket Fuel about being GF. How about Ahlusion, have you found out anything about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread