Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Do you vape mouth to lung or direct to lung? What have you been using? These will help get you the best answer.

Personally for a RTA (tank) I like the Serpent SMM, for a true RDA (dripper) I am liking the Hadaly clone I have. Both are single coil and super easy to build, with great flavor.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello guys I’ve been vaping for a while and I’ve been recently thinking about getting into rebuildables and I was just wonder what would be a good RDA for a first time builder

It all Depends. What are you Looking For?

Massive Clouds
Big-Time Flavor
Single vs. Dual Coils
Clone vs. Authentic
etc vs. etc.

BTW - Welcome to the ECF.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
We need a bit narrower search parameters than that, honestly. There are lots of different options, and do you want a "true" dripper, an RDTA (you can drip, but there's usually a shallow reservoir as well, or an actual rebuildable tank? Is this for general use, or are you considering a squonker too? What mod do you want to put it on, what size diameter would fit your needs? Also, what type of resistance, etc., most folks find single coil rebuildables easier to start with, but it's not an ultimate necessity, and etc.?

Sorry, I know you have a question and all we are doing is asking you questions... But you'll get better answers if you give a bit more information, I promise.

Welcome to ECF :)

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I suggest a "Velocity-style" rebuildable drip atomizer.

The style features two large off-set posts with large holes to easily mount your coil ends into. The build deck is large and spacious, which makes building easier. It has a relatively deep juice reservoir to decrease the frequency of adding liquid. Good for single, double, or quad coil builds. Wide range of air control (MTL vs DTL).

20160613182212_71427.jpg

sSwlPf9.jpg

unnamed__58713.1435111462.1280.1280_1024x1024.jpg

Information Resources for Your First RBA

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Warning--potential heresy to follow:

There's really no such animal as a bad RDA to start learning on. Any RDA that suits your vaping style and doesn't have a complicated deck will serve well. The Velocity-style that @Baditude showed would be a great start.

RDA's are great for new builders because they are very forgiving of rookie wicking jobs. Wick a tank wrong and you can suffer greatly (not really, but it can be frustrating to get it "just right"). Wick an RDA wrong and you'll suffer a dry hit at worst.

You probably want to avoid something that has bottom airflow because over dripping or dripping through the tip invites leaking all over your mod.

Use a regulated device--not an unregulated or mechanical with no chip, no screen, no protection against knuckleheadedness. It will let you measure resistance and make sure you have no short circuits or and incomplete circuit.

Shop around, find something that suits your style and don't worry about getting the best ever. Almost any will rock.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
$8.54 (Free Shipping) Nectar Styled Genesis RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (22mm, SS + POM, Silver) at m.FastTech.com

This is what I learned on and fell in love with it. It suits my style of vaping and what I stocked up on last yr.
OP asked about a beginner's rebuildable DRIP atomizer. Your suggestion is an old technology rebuildable TANK. Not to be rude, but this is a poor suggestion for a beginner. A Genesis-style RTA was my first rebuildable and it caused me to ignore rebuildables for a year or two until the Kayfun came out. I won't even go into all the problems it had.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
OP asked about a beginner's rebuildable DRIP atomizer. Your suggestion is an old technology rebuildable TANK. Not to be rude, but this is a poor suggestion for a beginner. A Genesis-style RTA was my first rebuildable and it caused me to ignore rebuildables for a year or two until the Kayfun came out. I won't even go into all the problems it had.
It’s not a really not a genny and you can drip on it. ( I do when I try new juice)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I suggest a "Velocity-style" rebuildable drip atomizer.

The style features two large off-set posts with large holes to easily mount your coil ends into. The build deck is large and spacious, which makes building easier. It has a relatively deep juice reservoir to decrease the frequency of adding liquid. Good for single, double, or quad coil builds. Wide range of air control (MTL vs DTL).

Information Resources for Your First RBA

I have to respectfully disagree with recommending a dual coil RBA for a first timer. It's twice the work per build/rewicking which means more wasted time and materials while learning not to mention the math is a bit more complex to understand than single coils. While you CAN build that as single coil, to do so and still get the right flavor with that much chamber room would likely require a really big coil and mounted in a way that may not be obvious or as easy to mount. It really is his choice, but it wouldn't be my suggestion. I will add that I do NOT personally have experience with that RDA so maybe it really is super easy to do a single coil and get great flavor and I do personally prefer single coils anyway.

Another single coil RDA I have heard good things about (and have one OTW from FT as we speak) is the Entheon.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It’s not a really not a genny and you can drip on it. ( I do when I try new juice)
It is listed as a Genny on the website, and looks like a Genny to me. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have to respectfully disagree with recommending a dual coil RBA for a first timer. It's twice the work per build/rewicking which means more wasted time and materials while learning not to mention the math is a bit more complex to understand than single coils.
You make a reasonable point. However, I feel that when one makes the decision to get into rebuildables they will have done their homework first and understand the basics before they dive in headfirst.

It's not that hard to make two identical coils. It's not that hard to understand the math if you use an online ohm's law calculator and Steam Engine coil winding calculator.

Last edited:

DS3thevapenoob

Apr 9, 2018
Do you vape mouth to lung or direct to lung? What have you been using? These will help get you the best answer.

Personally for a RTA (tank) I like the Serpent SMM, for a true RDA (dripper) I am liking the Hadaly clone I have. Both are single coil and super easy to build, with great flavor.
Well personally I like direct lung and clouds I’ve been using mostly smok products because the have the perfect balance of flavor and clouds and the airflow on them are almost always perfect

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well personally I like direct lung and clouds ...

Then you are Probably going to want a 2 Post Velocity Style Dual Coil RBA.

I'm pretty much a Die Hard Single Coil Flavor Chaser. So I'll leave the Recommendations to Dual Coil users.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I agree with zoiDman and Baditude. If it's clouds you're chasing, then dual coil (probably with an 810 drip tip) is going to be what you are looking for. They are IMHO a bit more work but they are the cloud chuckers. All of the devices I listed are more for flavor than clouds (though they do produce plenty of clouds for me).

Maybe hit up Youtube and check reviews on some of the items listed in this thread and see what appeals to you the most. Mike Vapes did good reviews on both the Hadaly and the Entheon.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
There's an older model (2015-ish) 22mm three-post, dual coil dripper you may like. Stillare clone from EHPro.

EHPro Stillare Clone RDA

It's not hard to build on and it does a nice, rich cloud. Side adjustable airflow. It has a shallow deck so you have to drip more often, but still fun to vape.

Six bucks plus shipping and Mr. E is good people.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Learning a RDA isn't rocket science unless you make it that way. Start with a single coil build with builds above 1.0 Ω till you get the feel of what you are doing, how to fix and figure out what your build is doing, then the sky is the limit. I would recommend most any 22mm with a deep well and adjustable air flow. You will get a feel of what you are looking for and can skip the reviewer hype.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Warning--potential heresy to follow:

There's really no such animal as a bad RDA to start learning on. Any RDA that suits your vaping style and doesn't have a complicated deck will serve well. The Velocity-style that @Baditude showed would be a great start.

RDA's are great for new builders because they are very forgiving of rookie wicking jobs. Wick a tank wrong and you can suffer greatly (not really, but it can be frustrating to get it "just right"). Wick an RDA wrong and you'll suffer a dry hit at worst.

You probably want to avoid something that has bottom airflow because over dripping or dripping through the tip invites leaking all over your mod.

Use a regulated device--not an unregulated or mechanical with no chip, no screen, no protection against knuckleheadedness. It will let you measure resistance and make sure you have no short circuits or and incomplete circuit.

Shop around, find something that suits your style and don't worry about getting the best ever. Almost any will rock.
I agree that most any will rock. I bought a cheapy mech from a friend at work. The fire button doesnt work so i parked it til i decide to tinker on it, but the little rda that came with it kicks ..... Its kinda small and doesnt take a very big build. But i can fog up the living room fairly quickly with it. Flavor is about what you would expect from any other rda too. Holds it own against my dead rabbit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread