Gonna try DIY need alittle help first

Status
Not open for further replies.

themysterious1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2011
Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
Ok so Im gonna try DIY gonna order some stuff next week. I wanted to post a thread making sure Im getting everything I need. So here it goes if I am missing anything please LMK. I am a menthol vapor and would like to know a good place to get the crystal or a good menthol Im going to start with that and than try other mixes just want to get one good menthol first than will experiment with other recipes after. I vape 24mg and thought the 48 mg would be the easiest to break down if Im wrong LMK.Thanks a ton guys.

Going to order from RTS these things:

120 ml of 48 mg Flavorless Nicotine Liquid

120 ml of Vegetable Glycerin USP Grade Kosher Certified

Going to get this from the tractor supply store down the street:

Ideal Animal Health Propylene Glyco, 1 gal. - 2209731 | Tractor Supply Company

I will also get syringes and needles from the tractor supply store. Going to get some bottles also for RTD what sizes would you suggest?

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I think that if you want to mix 24 mg juice, it would be best to get the 60 mg per ml nicotine to work with. That would be easiest to use and get to your desired PG/VG/flavoring level.

RTS also has a huge selection of TFA flavoring along with some good Chinese tobacco flavorings.
They also have decent pricing on glass and plastic bottles as well as measuring equipment if you need it. There is a 20% off sale going through the 25th but, if this is your first order with them, you get 20% off your entire order using code Firstorder. You get 6% rewards with every order so the sales are actually good for 26% off the prices that you see on their site. Good luck to you.

http://www.rtsvapes.com/Concentrated_Food_Flavorings_s/88.htm

http://www.rtsvapes.com/E_Juice_Glass_Plastic_Bottles_s/106.htm

http://www.rtsvapes.com/Borosilicate_Laboratory_Glassware_s/87.htm

http://www.rtsvapes.com/Filling_Syringes_Needles_s/86.htm

Oops! I just noticed that the first time customer code is only good for PG/VG and nic. The sale going through the 25th is good for nic, flavors, and glassware with code Julyend. That may be a better deal for you.

Last edited:

favor1

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
traveling about
If you want more safety supplies you can try American Science & Surplus : Items Just Off the Truck although it would be a little overkill with the quantities you're purchasing. They tend to have cheaper equipment than most retailers but they don't have a good shipping policy. I personally prefer the plastic graduated cylinders over the glass because the liquid doesn't form a meniscus and make it hard to determine how many ml there are, which is important for me as I like to add very small amounts of different flavors. I would ideally prefer a 5ml graduated cylinder but I can't find a good deal on any plastic ones. The ones sold here are glass 5ml graduated cylinders but the prices are frankly exorbitant: PYREX* Brand Single Metric Scale Graduated Cylinders - VWR LabShop

themysterious1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2011
Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
So would these be ok to get for Menthol? I will get other flavors soon just want to do a Menthol to start. The Koolada just gives it a cool feeling correct? I dont want the Menthol to taste like Wintergreen gum or Spearmint gum I dont like those to much. Im also thinking of doing a Strawberry and Kiwi mix with a touch of Menthol but I think Im getting ahead of myself.LOL I just love the Strawberry Kiwi drinks. Has anybody liked the Strawberry or Kiwi from FA or is there a better place to get flavors from that taste better? Just really want to try and do one order from RTS for what I need to get started than I will get flavors and such elsewhere.

http://www.rtsvapes.com/Koolada_p/j109.htm

10 ml Menthol Liquid (PG)

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Thanks and I will get the 60 mg instead of the 48. Any good menthol crystals to try gonna place my order tomm. or Tuesday at the latest.

You can get the TPA menthol from RTS at the link that I posted above in post # 2 when you buy your nicotine. Listed under mints and menthols. All but the concentrated Chinese are TPA flavors.

The flavors, nic and the glass labware are all at 20% off through Wednesday. Plus you get 6% rewards.

Concentrated Food Flavorings

Last edited:

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
So would these be ok to get for Menthol? I will get other flavors soon just want to do a Menthol to start. The Koolada just gives it a cool feeling correct? I dont want the Menthol to taste like Wintergreen gum or Spearmint gum I dont like those to much. Im also thinking of doing a Strawberry and Kiwi mix with a touch of Menthol but I think Im getting ahead of myself.LOL I just love the Strawberry Kiwi drinks. Has anybody liked the Strawberry or Kiwi from FA or is there a better place to get flavors from that taste better? Just really want to try and do one order from RTS for what I need to get started than I will get flavors and such elsewhere.

10 ml Koolada

10 ml Menthol Liquid (PG)

LOL, that is what I posted in post #2 :) RTS may take a little extra time to ship during these good sales but is well worth the wait IMO. I have never waited more than a few days even during sales though.

Just in case you did not see this in post #2 http://www.rtsvapes.com/Borosilicate_Laboratory_Glassware_s/87.htm

I have every size and really like them.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
While we're here, is there any calculators out there, that you put in the "drops" you used and it will tell you the correct percentages?? I dont know the percentage of flavors i used, but i do know the amount of drops put in!

Jim
I'll start off and say I've not done DIY. My opinion is far from an expert or first hand experience, but I think I can answer your question.

There's a calculator here (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-calculator-added-quantity-calculations.html) that should help, though I can't check it from this computer. The easiest way to get % without a calculator is:

Add the total volume/drops, divide smaller number (ingredient) by bigger number (total drops) times 100 (%).

So, for example, if you have a mix that is 3 drops flavour, 7 drops PG, and 4 VG you add up the total drops (14), and just divide one of the ingredients by the total and multiply by 100. BAM! That crap recipe I put up is 21.5% flavour, 50% PG, 28.5% VG. I averaged the numbers to nice .5% rounds, but the math is "in your head easy" and ends up being pretty close to exact numbers.

The main issue I see with this is different bottles and flavours have different viscosity, which can change how many drops/ml you're using. What you really need to know is how many drops/ml for your ingredients/bottles (I've seen numbers range from 20-40 drops depending on ingredients). You should look into a set of syringes/marked beakers (or the equiv.) for consistent values. On smaller batches it may not be a big difference, but on a 30+ml those small differences can make significant changes to flavour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread