Good tutorial for building basic coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Hey guys, pretty new to the whole mech/dripping deal. I have a SmokTech Magneto with an Igo-w. I bought the complete set up from a local shop and they built it for me. However, it tastes/seems like it's ready for a rebuild. I have some .5mm ribbon wire as well as some 3mm Ekowool in the mail, however before then I was just gonna goto the local shop and buy a foot of 28 or 30ga kanthal with some 3mm eko or silica wick and give it a go on my own.

I have watched a million youtube videos, but I am noticing most are just showing you how to do the wrap, assuming you know which wire goes into the positive post/negative post and what-not. Is there a step by step (for complete rba/rda noobs) floating around here somewhere? Ideally it would either be a still shot or vid tutorial with some quality close ups showing how to wrap the coils where.

I am leaning towards doing a micro coil for my first build as is seems to be pretty easy and still yield quality results.

Any links/info is greatly appreciated!

~Cloudz

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
I have watched a million youtube videos, but I am noticing most are just showing you how to do the wrap, assuming you know which wire goes into the positive post/negative post and what-not.
~Cloudz

the coil has no polarity, wires can go to either post.
Just keep the coil itself from touching the surrounding metal in the atty and align the airhole to the coil.

no brain surgery involved...

best of luck!

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
the coil has no polarity, wires can go to either post.
Just keep the coil itself from touching the surrounding metal in the atty and align the airhole to the coil.

no brain surgery involved...

best of luck!

ah-ha! That does make things a lot easier. Awesome.

ANother quick question. I read a lot about 28-30g kanthal for the micro's, does anyone have any experience with .5mm ribbon? Or better yet, what's the equivalent in "gauge" for .5mm? Sorry, not used to working with the metric system lol. In my line of work, I do know that .044 of an inch = 1mm, but not sure about the gauge. Also, with the ribbon wire being flat, it totally throws a wrench in everything.

From what I read, it seems the .5mm is closer to something like the 28g than 30g. Can anyone chime in? Thank you!

Last edited:

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
i've dabbled with ribbon wire....
i personally felt no difference, but i vape 0.4 ohm setups, so i may be the exception.... as a beginner, i would stay away from that. :closedeyes:

if you dont have one get an ohm meter... at least then your not guessing as to how hot your setup is

I got flamed to hell and back for this; but the guys at my local shop set my magneto/igo-w at .3 ohms on my first build. I am not the type of guy to run off and not look into anything, not to mention the hours of research I had done before they built it for me. I was surprised, but not scared. I have all AW IMR18650's, and use my SVD to check resistance.

I am not afraid of sub ohm coils, however if I can get a similar vape from a micro @ 1.3ish (or whatever), then more power to me. Do you think I can make it happen with the ribbon (the micro coil)?

Thanks bro

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
anything is possible... i have a Z-AttyPro setup on my Provari @ 1.8ohms and the hit is very enjoyable.

i dont like micro coils... more work than i want to deal with.
the many people in the above mentioned micro-coil thread, should be an indication that micro-coils are a worth it.

doesnt hurt to try if you have the time.

for me though... i'll stick to my setups. they last long and take me less than 10 minutes from start to finish, to setup.

Just a word of thought.
If a shop is more interested in telling you what you should be using, rather than setting you up with what you want...
I wouldn't go back.
nothing wrong with a show and tell suggestion, but flaming a customer for not wanting a 0.3ohm coil is just messed up.
:2c:

Last edited:

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
anything is possible... i have a Z-AttyPro setup on my Provari @ 1.8ohms and the hit is very enjoyable.

i dont like micro coils... more work than i want to deal with.
the many people in the above mentioned micro-coil thread, should be an indication that micro-coils are a worth it.

doesnt hurt to try if you have the time.

for me though... i'll stick to my setups. they last long and take me less than 10 minutes from start to finish, to setup.

Just a word of thought.
If a shop is more interested in telling you what you should be using, rather than setting you up with what you want...
I wouldn't go back.
nothing wrong with a show and tell suggestion, but flaming a customer for not wanting a 0.3ohm coil is just messed up.
:2c:

RIght on.

No, no. Got flamed on this thread for the .3 ohm because they thought I didn't know anything about electricity/dripping etc.

However the guys are definitely tools at that shop and I have since, switched to another.

If you don't mind me asking, what size wire and what type/size wick do you use for your set ups? How long do they typically last? Sorry for the 101 questions lol

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
Sorry misread your post. flamer gonna flame, everyone start off somewhere... there is no need for a lot of the hate that gets thrown around on these forums.

currently i rotate between my Z-Atty Pro, RSST by Smoktech, and ERA by BudzWorx

Z-Atty Pro
500 SS mesh(tightly rolled), currently experimenting with ceramic stone wicks from provape
30 ga. kanthal @1.8ohms
On Provari

RSST
500 SS mesh (loosely rolled & hollow)
28ga. kanthal @ 0.7ohms
On Caravela (18350)

ERA
Nextel XC-116 (braided ceramic rope)
28ga kanthal, dual coil @ 0.4ohms
On Caravela (18650)

the thick gauge of kanthal makes it harder to pop the coil, so i never actually replace them out of necessity...
I'm OCD when it comes to my coils, so i replace them when they dont look like new after a dry burn. it gives me something to do when im bored... i usually go about a month before replace coil and wick :laugh:

good writeup Super X:thumb:

Last edited:

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Sorry misread your post. flamer gonna flame, everyone start off somewhere... there is no need for a lot of the hate that gets thrown around on these forums.

currently i rotate between my Z-Atty Pro, RSST by Smoktech, and ERA by BudzWorx

Z-Atty Pro
500 SS mesh(tightly rolled), currently experimenting with ceramic stone wicks from provape
30 ga. kanthal @1.8ohms
On Provari

RSST
500 SS mesh (loosely rolled & hollow)
28ga. kanthal @ 0.7ohms
On Caravela (18350)

ERA
Nextel XC-116 (braided ceramic rope)
28ga kanthal, dual coil @ 0.4ohms
On Caravela (18650)

the thick gauge of kanthal makes it harder to pop the coil, so i never actually replace them out of necessity...
I'm OCD when it comes to my coils, so i replace them when they dont look like new after a dry burn. it gives me something to do when im bored... i usually go about a month before replace coil and wick :laugh:

good writeup Super X:thumb:

Again, very helpful! Thank you so much man.

I am definitely intrigued by genny style atty's. If they vape somewhat close to a drip atty, that would be awesome considering the convenience factor!

edit: ohhhhh that .7 RSST on the Caravela sounds sexy as all hell! :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
Again, very helpful! Thank you so much man.
I am definitely intrigued by genny style atty's. If they vape somewhat close to a drip atty, that would be awesome considering the convenience factor!
edit: ohhhhh that .7 RSST on the Caravela sounds sexy as all hell! :)

not a problem...
any setup can be as good as a dripping setup, you just have to build it properly ;)

and yes i love it, this is currently my carry around setup.... shameless picture, while on vacation!
IMG_0464_zpsb203fd8f-1.jpg

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Dude I love my helping hands alligator clips. They make things much easier!

With the igo W, it is set up so you can use double coils. Basically, the positive post is the one that is attached to the 510 connection, meaning it is the middle post with the Igo w. the two outside posts are the negative ones.

As far as actually wrapping coils, it is a matter of wrapping the kanthal over the wick. Some people wrap the kanthal around a drill bit and the shove the ekowool, silica, cotton, etc... Through the coils. Other people stick a pin through silica and wrap around that or you can put a paper clip with your silica and wrap the Kanthal around it. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat.

My method is to use my helping hands alligator clips. I put the silica and wick in one clip and then pull it tight while I wrap my coil.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread