Help me make my decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchest02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Muskegon, MI
OK, so I bought a Grand, melted more hot springs than I'd like to talk about, and sold it within a month. I somehow cannot resist the urge to buy another, and this time a "high-end" rba to go with it. Here is my dilema

1. I love the battery life of 18650s, and have PLENTY
2. I have six 18490's laying around that are pretty much brand new (Got them with my Provaris, used them for a week)
3. I LOVE the Gold/Silver color scheme on the mini, but don't want to buy new batteries when I have an over abundance of 18650s and 18490s. I don't see that color scheme on the Grands or Mini 2.1s

(Here's the Gold/Silver)
http://www.reosmods.com/index.php?p...&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

So, here is the question do I

A. Buy a Grand for battery life
B. Buy a Mini 2.1 so I can use my 18490s
C. Wait for a Gold/Silver Mini to come available, and buy some 14500s

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
so, how do you go about melting springs? Cheap Batteries?

I'm curious, cause as an SLR vaper, I'd like to avoid that. Been doing .8Ω-ish with my MNKEs and no worries.

ADDIT: btw, just get gold + anything and re-do/machine/sand your door.
melting buttons well if you do bad things to your mod you melt buttons .

Always wrench your atty on your mod = melted button.

Use cheap rbas without testing them before use = button roasted.

Use adapters without knowing how to set one up properly = melted button.

My all time favorite... change your atomizer 250 times in one day with adapters of course = melted button.

Checking your batteries with a voltage meter while they're still in the mod, crossing the positive and negative. I have seen this one many times = roasted spring.

Here is a good one... putting a stack of magnets on top of your battery, the tower of magnets falls inside the delrin insert. Yep, you guessed it = roasted button.

Drop your mod, snap your atty in half, push it back together and then hit the fire button = roasted button.

Another favorite of mine... bad atomizer roasts your button. Mod comes back from a trip to the reo spa all repaired. Put the same bad atty back on the mod = roasted button.

This may just top them all.... pull that same bad atty off the smoked mod and put it on your other working mod = roasted button.

The list goes on and on....
I should write a jingle 50 ways to smoke your button ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I had the same dilema, couldn't decide between a Mini 2.1 & a Grand. I ended up ordering a Grand for battrey life. The very next day I ordered a Mini 2.1 before the Grand even shipped. So for me it was easy, I got both with absolutely no regrets, no desire to get rid of one, & I absolutely love both of them. What's odd is I carry the Mini with me where ever I go. Didn't think it would last long enough to get through the day while out & about but it does for me. My Grand stays home & is what I use at home & working in the garage.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
melting buttons well if you do bad things to your mod you melt buttons .

always wrench your atty on your mod = melted button
use cheap rbas without testing them before use = button roasted
use adapters without knowing how to set one up properly = melted button
My all time favorite change your atomizer 250 times in one day with adapters of course = melted button
checking your batteries with a voltage meter while there still in the mod and crossing the positive and negative . I have seen this one many times = roasted spring
Here is a good one putting a stack of magnets on top of your battery the tower of batteries falls inside the delrin insert yep roasted button .
Drop your mod snap your atty in half push it back together hit the fire button roasted button .
Another favorite bad atomizer roasts your button . Mod comes back from a trip to the reo spa all repaired put the same bad atty back on the mod= roasted button
even better pull that same bad atty off the smoked mod and put it on your other working mod= roasted button
The list goes on and on
I should write a jingle 50 ways to smoke your button ;)

:blink:.........................................

I think this may be sticky worthy. :laugh:

dchest02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Muskegon, MI
How did I melt my springs and button? One word - A7. Well, actually that is one letter and one word, but whatever. Bought panasonics with the button top, so I doubt it was the batteries. Inexperience really. I tried all the tricks, and just kept melting springs and a couple of buttons. However, being more experienced now I have seen the error of my ways, and REALLY want my Reo back. I may contact Rob (I see you) when I save enough money for whichever Reo I choose, and ask very nicely if he can make me one in my color scheme. My first choice of course would be a Grand as I have 18650s, 18490s, and a kick laying around, but the Mini 2.1 is a close second. I'm kind of gun shy at this point, I'm sure I will have a lot of people to support my decision, and help if I fail as badly as the first time. This time my order will definitely include a bunch of extra hot springs, a rebuild kit (or two), and a RM2.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
How did I melt my springs and button? One word - A7.

I can definitely understand that. The A7 was my very first RBA & it's definitely not a ready to use RBA & needs tweaking. I hated how loose the center contact was when unscewed, very sloppy threads, but not surprised for what it cost. Very first thing I did was make a spacer for the center contact so it screwed on tight with the proper length. I learned a lot from it & it ended up working great but the thing is just way too long. Holds a lot of juice though!

Many inexpensive RBAs aren't ready to use as is out the box. Always check the center contact for issues, length especially. Don't just thread it on till it stops as it may easily damage your Reo if you don't check the length first. If you have a good reliable atty on hand you can use it to compare the length of whatever RBA you want to use. If you don't have a multimeter already, it's wise to pick up at least a cheap one so you can check for shorts before firing the Reo. Or just simply get a RM2. It's built by Rob himself so you know it will work right out the box.

As you can see plenty of friendly people here willing to help should you do happen to have another issue. BTW I picked up spare springs with all this talk about melted springs but I doubt I will ever need them. If you always check first, you shouldn't need them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread