Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA
Ok. So I'm feeling like quiet the jack ... today. I purchased a Reo mini from the classifieds a few months ago, and I noticed that the firing pin didnt look like the ones on my grands. Where they are curled on the end that makes contact with the battery, mine had a sharp point. It was evident that it had been cut to be that way, and I didn't know if it would effect the performance of my mod or not. So finally, this past week, I ordered one from Rob along with some orings. I hated making an order that small because of shipping cost, but I really wanted to change it. So I go to change it out today, and found that the spring on my mini is silver. I can't believe I've not noticed this. Especially considering I change my battery like three times a day. My question is, what is the difference between the two springs(besides the obvious color difference)? On my mini I don't sub-ohm. My coil is usually 1ohm. Do I need to make another order, and get the gold spring?

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Ok. So I'm feeling like quiet the jack ... today. I purchased a Reo mini from the classifieds a few months ago, and I noticed that the firing pin didnt look like the ones on my grands. Where they are curled on the end that makes contact with the battery, mine had a sharp point. It was evident that it had been cut to be that way, and I didn't know if it would effect the performance of my mod or not. So finally, this past week, I ordered one from Rob along with some orings. I hated making an order that small because of shipping cost, but I really wanted to change it. So I go to change it out today, and found that the spring on my mini is silver. I can't believe I've not noticed this. Especially considering I change my battery like three times a day. My question is, what is the difference between the two springs(besides the obvious color difference)? On my mini I don't sub-ohm. My coil is usually 1ohm. Do I need to make another order, and get the gold spring?

Those are the contacts and spring that were used until last year. They will still work. Yes, the older contacts were a point on the end. I have many REO's with the old contacts and springs. I run 1.01 to 1.04 coils. No problem! You can upgrade for better voltage drop. But save those old ones. They might come in handy.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Thanks. If there's no need to change it, I'll leave it as is until I have to order something else from Rob and just throw it in on the order then

If you don't already have one, Robert sells a "parts" kit that contains the new contact, new spring, and anything else you might need in case of a disaster, like a short.

Good to have, even if you don't change out the parts until (if ever) needed. You know how it goes, if you have the parts, you'll never need them, if you don't.....

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Thanks. If there's no need to change it, I'll leave it as is until I have to order something else from Rob and just throw it in on the order then
I re-built one of my 14500 mini's and went with the gold firing pin, but left the silver spring in it. It performs just as well as the other 14500 mini with the gold spring that I have. I think the firing pin is the more important part of the equation as far as current flow is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread