• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Good Article on Harm reduction National post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyGunBC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver B.c.
the article really has nothing to do with Ecigs in general , but at least puts it out to the Canadian public that there are other options than smoking , if you click the link on tobacco vaporisation it show's of 420 vaporizers , but if this gets some people to see other alternatives other than big pharma shoving more chemicals into our bodies , I feel it is a good piece

Why the heck is C annabis a banned word here ??? wow

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
Why the heck is ****** a banned word here ??? wow

A step in the right direction, yes.

Prevents the all to common question "Hey man like you know it would be awsome to like you know vape ****** so my boss and Mom wouldn't like know, cuse like it won't smell er nothing, like right dude":facepalm:

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Agreed, Rob. His link for "nicotine vapourizers" unfortunately links to an article from September 2007 (
hqsCK.png
) that first mentions one ancient piece-of-crap e-cig called the "Crown7"...and then strangely goes into some sort of weirdo devices intended for illegal drug use. The article contains several photographs of what can only be described as bizarre, bulky, impractical devices that again, have nothing to do with e-cigs. So yeah...Davey's a tad out of touch. He definitely should've googled "electronic cigarette" or something before writing.

But several commenters did mention actual, modern PV's (i.e. e-cigs)...and at least one person gave the link for the forum here.

All in all, since I can't find a way to email the author...we'll have to leave it at that. But we shouldn't worry. No one reads the National Post, haha. It's a dead paper on life support, losing millions each year...soon to cease existing. A quote from 2009: "Investment bankers hired by CanWest received no offers when they tried to sell the National Post earlier this year." CanWest's entire newspaper division, in fact, has filed for bankruptcy protection as of last month. So yeah.

P.S. I will concede that the article touches in a good way (however briefly) re: snus as a safer alternative. Though given the choice between snus & vaping...give me vaping every time. Snus doesn't appeal to me at all, for a whole bunch of reasons...not the least of which includes that (unlike vaping) snus doesn't simulate smoking, and (again, unlike vaping) it contains actual tobacco.

Last edited:

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
Agreed, Rob. His link for "nicotine vapourizers" unfortunately links to an article from September 2007 (
hqsCK.png
) that first mentions one ancient piece-of-crap e-cig called the "Crown7.

Do we have any "Crown7" vendors around? :) I think the National Post might sell better (was a darn good paper when Conrad had it)..

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
It’s a noble goal, to be sure, but the closer we’ve got towards eliminating smoking entirely, the less effective new attempts get. So when the Ontario government announces it’s willing to sink $20 million into paying for prescription drugs to help people quit, it riles for more than just the economic optics.

Anyone still wondering who is calling the shots?

Lately I have been receiving allot of flack wrt e-cigs. You have not had a cigarette in a year, shouldn't you have given that up already?? To one very close friend - Give up Tmmie's and I'll give up vaping! <<Not the same thing>> Really?

It is no longer smoking that is deemed bad by society, it is smokers and their filthy NICOTINE habit. I for one propose a ban on caffeine :)

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
Lately I have been receiving allot of flack wrt e-cigs. You have not had a cigarette in a year, shouldn't you have given that up already?? To one very close friend - Give up Tmmie's and I'll give up vaping! <<Not the same thing>> Really?
It is no longer smoking that is deemed bad by society, it is smokers and their filthy NICOTINE habit. I for one propose a ban on caffeine :)

First - Thanks for the article TommygunBC - it's going right into the inbox of my MP (without the links)

I'm always amazed when people consider smoking a "filthy nicotine habit" - and in the same breath suggest the stinky offender try quitting with "one of those patch thingy's". That's not even a little bit logical. IF nicotine WAS the culprit - switching from smoking it to absorbing it doesn't solve anything.

Don't know about the rest of you - but I'm very disturbed by the main subject of the article - government funding for drugs that (claim) to help people stop smoking. ... for a lot of reasons...

- government doesn't fund any other prescription drugs - even life-saving ones that the elderly require to maintain basic life-value and probably can't afford.
-smoking ceasation drugs are known to have extremely dangerous side effects and will only work on a small portion of the population (and can lead to death).
-smokers haven't requested it (kinda important in a democracy no?)

Imho - it's reasonable for goven't to sponsor a medical care program that's voluntary, in high demand and otherwise unaffordable.... the rest is just political gesturing - unethical at best - hot air at worst.

Last edited:

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada

I don’t let that bother me much.. I was going to smoke cigarettes until they killed me. Only a smoker can understand that. That the non-smokers can’t understand why I vape, is no different to them not understanding why I smoked. I stopped caring a long time ago.

The whole anti-smoking movement has gained so much momentum that it has attracted the tell-other-what-to-do people. They get a high controlling other people, because I believe they have no control over their own life. Ask the average well adjusted non-smoker about outdoor smoking bans, they believe it is nuts. "Its not bothering me, so why should I care?"Who’s imposing foolishness like that, the tell-others-what-to people.. They are definitely going to be a fight for us, as they are drunk with their new found powers.

AlbertaClipper

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Ponoka, Alberta
I don’t let that bother me much.. I was going to smoke cigarettes until they killed me. Only a smoker can understand that. That the non-smokers can’t understand why I vape, is no different to them not understanding why I smoked. I stopped caring a long time ago.

It's true. I was going to smoke until it killed me, too. This, coming from someone who only started smoking in her 30's. And nobody but a smoker can get it. Cigarettes have such antidepressant properties, and the whole friggin' subculture of bonding with other smokers (which has only become stronger with the increased restrictions) is something that never seems to get talked about. Hey, at one job I worked at not so long ago, those of us who really excelled were the ones who hashed stuff out at the 'smoking corner' when we could let our guard down and talk about s*** that really mattered. I KNOW you all know what I mean.

The not caring about what others think is something I have to work on...not letting it bother me. My (heavy smoking) husband is wide open to the idea of vaping, and has the kits, etc that I gave him. He's congratulated me on quitting analogs for good recently...then said, "Now you just have to quit vaping." ARG!!!!!! He just wants to vape part time...that's ok with me. He just knows that the smoking is hurting him, so he wants to reduce it. I welcome whatever steps he takes that way with open arms!

I just am sorry that he doesn't see that he needs to respect vaping without criticism the way he wishes nonsmokers would not criticize him. I'll get "there" in time, but I don't want the freakin' grief on the way there!!

Sorry...rant over. I guess that even some smokers think that all nic is bad.

BlondieLocs

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Calgary, AB Canada
I'm always amazed when people consider smoking a "filthy nicotine habit" - and in the same breath suggest the stinky offender try quitting with "one of those patch thingy's". That's not even a little bit logical. IF nicotine WAS the culprit - switching from smoking it to absorbing it doesn't solve anything.

I think it's funny when people start spouting crap about why I should quit my nicotine "habit". I just start quoting some of the studies that have been done regarding the benefits of nicotine in regards to neurological diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, dopamine production, mental illnesses, etc.

But then, you know me... I'm always one for ....e disturbing and correcting the marvelously misinformed. ;)

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
I think it's funny when people start spouting crap about why I should quit my nicotine "habit". I just start quoting some of the studies that have been done regarding the benefits of nicotine in regards to neurological diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, dopamine production, mental illnesses, etc.

But then, you know me... I'm always one for ....e disturbing and correcting the marvelously misinformed. ;)

...unfortunate.... the "marvelously misinformed" are such a huge group!

A friend of mine - Dr. Pavillianen (Haddasah University Hospital, Pharmacological research), was showing me some info a few years back on studies done with nicotine to treat brain degeneration among Parkinson's patients.

The most interesting part of the study was the conclusion - stating that while nicotine does appear to have a positive effect, it's not a recommended treatment because the dangers of smoking are greater....

...me and my friend burst out laughing... nicotine has been available in other forms than tobacco for quite awhile now.... and I can't imagine the researchers teaching their lab animals to smoke in order to carry out the study...

BlondieLocs

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Calgary, AB Canada
...unfortunate.... the "marvelously misinformed" are such a huge group!

A friend of mine - Dr. Pavillianen (Haddasah University Hospital, Pharmacological research), was showing me some info a few years back on studies done with nicotine to treat brain degeneration among Parkinson's patients.

The most interesting part of the study was the conclusion - stating that while nicotine does appear to have a positive effect, it's not a recommended treatment because the dangers of smoking are greater....

...me and my friend burst out laughing... nicotine has been available in other forms than tobacco for quite awhile now.... and I can't imagine the researchers teaching their lab animals to smoke in order to carry out the study...

That's ridiculous.... considering some of the studies were done using the PATCH. I was reading a thread yesterday about a person diagnosed with Parkinson's whose doctor recommended they did NOT quit smoking.

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
That's ridiculous.... considering some of the studies were done using the PATCH. I was reading a thread yesterday about a person diagnosed with Parkinson's whose doctor recommended they did NOT quit smoking.

haven't heard that one before. the research paper I was reading shows that nicotine decreases the onset of parkinsons - once it's started though I believe that therapies are few and far between. It's one of the conditions that medical marijaina is used for - mainly to relieve symptoms. be nice if nicotine actually treated existing symptoms .... (the conversation I had with my friend - was part of a discussion we were having with another friend who has parkinsons - and is an amazing person holding up under a terrible disease...).

be interesting to see where future studies lead on nic and the human brain. ....hmmm.... maybe us vapers can offer ourselves as human guinea pigs (wonder how well that pays! lol). :(

BlondieLocs

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Calgary, AB Canada
haven't heard that one before. the research paper I was reading shows that nicotine decreases the onset of parkinsons - once it's started though I believe that therapies are few and far between. It's one of the conditions that medical marijaina is used for - mainly to relieve symptoms. be nice if nicotine actually treated existing symptoms .... (the conversation I had with my friend - was part of a discussion we were having with another friend who has parkinsons - and is an amazing person holding up under a terrible disease...).

be interesting to see where future studies lead on nic and the human brain. ....hmmm.... maybe us vapers can offer ourselves as human guinea pigs (wonder how well that pays! lol). :(

The thread I was reading is here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/medical-research/107659-parkinsons-vaping-nicotine.html

Posts of note:

I also have early Parkinson's and had reduced my nicotine to 0 after vaping for three months. I continued vaping 0 nic until I learned about the studies using nicotine to reduce motor symptoms. I put the nic back in my cartos and my symptoms drastically diminished. Vape away!

I am glad to see a topic on this. I began having neurological problems back in 1999 (age 31) and my neurologist said he would NOT recommend I stop smoking. Not that he would suggest anyone start, but still it was proving there were some benefits to using nicotine with some neurological disorders. In 2005 I was finally diagnosed with early onset Parkinsons...
<snip>

I also have a step-uncle with PD, so like to keep an eye on developments in the research.

BlondieLocs

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Calgary, AB Canada

viktor

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Burlington, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread