GLV 2 is here and pre-order is now open!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Nebula how did you get the cool looking letters on it? I never saw font options on the txt. I opted not to get anything to speed up the process of getting me the GLV-2.

Your PV just looks outstanding!

Dude, that is $hua's GLV, mine is the Nebula-Green one - look back to top of page 44 in this thread.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, GA
maybe... but if you look at jay profile pic.. he looks pretty tall.. which would support my orc theory.

Edited: So my batteries went dead on me around 9:45pm.. i started using them right around 6pm.. now.. i did not charge them before i used them.. furthor more i put them on the charger when i got them and they lights on the charger came up green... that cant be right on the life span of the batts can it?... it must be because they didnt get a charge... regardless of what the lights on the charger said.. i should have let em charge huh?

Last edited:

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
maybe... but if you look at jay profile pic.. he looks pretty tall.. which would support my orc theory.

Edited: So my batteries went dead on me around 9:45pm.. i started using them right around 6pm.. now.. i did not charge them before i used them.. furthor more i put them on the charger when i got them and they lights on the charger came up green... that cant be right on the life span of the batts can it?... it must be because they didnt get a charge... regardless of what the lights on the charger said.. i should have let em charge huh?

I usually get about 6-8 hours of use on my aw's 123's 750Mah with moderate vaping.
you probably need a good charge. when i put mine in the charger i always make sure i kind of spin them around to make sure they are making good connections.

what batteries are you using?

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
honestly thats what im guessing.. i was kinda shocked to find the batteries worked right out of the box in the first place... im gonna let them charge over night then clock their usage time tomorrow and report back on it.

But i am thinking ill be needing a second set of batts regardless... even if they last 8hrs on a charge.. my work day is 8hrs... and i dont plan on waiting to vape while a set of batts recharges, and now that ive vaped this GLV..im not sure i could go back to LR atties on an eGo.. the vapor is just better on 5v...

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
honestly thats what im guessing.. i was kinda shocked to find the batteries worked right out of the box in the first place... im gonna let them charge over night then clock their usage time tomorrow and report back on it.

But i am thinking ill be needing a second set of batts regardless... even if they last 8hrs on a charge.. my work day is 8hrs... and i dont plan on waiting to vape while a set of batts recharges, and now that ive vaped this GLV..im not sure i could go back to LR atties on an eGo.. the vapor is just better on 5v...

yeah I hear ya on the 5v vs the ego. 2 sets are always the best way to go.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA

What is the exact battery you received? You said AW but which one? What is the mAh? - should be printed on the side. If it IS 750, you may not have had a full charge even if they did go green when you put them on the charger. If they are 500 mAh, obviously the life will not be 6-8 hours. Also, keep in mind, with your brand spankin new (first HV?) mod, you may have been vaping a bit more than your usual vaping pattern. I know when I got my first HV, I could not put the friggin thing down! :lol:

HV veterans, please indulge me while I attempt to share some info with those who may be new to HV. If this IS your first HV, you might consider trying different 3.3 oHm attys on a 5V device. I have no idea which atty Jay sent you but most regular 510s are 2.5 oHm. 901s, and 801s are both native 3.3 oHm and you can get 3.3 oHm 510 attys too. If this is your first experience with 5V, you may find 3.3 oHm brings out more flavor in your juices. And, you will get a bit more batt life with a 3.3oHm atty over a 2.5 as well (just like using LR - 1.7 or 1.8 oHms - atty on 3.7 device shortens batt life - 2.5 oHms will be less batt life than 3.3 oHms).

For anyone else getting their first HV mod, vaping sweet spot is often, to many anyway, more about the watts than the volts. Watts = HEAT. Watts are a combination of the volts and the ohms. While LR attys can "simulate" HV vaping, the vaping experience is "simulated" and NOT the same at all.

The formula is VxV/oHms=watts. So if we use a 2.5 ohm 510 atty on a 5V GLV: 5Vx5V/2.5oHms=10 watts. This is pretty hot and VG burns at lower temps than PG. So, you can burn out flavor at 10+ watts - especially if you use VG in your juices. The more VG the more likely you will suffer flavor loss at 10+ watts. If you use a 3.3 ohm atty: 5Vx5V/3.3ohms=7.57 watts. This is right in the range I find brings out the best vapor and the most flavor from (all) juices. And, equal ohms do not mean the same vaping experience. Get some adapters for 901 and 801 and try each because all three are very different vaping experiences.

If you are vaping at full 6V, you might consider trying a 4.5 oHm atty: 6Vx6V/4.5=8 watts. I find the sweet spot in the 7.5 - 8 (ish) range with 8 being optimal but 7.5 true still waaaay better than LRs 'simulating". I say "ish" because many mods are not restricted like the 5V GLV version.

When you are using removable (not eGo/Tormano/mini(s) as those may be restricted down to 3.2{ish}) 3.7s can come off a charger at 4.2 volts. For those using unrestricted devices stacking 3 Volts batts, I suggest you consider using a charger that has a manual switch to force the charge to limit down to 3 volts otherwise your 3 volt batts may over-charge to the 3.7-4.2 range. This is not an issue for those of us getting the power restricted 5V version but if you are getting the unrestricted 6V version, you could easily end up vaping in the 7.2+ Volt range without knowing it.

There are many inexpensive multimeters on the market, I have one and constantly monitor my batts actual voltage charges so that I KNOW the volts pushing thru unrestricted devices. These are also great for testing the oHms of your attys which can help you keep them organized and separated.

So, like I said, LRs may "simulate" the watts but yield a very different vape. 3.7Vx3.7V/1.7oHms=8.05 watts. But vape 3.7 with LR atty and compare next to 5V mods with a 3.3 oHm attys or 6V mods with 4.5 oHm attys and I am guessing you will see/feel/taste the difference for yourself very quickly.

To those who already know all of this, thanks for indulging my efforts to share this info. :toast:

Last edited:

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
What is the exact battery you received? You said AW but which one? What is the mAh? - should be printed on the side. If it IS 750, you may not have had a full charge even if they did go green when you put them on the charger. If they are 500 mAh, obviously the life will not be 6-8 hours. Also, keep in mind, with your brand spankin new (first HV?) mod, you may have been vaping a bit more than your usual vaping pattern. I know when I got my first HV, I could not put the friggin thing down! :lol:

HV veterans, please indulge me while I attempt to share some info with those who may be new to HV. If this IS your first HV, you might consider trying different 3.3 oHm attys on a 5V device. I have no idea which atty Jay sent you but most regular 510s are 2.5 oHm. 901s, and 801s are both native 3.3 oHm and you can get 3.3 oHm 510 attys too. If this is your first experience with 5V, you may find 3.3 oHm brings out more flavor in your juices. And, you will get a bit more batt life with a 3.3oHm atty over a 2.5 as well (just like using LR - 1.7 or 1.8 oHms - atty on 3.7 device shortens batt life - 2.5 oHms will be less batt life than 3.3 oHms).

For anyone else getting their first HV mod, vaping sweet spot is often, to many anyway, more about the watts than the volts. Watts = HEAT. Watts are a combination of the volts and the ohms. While LR attys can "simulate" HV vaping, the vaping experience is "simulated" and NOT the same at all.

The formula is VxV/oHms=watts. So if we use a 2.5 ohm 510 atty on a 5V GLV: 5Vx5V/2.5oHms=10 watts. This is pretty hot and VG burns at lower temps than PG. So, you can burn out flavor at 10+ watts - especially if you use VG in your juices. The more VG the more likely you will suffer flavor loss at 10+ watts. If you use a 3.3 ohm atty: 5Vx5V/3.3ohms=7.57 watts. This is right in the range I find brings out the best vapor and the most flavor from (all) juices. And, equal ohms do not mean the same vaping experience. Get some adapters for 901 and 801 and try each because all three are very different vaping experiences.

If you are vaping at full 6V, you might consider trying a 4.5 oHm atty: 6Vx6V/4.5=8 watts. I find the sweet spot in the 7.5 - 8 (ish) range with 8 being optimal but 7.5 true still waaaay better than LRs 'simulating". I say "ish" because many mods are not restricted like the 5V GLV version.

When you are using removable (not eGo/Tormano/mini(s) as those may be restricted down to 3.2{ish}) 3.7s can come off a charger at 4.2 volts. For those using unrestricted devices stacking 3 Volts batts, I suggest you consider using a charger that has a manual switch to force the charge to limit down to 3 volts otherwise your 3 volt batts may over-charge to the 3.7-4.2 range. This is not an issue for those of us getting the power restricted 5V version but if you are getting the unrestricted 6V version, you could easily end up vaping in the 7.2+ Volt range without knowing it.

There are many inexpensive multimeters on the market, I have one and constantly monitor my batts actual voltage charges so that I KNOW the volts pushing thru unrestricted devices. These are also great for testing the oHms of your attys which can help you keep them organized and separated.

So, like I said, LRs may "simulate" the watts but yield a very different vape. 3.7Vx3.7V/1.7oHms=8.05 watts. But vape 3.7 with LR atty and compare next to 5V mods with a 3.3 oHm attys or 6V mods with 4.5 oHm attys and I am guessing you will see/feel/taste the difference for yourself very quickly.

To those who already know all of this, thanks for indulging my efforts to share this info. :toast:

Very Good points made Neb..

Indeed.. i personally hate math, so im glad someone else got that out of the way for us.. i will say that the ask a vet forum pointed me to the watt conversion formulas about 2mths ago. (ohm's law... i think is the name of it)

Im using the AW 750mah batts that Jay ships with the Kit... Also this morning when i went to retrieve the batteries from their charger.... i noticed a very small recessed switch on the charger's body itself... the switch appears to set the charger between 3v - 3.6v... it is current set to the 3v setting (i havent touched it) should i move the switch to 3.6v? Are my batteries not charging up to their potential with this switch at 3v? Anyone else seen this switch and/or know what it does or should be doing?

Here is the switch in question:
20100626100818.jpg

so the batteries charge for around 9hrs... from 1ish am.. to 10am.. however it looks like they were charged with that switch set at 3v.. dont know how this will effect them... but i will be taking note of how long they last today.

Edited: So here is another odd thing.... i was vaping on a 3.2ohm carto on my GLV most of the time last night... when my batts went cold, the carto was on the GLV... pulled the carto off and stuck it on my eGo batt to keep rolling while at the bar.... ok no big deal so far... get home charge GLV batts while i sleep it off... wake up load up fresh batts in GLV.. attach carto back on... fire button.. nothing.. not a sizzle or a crackle or anything.. hmmm is GLV broken? so i put carto back on eGo.. it fires, but the vapor production is far off from what it was last night while the carto was on the eGo... SO: Im thinking the carto is partially dead.. but the odd thing.. is the GLV current protection preventing the GLV from firing the carto because it senses that there is an incorrect amount of current being delivered to it? anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited:

jaybird

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
MI USA
www.greatlakesvapor.com
You have to switch the charger to 3.6v , it does make a difference. It sounds like the batteries did not get a full charge last night. Also if you put the batteries in and the leds on the charger turn green and not red that means they are not charging. btw Great post neb, good stuff.

Last edited:

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
right on.. i just switched it over to 3.6v on the charger base and im gonna recharge the batts now....

but why then does the carto not work at all on the GLV.. batts are charged w/ 9hrs at the 3v switch setting... my other atties work just fine right this second on the GLV.. the carto in question works on my eGo but produces lil vapor (im relatively certain part of its coil is bad)... but when i take the carto off the eGo and put it on the GLV nothing happens.. not even the slightest sizzle...

is this the undercurrent protection feature of the batteries?

from lighthound : "Spare 750 mAh battery for RCR123 Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery Kit. These cells are protected against overcharge, over discharge, over current and short-circuit."

is one of those things the reason why this "on its way out" carto wont fire on the GLV?

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
right on.. i just switched it over to 3.6v on the charger base and im gonna recharge the batts now....

but why then does the carto not work at all on the GLV.. batts are charged w/ 9hrs at the 3v switch setting... my other atties work just fine right this second on the GLV.. the carto in question works on my eGo but produces lil vapor (im relatively certain part of its coil is bad)... but when i take the carto off the eGo and put it on the GLV nothing happens.. not even the slightest sizzle...

is this the undercurrent protection feature of the batteries?

from lighthound : "Spare 750 mAh battery for RCR123 Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery Kit. These cells are protected against overcharge, over discharge, over current and short-circuit."

is one of those things the reason why this "on its way out" carto wont fire on the GLV?

Hua if this is a 510 carto sometimes the center post is not making good connection as there are a minute differences in threads from 510 to 510 manufacturer. if you putll out the center post just slightly on the carto battery end. you will swee a hole in the battery end of the carto. If you can take a thumbtack or something like that, and wiggle it as you are pulling out just a very little it will most likely work. Sounds like it isnt making a connection to the connector on the glv.. I have to do that at times with 510s on different mods I own.. Works almost every time..

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Hua if this is a 510 carto sometimes the center post is not making good connection as there are a minute differences in threads from 510 to 510 manufacturer. if you putll out the center post just slightly on the carto battery end. you will swee a hole in the battery end of the carto. If you can take a thumbtack or something like that, and wiggle it as you are pulling out just a very little it will most likely work. Sounds like it isnt making a connection to the connector on the glv.. I have to do that at times with 510s on different mods I own.. Works almost every time..

damnit man.. your a genious..

the funny thing is.. i recall seeing a thread or video about this somewhere here on ECF... but i have severe short term memory issues....

did it.. carto is back to firing off on the GLV...

Thanks Doots.. your a life saver man.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com

the funny thing is.. i recall seeing a thread or video about this somewhere here on ECF... but i have severe short term memory issues....

great/ glad to help/

jaybird

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
MI USA
www.greatlakesvapor.com

Agreed...Doots is an asset to this whole forum. On a side note I picked up 25 more long body GLVs. I wanted to let everyone here know before I post them on the suppliers forum in a few days.

Last edited:

jaybird

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
MI USA
www.greatlakesvapor.com

LOL I'm only 5' 10 and around 180 ,but I do have big hands an feet..and you know what they say bout that..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread