Status
Not open for further replies.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Hi guys,
Just ordered a mod today, and am thinking about swapping out the switch when it gets here. The mod is a VV 2-14500 box mod. What rating switch should I be looking for (3A? 4A?)? Looking for a big round metal button, possibly with some click.

Not sure yet about how much depth I have to work with. Perhaps I'll have to wait and measure.

Thanks

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
3 amp 12volt rating is more then enough for vaping. You really have to factor in the voltage along with the amp rating. Switches tend to have different voltage ratings. For example a 3 amp 12 volt rated switch can handle 36 watts as where a 3 amp 24 volt rated switch can handle 72 watts. So if you ran the 3 amp 24 volt rated switch @ 12 volts it can actually handle 6 amps. 12 volts 6 amps = 72 watts.

Not sure if this is going to be too big but here is a metal switch rated @ 2 amps 48 volts which = a 96 watt switch. Most folks vape between 7 to 10 watts depending on atomizer and voltage so it is way more then enough.
PV2 anti-vandal switches | water resistant vandal resistant | long life switch | www.e-switch.com

73.jpg

Last edited:

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Really appreciate you help and patience with a noob. Switch looks awesome.

I hadn't realized that I should be looking at power rating instead of just current rating. I wondered because in poking around I had seen a couple people using 2A switches, which had me wondering.

Thanks again. I supose its time to get off the bench, dust off my soldering iron, and get in the game.

Cursed

Jan 12, 2012
France
Hi there. (sorry for my english, it's not my native language, I hope I'll be clear)

I'm looking for switches with very low profile for month... Like Hificat101, I've ever heard that we must take current rating.

I was about to buy some switches (36V/2A) but amp was too low. The vendor told me that it is the same as 24V/4A and 12V/6A. But from some other forums, people says we can't change switch rating by different ohm's law imputs. If it says 36V 2A for example, even if we use them at 5V, the limit will ever be 2A. For example, 5V with 1.5 ohm atty, I reach 3.3A.

Another thing to keep in mind is the difference between AC and DC. Most of switch ratings are AC, and DC rating is not the same.

Java_Az, you've just erased all what I though knowing... I'm completely lost... ^^'
Because with your theory, there can be a lot of flexibility.

There is no assertion in my post (my lack of vocabulary impede myself to explain clearly what I wanna say ><)

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Amps are not universal 2 amps @ 36 volts has alot more power/ heat / wattage then 2 amps @ 5 volts. You wont see a amp rating without a voltage rating along with it. If you ask me switches should be rated in wattage then it would universal across different voltages. Really thats all i do it convert the the amp and voltage rating to watts. Then i take the watts and my true working voltage and i get a true amp rating for the voltage i am going to use. Here is a a link to a very nice Ohms Law Calculator that might help you under stand this a bit better. http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

Cursed

Jan 12, 2012
France
Thanks for your advice.

So, it seems there are 2 ways of thinking :)
Your theory explain why some shops are selling 2A switchs for modding. But I asked about what we discussed, and people maintain that theorically, every switch will work, no matter of V or A, but the question will be: until when? They say if I don't follow amp rating, my switch will die shortly, even if my total watts use is under the switch total watts.
It's without any repercussions if I press the switch twice a day for example, but this is more than 100-200 times per day.
They say, if every datasheet mention V and A rating instead of W rating, this is for a good reason. I can't use a 36V2A switch in a car with 12V5A for example, even if I reach 72W and 60W

Sorry for being so annoying with that, I need to understand this disagreement :)

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Not really sure how else i can explain it to you. a 36 volt 2 amp switch is the same as a 12 volt 6 amp switch. So it would work fine in a 12 volt 5 amp application.

Lets try this. Say you take a fancy power supply unit used for electronic testing and set it to constant current mode. Take a 2.5 ohm atomizer and hook it up with 5 volts 2 amps you will get a nice vape off it. Now take the PSU and set it to 1 volt 2 amps and try to vape off it you wont get anything really. It will barely heat up the coil. No vapor at all. There is alot more heat in 5 volts 2 amps then 1 volt 2 amp. Now turn the PSU up to 10 volts 2 amps and try to vape it will be very very hot and nasty burnt tasting vaper. The atomizer will also burn out very quickly. For Contact rating of switches you are fooling yourself if your just taking in account the amps. You HAVE to LOOK at BOTH the AMPS AND VOLTS.

Cursed

Jan 12, 2012
France
I understand your point of view, and I really want to agree with it. Really! Because I can choose more switches that I thought.

It's just that other people tells me exactly the opposite :)
In their view, metal alloy used to make electric contact inside a switch defines amp rating, whatever volt input.
They say with 36V2A to keep this example, I can use 2 ohm atty with 4V but not 1.5 ohm with 4V because I go beyond amp rating. To sum up, they disagree with 36V2A = 12V6A because of material restraint.

This way of thinking is fundamentally different from your own vision, and this is why I need to understand, not for being an argumentative person :)

As a matter of fact, I tend to agree with you, but they just scared me :D
My knowledge of electronics is too shaky to act without asking first. I'll give a try.

Thanks for your patience ;)

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I understand your point of view, and I really want to agree with it. Really! Because I can choose more switches that I thought.

It's just that other people tells me exactly the opposite :)
In their view, metal alloy used to make electric contact inside a switch defines amp rating, whatever volt input.
They say with 36V2A to keep this example, I can use 2 ohm atty with 4V but not 1.5 ohm with 4V because I go beyond amp rating. To sum up, they disagree with 36V2A = 12V6A because of material restraint.

This way of thinking is fundamentally different from your own vision, and this is why I need to understand, not for being an argumentative person :)

As a matter of fact, I tend to agree with you, but they just scared me :D
My knowledge of electronics is too shaky to act without asking first. I'll give a try.

Thanks for your patience ;)
They are using a flawed logic. IF they are say that a 36volt 2 amps switch doesnt gain amps when using it at a lower voltage then if you switched it around they are saying you could use it @ 72 volts 2 amps or hell just slap 1000 volts 2 amps to that switch and watch it go up in smoke. Heat is what destroys contacts not amps by them selfs. 1 volt 2 amps is not very hot at all. 1000 volts 2 amps is 1000 times hotter then 1 volt 2 amps. Anyways i cant really explain it any better. Go talk to a electronics teacher and he will set you straight.

Cursed

Jan 12, 2012
France
Hi there.
I don't want to create conflict and I just quote what I heard by asking directly to a global push buttons manufacturer (Here).

A technician told me that datasheets with V and A is actually V or A. :/
For example we have 400V/5A. At 400V, the pushbutton will not bear 5A, but 1 or 2A
It will work, but with much less lifetime than mentionned (one year or less from what he said).
Tough.

Worse than policy discussion, each party have a different theory :D

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA

Cursed

Jan 12, 2012
France
Hey :)

Another manufacturer sent me a reply today (I asked both EAO and APEM few days ago)

Here is what they said:

There are different ways to test contact rating, this is why there are differencies between manufacturers.
You can use our IP serie but lifetime will decrease.
Please check electrical specifications: http://www.apem.fr/files/apem/brochures/FRA/Interrupteur-bouton-poussoir-IP-FR.pdf

5A 28Vcc, 70.000 cycles
0,2A 48Vcc, 500.000 cycles
0,5A 48Vca, 500.000 cycles

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Really could say if it would fit or not. Pretty sure these are the same as what goes in the silver bullet. The illuminated model would be the PV6 series PV6 anti-vandal switch | illuminated anti-vandal | water resistant anti-vandal | www.e-switch.com they are both pretty much the same size so if you have the room either would work. just have to add a ground to the switch for the led then a resistor from the output of the switch to the + led input

EDIT: remembered i had done this before. here is how the LED version would be hooked up
Screenshot-untitled_1sch-gschem-1.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread