Status
Not open for further replies.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
It's good she has someone such as yourself in her life.
When she is fully committed to quitting, yours will be the first number she calls.
In the meantime just know your efforts are not failures.
Some people cant quit as fast as others and some still feel like they're missing something only a cigarette can provide.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Whole tobacco Alkaloids. Some brilliant person decided giving up all the additional chemicals in cigarettes was just too boring so more are put back in.

Now that I made a few people mad with a simple joke...... someone else can explain why

I guess I resemble that remark! The issue wasn't that plain nicotine was too boring, but for some, plain nicotine just isn't enough to get over the analog hump. Is it surprising that nicotine patches have a success rate of less than 10%? You can do better than that if I think of a number between 1 and 10 and let you try to guess it. it was four, I was thinking of the number 4!

You can find gory details on WTA in my blog if you're interested.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
U tried don't beat yourself up. Helping others helps ourselves.
Bottom line we on a daily basis make a concious choice to do what we
do. If she decides to make that switch again you will be there for her.
I have a co worker that I care for I gave her a batt and kanger evod.
She makes the excuse she wants a green one. So I will get her one. I
hear her coughing clearing her throat and she is getting ready to retire.
I'm working on her, it can be frustrating but all we can do is show people
the way. The choice is always up to them. When it's time it's time

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Out of curiosity, what juice and what topper were they using?

She had Evods/mini eGos and T4s/808ds. She used mostly menthol, as she was a menthol smoker. The Dekang Nport/portal blend, which is actually quite good.

This is why I believe support groups are/can be important in helping people quit smoking. The company and encouragement of others who are going through the same thing can be helpful. No one should feel like they are alone.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
It could be a matter of not having enough punch. There's always the option for 34mg nic liquid. That, or extra drops of 100mg base liquid onto whatever flavor they're using.

If it isn't the nicotine, some vendors offer more TH, via light doses of capsaicin (the source of "heat" in hot peppers, if you didn't know). Other than that, maybe find a more suitable flavor.

Or If it's an issue of taste, dare I suggest it, have you friend star smoking a pipe (maybe one a day, not constantly as a replacement for analog cigarettes) with some of the more flavorfully cured tobaccos, such as a Vanilla Cavendish. After getting a taste for flavored pipe tobacco, switch to an e-cig with an RY4 (very pipe-like) instead of the daily pipe. That way they could get accustomed to rich, vibrant flavors as a part of their routine.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
It is odd, how some people quit within days of using an e-cig, but for others it is a much longer journey. There must be some psychological or medical explanation for it. Yes, you really gotta be 100% commited.

I think a lot of it is having the right juice. I think there are a lot of different kinds of hardware that will work, but in order to move from smoking to vaping, you have to find juice that's right for you. Part of that is the flavor/taste, of course, but a lot of it is the nicotine level.

When I started vaping, I was using 24mg nic, and I had to move to 30mg to get off the cigs. Once I was off the cigs, moving down in nic level a bit at a time was pretty easy, and now I'm vaping 0 nic. I'm pretty convinced that if I had tried to stick at 24, I would still be smoking.

I also think that a lot of people who say "I want to quit smoking" don't really want to quit. And if you don't want to quit, you won't.

Nightshard

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Israel
From watching people around me, both combining vaping and smoking ans quiting vaping "cold turkey" usualy leads to getting back to smoking.

I think the correct way to start with high nicotine then lower the amount.

Personaly i'm at 8mg and have no intention to lower it.
I might stop vaping eventualy (even though i like it too much), but even if i decide to start again, i will start vaping never smoking, never again!

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
It's weird hearing how other people have such a hard time transitioning, because for me it was instant and effortless. As soon as I got my first ego set, I was done with cigs, no overlap whatsoever. Not even that first day. Granted I started on 24mg, still vape 18mg, and don't really plan to reduce any time soon, and there are a couple flavors I keep around for the few times I DO miss a smoke, but even those don't really taste much like a cigarette. I wasn't a light smoker, either, 1-2 packs a day, at least, for 25 years. I guess I just got lucky. Maybe the difference was that I had every expectation that it WOULD work. That whole positive mindset thing. At any rate, I hope your friend comes around!

Beckyjc

Sep 15, 2013
Uk
Same here ^ as soon I started vaping I quit the cigs. I actually tried one while on holiday last month it tasted horrible I couldn't finish it. Though I still like the smell. The transition was effortless for myself, but I know a few people that struggled, and went back to cigs. It baffles me how they could tbh.

Still trying to convince my boyfriend, I gave him an evod loaded with this gross ferero rocher flavour he said he liked. Jugt had to clean it out cause It was al gummed up he used it so little. I guess you have to want it..

Last edited:

TrickyRicky71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Clinton Twp, MI
I believe nicotine has a muting effect on flavor. The zero nic juices I have tried seemed to be much more flavorful. Can anyone confirm this?

I can't really confirm that but when I'm forced to get a higher nic level than what I usually get, I'm around 6mg, I can definitely taste the difference, it's much stronger and favors are diluted.

my wife also went back to smoking after trying vaping for a short time, she told me that she couldn't get over the taste, as vaping has a diff feel and taste. what she doesn't know and I tried many times to explain, is that after awhile of vaping one will pick up a nasty heater and take a drag and just start coughing uncontrollably, then same person will pick up their ecig take a drag and love it, and from that point realizes just how nasty smokes are and will love the flavor of vaping, and hate the taste of analogs. to this day I still offer my wife a drag on my vamo

Last edited:

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
Main thing though, is that no one should pressure themselves to quit or cut back too much. I probably won't quit smoking, but I really want something that allows me to take small puffs every few minutes and won't stink up the house - it's why I love vaping. Anyone should just think of it as a new way of smoking - no one gotta smoke just one thing!

MJTP: I quoted you, and bolded/red the sentence that describes what worked for ME. I do see posts here from people all disappointed in themselves that they "haven't quit yet" or "went back to smoking" like they are a *failure*. They are NOT failures, and if a person can get this mindset not to pressure themselves, but to think of it as a "new hobby" they are trying, they will enjoy it lots more. That's always a good thing: to enjoy the things we choose. Thanks for saying this.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
It's weird hearing how other people have such a hard time transitioning, because for me it was instant and effortless. As soon as I got my first ego set, I was done with cigs, no overlap whatsoever. Not even that first day. Granted I started on 24mg, still vape 18mg, and don't really plan to reduce any time soon, and there are a couple flavors I keep around for the few times I DO miss a smoke, but even those don't really taste much like a cigarette. I wasn't a light smoker, either, 1-2 packs a day, at least, for 25 years. I guess I just got lucky. Maybe the difference was that I had every expectation that it WOULD work. That whole positive mindset thing. At any rate, I hope your friend comes around!

I think the nic level is very important. If you have the right nic level, I think it's fairly easy, and if you don't have the right nic level, it's very difficult. It sounds like the 24 you started with was the right level for you. I was a 3 PPD smoker, and they had me start at 24. I cut way down, but was still smoking. Only after I moved to 30 did I quit - and once I had the 30, it was very easy to quit.

I started vaping Friday, 07/15/2011. I quit smoking 10/06/2011. So it took me 2 and a half months to completely switch. The first month, I wasn't really working at it, but the last month and a half or so, I was really trying. If I had started with higher nic juice, it would all have gone much faster and easier.

MJTP: I quoted you, and bolded/red the sentence that describes what worked for ME. I do see posts here from people all disappointed in themselves that they "haven't quit yet" or "went back to smoking" like they are a *failure*. They are NOT failures, and if a person can get this mindset not to pressure themselves, but to think of it as a "new hobby" they are trying, they will enjoy it lots more. That's always a good thing: to enjoy the things we choose. Thanks for saying this.

When I started vaping, I was told "It's OK to do both. Don't consider it a failure to light a cig, consider it a success when you don't. It's OK to do both, just stick with it. If you keep vaping, then as time goes on, you will just naturally quit smoking". I didn't really believe any of that at the time, but I sure do now.

There was a sort of "light bulb OMG!" moment for me once when I had been doing both for awhile. I lit a cig by accident (just a habit thing without thinking) and as soon as I took a drag I thought "Darn, I didn't need that, I should have just vaped". That was a turning point for me, and when I look back on when I really believed that vaping was going to get me to quit smoking, that's where I really started to believe. After that, I started putting my cigarettes across the room so I couldn't light them out of habit, and keeping my PV on my desk or in my pocket or whatever was most convenient.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I had set my daughter up with a few different set-ups. She liked them. But, they never seemed to really work. She finally confessed to me recently that she starts to feel a panic attack coming on at just the thought of switching over.

I don't get severe panic attacks like she does. But, I do get milder ones. So, I do understand.

That's why I held onto my half carton of cigarettes for a couple of months when I first started vaping. And, even to this day (2 1/2 years later), I still won't think of it as if I CAN'T have a cigarette if I want one. I just choose not to - just to be safe. I refuse to try a cigarette just to see what I'm missing. Why risk it?

Don't get me wrong. I made the switch almost instantly. Just a couple of days to work the bugs out. That was it, no more smoking.

But, there are two differences between me and my daughter. One, her panic attacks are severe enough to send her to the emergency room. And, two, she's a fairly light smoker so her smoking doesn't interfere with her life anywhere nearly as much as it did for me.

So, her need to switch is less urgent, and the process is a lot more scary for her.

If she gets the job that she's hoping for, she will no longer be able to smoke during the day (unless she's willing to spend at least half her lunch hour just getting off and back on property just to smoke during her lunch hour). Hopefully, that will give her the chance to start developing new habits.

I think smoking/vaping is mostly about managing anxiety. It's just a difference of the type and extent of anxiety you have.

Wow, my daughter walked into the room while I was typing this and mentioned that she would like to try again with higher nic (because of the possible new job). I'm hopeful!

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Originally Posted by Arnie H

This is why I believe support groups are/can be important in helping people quit smoking. The company and encouragement of others who are going through the same thing can be helpful. No one should feel like they are alone.

ECF is my support group....

Me too, Soba! I agree, Arnie, support and encouragement (and information!) from others can make a big difference. Since I don't have local support, ECF is where I come for all of the above. You take your support where you can get it, I guess.

Kudos to all of you who are helping other vapers locally! :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread