• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Good on ya' Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Awesome! I really do think SJ is trying to do right around here. I must also admit that I do not envy his job at all but I greatly appreciate his efforts I only wish he'd give a little on the "it's my site and I'll do what I want" attitude. I know it's his site and he can do what he wants. But I also know this site has gotten a little too big for its britches (as my momma used to say, lol) and something is gonna have to give sooner or later.

In reality, he is quite openminded and puts a lot of thought into his replies. His words are few, but meaningful.

The following is just my take on the "it's my site and I'll do what I want" attitude. It is just a viewpoint, and an invitation to share your viewpoint. Here goes:

The reminders of the Site Admins authority and power will diminish as the need for them diminishes. The stance that SJ is taking with this attitude is that this forum cannot be a true democracy - we do not all share the risks or the responsibilities equally as these rest squarely on the shoulders of Smokey Joe. SJ is an enlightened and beneficent despot, but he is still a despot and must remain so as he is the one responsible for the forum legally, financially, and politically. I am not a religious person, but a religious anology might best explain the position he is in. If God were to take a laissez faire attitude and let everything up to the humans, anarchy would prevail and the demons of Hell would be set free (the apocolypse following the rapture). SJ really is the God of this forum. He created it. He maintains it. He guides and controls it. I tend to be quite defiant of anyone trying to impose authority over me, but here, in SJ's home, I let SJ have the final say. I also run to him when I have a question, or an issue that needs resolved, or a complaint about the way I am treated here, or a request of any kind. Technically, we are his guests. To me personally, he has been a very gracious host - much more gracious than the guy that hosted a few of us during the forum downtime.

I want to be clear here that I do not intend to argue, but to explore. There are many hard feelings on the boards. This seems as safe a place as any to openly opine and express. And please, feel free to throw in some lolz - I still mourn our recent loss and would love reminders.

I ought to go back through and insert some smileys, but am exhausted at the moment. I might edit later and do that.

Hugs and Bikkies to all.

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
In reality, he is quite openminded and puts a lot of thought into his replies. His words are few, but meaningful.

The following is just my take on the "it's my site and I'll do what I want" attitude. It is just a viewpoint, and an invitation to share your viewpoint. Here goes:

The reminders of the Site Admins authority and power will diminish as the need for them diminishes. The stance that SJ is taking with this attitude is that this forum cannot be a true democracy - we do not all share the risks or the responsibilities equally as these rest squarely on the shoulders of Smokey Joe. SJ is an enlightened and beneficent despot, but he is still a despot and must remain so as he is the one responsible for the forum legally, financially, and politically. I am not a religious person, but a religious anology might best explain the position he is in. If God were to take a laissez faire attitude and let everything up to the humans, anarchy would prevail and the demons of Hell would be set free (the apocolypse following the rapture). SJ really is the God of this forum. He created it. He maintains it. He guides and controls it. I tend to be quite defiant of anyone trying to impose authority over me, but here, in SJ's home, I let SJ have the final say. I also run to him when I have a question, or an issue that needs resolved, or a complaint about the way I am treated here, or a request of any kind. Technically, we are his guests. To me personally, he has been a very gracious host - much more gracious than the guy that hosted a few of us during the forum downtime.

I want to be clear here that I do not intend to argue, but to explore. There are many hard feelings on the boards. This seems as safe a place as any to openly opine and express. And please, feel free to throw in some lolz - I still mourn our recent loss and would love reminders.

I ought to go back through and insert some smileys, but am exhausted at the moment. I might edit later and do that.

Hugs and Bikkies to all.

What you said boils down almost exactly what I said.... :confused:....I think?

That, or we're talking about two completely different things. :confused: More or less I'm talking about running a business. It's a business if you have sellers and buyers involved and "you" as the owner accepts money. Your analogy involves God running the world. :nun: God :nun:, aka "religion" accepts money from followers - that's a business too. Whether we like it or not, it's all business.

The attitude I mentioned was not a negative connotation at all. :) I think we need mods/admins. :thumbs: In real life, I love having police around. :thumb: They make me feel safe but that doesn't mean I think that the police should also be governors, mayors, councilmen or worst of all, lobbyists :sneaky:. They should be there to the job and that's it. Well, that and be upstanding members of their community. ;)

I said nothing of a democracy. I know a business can't be run on a democracy. I'm no fool.:p Business is based on merit not votes.:w00t:

There's no need to over analyze and over complicate things, Nico. Ahh... Never mind, I can't say that because I do it too :lol::evil::lol:

Let there be Smilies!!! LOL

Last edited:

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Thanks Lyka. I needed that. When I realized you had intentionally smilied it out, I got a full belly laugh. Thanks for covering my smile-less post.

Yeah, I spent something like an hour typing out that drivel:rolleyes:. Lack of sleep has really had an effect on the effectiveness of my thnking:rolleyes:. I will go to bed now and hopefully be speaking clear English again tomorrow.:oops:

ozrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
I had no idea what caused the ban of Kate but now that I've got some things in context from this post I can totally agree. I always thought it was fishy with someone reviewing products they sold, especially as part of the sales side of things.

I like Parker and he does a good job, I just took everything he said with a grain of salt. Kate has always been outspoken about everything, nothing new there and something to be respected. The first thing I said when I posted on the newbie forums was how Kate always tempered the good with the bad and was very objective about vaping. She always made sure people had safety information and warned against certain things even though it may turn people off vaping. She really allowed me to make an informed decision for my husband and I, for that I will always be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread