Going the rebuildable and mech mod route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi all

My first post. Been a member for a while but havent posted yet. Am from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Been a smoker for about 17 yrs and switched to vaping recently. Havent touched a real cig for about 45 days. Am amazed at how good vaping is.

Thank you all for a super forum. Its really good.

My path has probably been quite typical. Started on a Janty clearo (mid size device) marketed here in SA as Twisp. Still use it. Now i have a Protank 2 (both the Mega and Mini), electrical mods (Vision Spinner and iTaste VV) am quite happy so far. Busy going through juices finding out what i like.

Here's my question. Should i go the rebuildable and mech mod route? How much better a vaping experience can one expect to get? I dont want to spend the time and money if the experience is only slightly better...

Any thoughts and advice?

EDIT - its not so much the money issue, but more the time issue I am worried about.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Building coils and tinkering is fun...if you like tinkering and building coils. It can easily get out of hand and really expensive, too. You don't need to spend a lot of money on new equipment, though. My wife likes Protanks...so, I rebuilt the coils in her Protanks, then her EVOD heads. A micro coil wick'd with cotton in one of those things is pretty impressive and only costs a few cents to do. There's plenty of videos showing you how. If you like it, move on up to bigger stuff, if not, just enjoy what you have and save the money. Either way, congrats on quitting smoking!

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
The rebuildable / mechanical vaping gear market is only hitting its stride now with more and more gear coming out all the time (not to mention clones).
Most of it is a "variation on a theme" … and there are endless offerings.

I've been following the evolution for a few years now, and i'd be easily confused if I started out about now, but there's lots of fun to be had.

*some of my advanced vape buddies swear by the flavor and vapor you can get out of rebuilding your Protanks so don't let that slip by without your thorough attention to what they can do.

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Building coils and tinkering is fun...if you like tinkering and building coils. It can easily get out of hand and really expensive, too. You don't need to spend a lot of money on new equipment, though. My wife likes Protanks...so, I rebuilt the coils in her Protanks, then her EVOD heads. A micro coil wick'd with cotton in one of those things is pretty impressive and only costs a few cents to do. There's plenty of videos showing you how. If you like it, move on up to bigger stuff, if not, just enjoy what you have and save the money. Either way, congrats on quitting smoking!

Thanks Asbestos for the encouragement! I hear you on not having to spend a lot of money. For me its actually more of a time issue. But I hear you. Thanks

Many people like REOs with Reomizers bottom feeders. Or a tube mod with an RBA.

Thanks Racehorse. I have heard so myself. Hopefully going to try one of these devices soon. Only a few folk here in SA have them. One of them lives closeby so have asked if I can try his. If its great, then I will consider this device. Seems like it has many of the issues of vaping sorted.

The rebuildable / mechanical vaping gear market is only hitting its stride now with more and more gear coming out all the time (not to mention clones).
Most of it is a "variation on a theme" … and there are endless offerings.

I've been following the evolution for a few years now, and i'd be easily confused if I started out about now, but there's lots of fun to be had.

*some of my advanced vape buddies swear by the flavor and vapor you can get out of rebuilding your Protanks so don't let that slip by without your thorough attention to what they can do.

Thanks ukeman - I will try a Protank rebuild and see what its like

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
I spent a lot of time watching many a video on youtube reviewing different mods, and settled on a brass Nemesis clone. Safe Vapers on youtube reviewed this mod alongside the real deal, and I was impressed at how close the clone was to the original. Rather than going with fasttech, I found the Nemesis on ebay for about three dollars more... well worth it since it's shipped from the US rather than from China. I also snagged a Trident clone, again from ebay due to quicker shipping. Once all the equipment arrives, it's back to youtube to learn more about coils and wicks, hehe. Since everyone seems to rave about dripping, I figured it is time for me to dive in.Between Safe Vapers and Rip Trippers, I hopefully will be successful.
Gluck!

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
You are right and thanks for the reply Billy

I am happy for now, but I guess, just hearing how much better flavour and throat hit others say they are getting from tinkering and rebuilding coils makes me curious.

if you don't wanna invest in all the crazy mechs and all...try to rebuild a Kanger coil or two...the principle is the same...the investment minimal (wire and wick) $10 for plenty

gmb225

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
somerset ky
when i started with mech mods i bought a stainless steel mod for 80 bucks. i was very disatisfied due to a .5 volt drop across coil. if i made a coil below 1 ohm the vape wasn't any good. so i bought a grand vapor clone, though it had a very low drop and worked good there was no quality in the mod. bottom firing button keeps coming loose. was easy to cross thread atty. more money wasted and i got tired of dripping. really wasn't good or practical to leave home with. then i bought a used reo grand in the classifieds on here, and i been so satisfied with it and the rm2 i've never looked back. though it has some voltage drop it gives a great vape with a 10 wrap micro coil 26 guage and cotton wick. running at .9 ohms. easy to clean and has to be the easiest atty to build a coil on cause there is so much room between the posts. my only regret is the money i wasted till i found what i want and needed to stay off cigs! the only money i spend now is for juice. and i been buying some top notched stuff!

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
While my Reo is incredible and taking all of my time from my other vape gear, if the OP is not looking to spend much, I would suggest you just try your hand with RBAs without worrying about the mechanical mod quite yet.

There is no rule that says that RBAs are only for mechanical mods. I actually never used mechanical mods regularly until I picked up my Reo (which is more than a stupid battery holder!) I still got more flavor and oomph even while I was just using them on my MVP or Zmax.

The only thing a mechanical mod does for you that your regulated mods won't is fire on an atomizer below 1.2 ohms. This is definitely not where anyone should start anyways .

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Originally I looked into RBA,s out of fear that the FDA might come down on us with a heavy boot. I just figured it was prudent to learn how to build one 'just in case'. I quickly found that I could make a RBA/RDA do about anything I wanted. It's just as easy to set one up to vape exactly like what you are use to as it is to set one up for an outlandish vape.

I had mechanical PV's long before I had a VV PV. All that was available when I started were the expensive Darwin & Provari, and a hand full of home made box mods. The 'latest & greatest' from China back then was the eGo-T. So mechanicals were the best deal in town back then.

dice57

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Wa
    rba's and mechanicals are great. I first started with a regulated mod and a PT, was off smokes but felt something was missing, that's when I decided to try rba's, that took care of the missing part of the equation and brought enlightenment. More Vape, more taste, much more satisfaction than and smoke could provide.

Find a good rba, learn to build, measure ohms and see where that takes you. If you decide to go mechanical, recommend something like the Nemesis clone by Hcigar and an Evolv Kick 2. The Kick 2 will turn a mechanical into a regulated VW mod, accept build from .5-3 ohms, and can be maxed out to 15 watts. Also gives you all the protection and consistent vape as the best regulated mods out there. Then if you want more, simply go sub ohm and remove the Kick, and you can have it all.

With a set up like that, you can learn and explore all aspects of vape. Do your research on IMR batteries, amp limits and ohms law. Everything you need to know and learn is on this forum.

Silver1

ECF Veteran
    Nov 11, 2013
    +1 for the Reo..

when i started with mech mods i bought a stainless steel mod for 80 bucks. i was very disatisfied due to a .5 volt drop across coil. if i made a coil below 1 ohm the vape wasn't any good. so i bought a grand vapor clone, though it had a very low drop and worked good there was no quality in the mod. bottom firing button keeps coming loose. was easy to cross thread atty. more money wasted and i got tired of dripping. really wasn't good or practical to leave home with. then i bought a used reo grand in the classifieds on here, and i been so satisfied with it and the rm2 i've never looked back. though it has some voltage drop it gives a great vape with a 10 wrap micro coil 26 guage and cotton wick. running at .9 ohms. easy to clean and has to be the easiest atty to build a coil on cause there is so much room between the posts. my only regret is the money i wasted till i found what i want and needed to stay off cigs! the only money i spend now is for juice. and i been buying some top notched stuff!

While my Reo is incredible and taking all of my time from my other vape gear, if the OP is not looking to spend much, I would suggest you just try your hand with RBAs without worrying about the mechanical mod quite yet.

There is no rule that says that RBAs are only for mechanical mods. I actually never used mechanical mods regularly until I picked up my Reo (which is more than a stupid battery holder!) I still got more flavor and oomph even while I was just using them on my MVP or Zmax.

The only thing a mechanical mod does for you that your regulated mods won't is fire on an atomizer below 1.2 ohms. This is definitely not where anyone should start anyways .

Thanks Joshinthecity, gmb225 and Jazzi Mike, I take it you are all happy with your REOs. I know of someone near me in Johannesburg that has one so I intend giving it a try on his unit. If I like it, I suspect I may be able to cut out all the other equipment ;-)

Thanks for your suggestion Jazzi Mike. The cost is actually not my primary concern, perhaps I should have emphasised the time aspect more in my original post. I appreciate your comments.

You have all been very helpful. Thanks again.

Silver1

ECF Veteran
    Nov 11, 2013
    rba's and mechanicals are great. I first started with a regulated mod and a PT, was off smokes but felt something was missing, that's when I decided to try rba's, that took care of the missing part of the equation and brought enlightenment. More Vape, more taste, much more satisfaction than and smoke could provide.

Find a good rba, learn to build, measure ohms and see where that takes you. If you decide to go mechanical, recommend something like the Nemesis clone by Hcigar and an Evolv Kick 2. The Kick 2 will turn a mechanical into a regulated VW mod, accept build from .5-3 ohms, and can be maxed out to 15 watts. Also gives you all the protection and consistent vape as the best regulated mods out there. Then if you want more, simply go sub ohm and remove the Kick, and you can have it all.

With a set up like that, you can learn and explore all aspects of vape. Do your research on IMR batteries, amp limits and ohms law. Everything you need to know and learn is on this forum.

Thanks dice57 your comments are very helpful. As I posted above, if I don't like the REO after trying it, I will embark on the path you have suggested.

Silver1

ECF Veteran
    Nov 11, 2013
    Originally I looked into RBA,s out of fear that the FDA might come down on us with a heavy boot. I just figured it was prudent to learn how to build one 'just in case'. I quickly found that I could make a RBA/RDA do about anything I wanted. It's just as easy to set one up to vape exactly like what you are use to as it is to set one up for an outlandish vape.

I had mechanical PV's long before I had a VV PV. All that was available when I started were the expensive Darwin & Provari, and a hand full of home made box mods. The 'latest & greatest' from China back then was the eGo-T. So mechanicals were the best deal in town back then.

Thanks tj99959, much appreciated. And congrats for being off cigarettes for nearly 3 years! Great achievement

stylezuk

ECF Veteran
    Nov 16, 2013
    I started of with Ego and Evod MT3's to then go V/W V/V with a Vamo and Vivi 2.5 after reading lots and watching youtube videos on rebuilds etc, went with a UDTv-9 & Kick2 with AGI and a Igo-W since then i can say a descent set up on the AGI can't be beaten for taste especially with wire mesh so not subtle taste of silica in the mix, i was scared of the learning curve needed but now can string together a coil in the Igo-W in no time at all since tasting allot of 1 ml samples with organic cotton.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread