Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Despite my best efforts and assistance, some one close to me has given up e-cigs and gone back to smoking. I have hope that she will try again, but I also know and must accept that the electronic cigarette is/will not be the solution for every smoker. Perhaps another method will work better for her.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Geez Arnie - when I read that thread title I thought it was you. Don't scare us like that!

It's unfortunate that this doesn't work for everyone. There doesn't appear to be a universal reason why either. For every 70 year old that can't get the hang of it - just because they are... old - you can find dozens of 70 year olds that embrace the things and start rebuilding coils even. Sure, it's not as easy as smoking. But if you want to find a reason why vaping can't/won't/don't work for you, you will find a reason. Sigh...

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
if your friend wanted to quit but just couldn't get over the hump, suggest 24mg WTA from wholecig.com. this assumes it wasn't a hardware problem or something unrelated to the juice not satisfying his cravings. I know I am a preacher on the subject but I honestly believe WTA can be the little push to break the cigarette stranglehold- it's not a miracle, it's not for everyone, and it may not make any difference, but it just may be the final piece some people are hunting. suggest it to your friend(or better yet, get her a small bottle so there is no excuse). it can't hurt and just might help......that's my story and i'm sticking to it.......

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
That's too bad, Arnie. It must be frustrating for you, would be for me, when we know how much better ecigs are. Do you know why she gave up vaping? Hang in there, and be ready to encourage her if she decides to try again. Good luck!

She had been struggling and continued to smoke while vaping, she had cut down at one point, but then gave up totally. Stress seems to have played a role.

Geez Arnie - when I read that thread title I thought it was you. Don't scare us like that!

Hah. No, not me. I would rather die than go back. Didn't mean to scare anyone.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
if your friend wanted to quit but just couldn't get over the hump, suggest 24mg WTA from wholecig.com. this assumes it wasn't a hardware problem or something unrelated to the juice not satisfying his cravings. I know I am a preacher on the subject but I honestly believe WTA can be the little push to break the cigarette stranglehold- it's not a miracle, it's not for everyone, and it may not make any difference, but it just may be the final piece some people are hunting. suggest it to your friend(or better yet, get her a small bottle so there is no excuse). it can't hurt and just might help......that's my story and i'm sticking to it.......

What is WTA?

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
All is not lost. Don't diss her for it. Just keep vaping deliciously smelling ejuices around her and tell her the decision to smoke vs vape is not permanent and that you're her friend no matter what. Play it cool, don't show too much disappointment nor elation if she starts vaping again. Forever smoking is a looong time. She may turn around yet but don't push her as it sounds like she has enough stress already.

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
Stress is why I smoked a pack a day for awhile. It's really unhealthy, I was practically coughing up hairballs before I turned around good. I always suggest NET's, seems not too many people try them - they range from very sweet to Malboro. And exhaling through the nose makes a huge difference on things.

Main thing though, is that no one should pressure themselves to quit or cut back too much. I probably won't quit smoking, but I really want something that allows me to take small puffs every few minutes and won't stink up the house - it's why I love vaping. Anyone should just think of it as a new way of smoking - no one gotta smoke just one thing!

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Thanks for the encouragement. I still have hope, and other methods can be successful as well. Whatever helps a person stop smoking and saves lives is a good method. I don't care how outlandish it might be or sound.

Hell, I tell you truly, and I am not a Satan worshipper, but If I thought the worship of Satan helped people quit smoking, God forgive me, but, I'd don a crimson robe and draw a pentagram without hesitation. Or whatever it is those folks do. :)

Last edited:

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
You have to WANT to quit. It's a pain in the beginning to find the e-cig apparatus that works for you and it takes persistence and patience. So, if the person isn't determined to make it work, it's easy to throw in the towel and go back to cigarettes.

They'll be back when they're ready.

That's just what I was going to say.

We, as ex-smokers, know there's no magic bullet. Thankfully this magical thing called an ecig has kept most of us off the analogs, but we make the effort. Almost 6 months into vaping and I still want to smoke. Well, that's wrong - I don't want to smoke, I get the urge to smoke. But, unlike any other product on the market, the ecig takes care of that urge and all is well. But, I can certainly understand how it won't work for everyone. The person has to really want to quit, and believe they want to quit, not just say it.

VikingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2013
Minnesota
Heck, I wasn't even planning on quitting, yet did.

The hubby, who wants to quit, still can't. He cut down from 2 packs a day to 1 with vaping, but that is it.

My kid wanting to stop dipping, likes vaping, but she just can't make the transition.

Different strokes and all. I'm ecstatic that both my mom and I made the switch (neither of which I EVER thought would happen) but I am confused as to the stumbling block that stands in the way of both the husband and the kid. Strange...

bhswmc01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Boise, Idaho, United States
I have a friend who's struggling as well - I gave her a bottle of juice, 2 tanks and batteries to get her started. She did great at first (went from a pack to 3-4 per day), but then went back to smoking more and vaping less. She claims that she's tired of the one flavor I gave her, but when I offer to go to a B&M with her to find another flavor, she won't go. It's frustrating, but until she's ready to take the leap, there's really nothing I can do. I just keep bragging about how much better I feel, etc...and hope that it sinks in someday.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
It is odd, how some people quit within days of using an e-cig, but for others it is a much longer journey. There must be some psychological or medical explanation for it. Yes, you really gotta be 100% commited.

Out of curiosity, what juice and what topper were they using?

I has been my experience that this is many times what makes or breaks a clean getaway from cigs.

They need tobacco type flavors (what they are use to as close as possible) and a good non leaky, good drawing topper "IE" protank/good carto/supply of clearo's etc... ( an lr dripping atomizer in 306 or 510 comes to mind as well)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. Some brilliant person decided giving up all the additional chemicals in cigarettes was just too boring so more are put back in.

Now that I made a few people mad with a simple joke...... someone else can explain why

As some of you know, there are over 4000 chemicals in analogs...Nic is only one of them. People smoke for a variety of reasons, some are self-medicating and don't even realize it until they are away from them. Big tobacco uses the same techniques as drug dealers in that they found a way to enhance what gives our pleasure centers in the brain a euphoric feeling. Other chemicals calm our nerves(at least it feels like it when actually the opposite is true physcially) and many become addicted to the whole tobacco alkoloids. There is no simple answer to what is WTA but I can assure you that the research(from our members own experiences and some are chemists and phd's)that went into this took a very long time. WTA's help some of the members that just can't stop craving those damn cancer sticks. There are blogs on ecf for this as well as threads. Do a search and read. This was not a task taken lightly.
I am fortunate in that I took to vaping instantly and just vaped my way through the rough spots. But again, I wanted to stop, had to stop. I was out of options, since no other product on the market even made a dent in harm reduction.
Arnie, I too had a friend that could not stop the cravings. He was doing great until there was a death in his family. Went right back to analogs and doesn't appear to want to even give vaping a try again. He said the only thing that would stop the cravings is analogs and won't discuss any further. It is sad, but all you can do is be a friend and be there when needed.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread