Got vapemail, and a question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
YAY, my HHV order is here! Trying a bit of dragon's breath in a blank carto. Not bad, but will let it steep a while. Now for the question. I also got my eGo 900mAh. The instructions (in bad English with lots of typos) say to charge the battery for 8 hours, even if the light turns green. Then to vape for 20 min, and then to charge another hour....Do I really need to wait that long? and there are TWO batteries...I"m dying to fill up a clearo and try this out ASAP. What is the minimum time?

ShayBabe15

Moved On
Jan 29, 2013
that sounds ridiculous..where did you get your batteries from?
All eGO batteries are fully charged within two hours at the most. Your 900mAH will last you nine hours when fully charged. After you charge one, charge the other so you have a back up. You don't want to charge your battery for eight hours..any battery for eight hours..this will wear and tear your battery. I fried one of mine when I forgot about it five hours later.
Vape for twenty minutes? Please, no..that's just silly.
I am a total eGO fanatic..When the light turns green..it is done unless you get a bogus charger.
The minimum time for an eGO is like an hour, but it wont last as long. I can send you some instructions on how to maintain and keep well if you'd like.:)

Edit: With every eGO I have bought, built or refurbished..I have never seen instructions like that. On all of my new batteries, first charge, they worked perfectly about two and a half hours later. I've never charged mine for that long..Although, even if it says that..my common sense says no. That's just me though. Experience your own:)

Last edited:

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
I was told to charge all my new batts for 8 hours for 1st charge. It is similar to charging your cell phone. I get 2 days out of my 900 mah and 20 hours from my 650 twist. Thereis a big discussion on if you have to do the 8 hour charge but I feel better safe than sorry.

Edit: the 20min thing sounds silly

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Those are the instructions sent with kGo kits, too. I don't know if you really need to do that...it seems a bit crazy. But when I got my kGo it was about a year ago with some other friends (who got theirs, too) and we all were newbs and scared to buck the instructions. But I never got that instruction with my eGo batteries...and so I didn't do it. No difference in the performance or longevity with the kGo and eGo so far as I can tell. Usually the eGos are pretty close to charged (maybe 85%?) when they arrive. Doesn't take long to pump 'em up.

Happy vaping!

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
All eGO batteries are fully charged within two hours at the most. Your 900mAH will last you nine hours when fully charged. After you charge one, charge the other so you have a back up. You don't want to charge your battery for eight hours..any battery for eight hours..this will wear and tear your battery. I fried one of mine when I forgot about it five hours later.
I am a total eGO fanatic..When the light turns green..it is done unless you get a bogus charger.
The minimum time for an eGO is like an hour, but it wont last as long. I can send you some instructions on how to maintain and keep well if you'd like.:)

Yes please, I would like the instructions. I got it from HHV, they were having a fantastic sale, and I figure anything is better than my 'lasts maybe an hour' 808 cig alike.

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca

sounds like you have a bad charger, I leave mine on charger over night never have an issue. Mine turns it's self off once the battery is charged.

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
sounds like you have a bad charger, I leave mine on charger over night never have an issue. Mine turns it's self off once the battery is charged.

No..those are the actual written instructions! I just got it about 20 min ago, have it on the charger now, just didn't want to wait 8+ hours. :)

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca

Edit: With every eGO I have bought, built or refurbished..I have never seen instructions like that. On all of my new batteries, first charge, they worked perfectly about two and a half hours later. I've never charged mine for that long..Although, even if it says that..my common sense says no. That's just me though. Experience your own:)

No..those are the actual written instructions! I just got it about 20 min ago, have it on the charger now, just didn't want to wait 8+ hours. :)

I was talking about that line I highlighted. :)

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
Ok, typing this directly from the instruction booklet, fyi, :blink::
Screw the dedicated power supply in the charger, and connect the charger to the power outlet.
(1). The first charge should be kept for 8 hours, even if the LED light turns green.
(2). use for 20 minutes.
(3). Charge power supply for another 1 hour.
Your power supply is now ready for normal use. Normal charging time should be kept for 3 hours (even if the LED light turns green)

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I use the ego c upgrade passthrough. I never let it go much below a 50% charge (the upgrade has the light that tells you when that is) and it has never taken longer than max hour and a half/two hours to bring it back to full charge. Just using plain old logic: Why would the ego have lights to guide you? If you are to charge it after the battery shows fully charged, wouldn't that mean its defective in terms of the lights? Or is it a case of the "protection" in it being useless if it will continue to charge after it shows its shut down? Something really wrong there.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Ok, typing this directly from the instruction booklet, fyi, :blink::
Screw the dedicated power supply in the charger, and connect the charger to the power outlet.
(1). The first charge should be kept for 8 hours, even if the LED light turns green.
(2). use for 20 minutes.
(3). Charge power supply for another 1 hour.
Your power supply is now ready for normal use. Normal charging time should be kept for 3 hours (even if the LED light turns green)

Seems to me its a matter of Chinese translation. I don't know those colors. The ego upgrade turn light is white above a 50% charge and blue when below that. But, language-wise "the first charge should be kept for 8 hours" does not say the battery should be charged for 8 hours. If it comes pretty much charged already, which all of mine have been (on an ego upgrade that would mean the light is white) then taking a few draws and then topping off is what I do with new batteries. I really think that's what they mean. They're basically saying... we charged it but sitting on the shelf it lost some charge and we can't know how much so its a good idea to get it going and then top it off.... but that's a matter of minutes, not hours, and certainly not 8 as it doesn't take that longer to go from totally dead to fully charged. So... yeh, they mean the charge it arrived with should last at least 8 hours but its always a good practice to fully charge a new battery before using it all the way down... just like a cell phone lion battery. Put it on the charger and when the light says its fully charged, it is.

Last edited:

ShayBabe15

Moved On
Jan 29, 2013
It works fine with all my other batteries(non eGO) if I let it go over night. It might have been the battery, too. I don't know, I like my charger haha.
It's an experience for everyone though. Fine the likes and dislikes, etc.:)

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
Seems to me its a matter of Chinese translation. I don't know those colors. The ego upgrade turn light is white above a 50% charge and blue when below that. But, language-wise "the first charge should be kept for 8 hours" does not say the battery should be charged for 8 hours. If it comes pretty much charged already, which all of mine have been (on an ego upgrade that would mean the light is white) then taking a few draws and then topping off is what I do with new batteries. I really think that's what they mean. They're basically saying... we charged it but sitting on the shelf it lost some charge and we can't know how much so its a good idea to get it going and then top it off.... but that's a matter of minutes, not hours, and certainly not 8 as it doesn't take that longer to go from totally dead to fully charged. So... yeh, they mean the charge it arrived with should last at least 8 hours but its always a good practice to fully charge a new battery before using it all the way down... just like a cell phone lion battery. Put it on the charger and when the light says its fully charged, it is.

I was hoping it was just a translation problem, and that what you said is what they meant. Thank you Everyone for your help. :)

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
Hi Molli!

Your new avatar is so cute :) what flavors did u get from HHV? I'm not sure about the 8 hr charge but I tend to follow manufacturer's directions. Hope all is well :)

Thanks, its the best I could find on the web...not quite 'accurate', but close enough. :) I got a large bottle of Dragons Breath, and samplers of Angels Kiss, Parrothead, Bleeding Heart, and Caramel Cappuccino. Dragons breath is good, but I think I need to let it steep. the cappuccino is great right out of the bottle! Steeping the others first.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
When you get your new battery it should be at 80% charge. Standard protocol for a lithium break-in

1. Immediately charge before using to 100%
2. Use the battery until at about 80% (if youre not sure how far 80% is, just guesstimate)
3. Charge full again
4. Use normally

As for use normally, best practice is to get in the habit of charging above 50% and below 80%. Lithium batteries have shown the best output over lifespan when maintained in this manner

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Volume Control is spot on.
I did some research here @ECF & at battery university when I got my Kgo with those 8 hour instructions a year ago.

This is what I learned:
Those are the old instructions for the old NiCad batteries. What we have are Li-ion batteries. Big difference. Apparently the Chinese never changed their translated instructions.

You can start vaping straight out of the box!!! :)

Oh...and don't leave your battery on the charger after the light turns green. When it's green it's done.

And don't charge your battery while you sleep or you're away from the charger.

Vape on & vape safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread