• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

grants vanilla custard..which atomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys...I'm still new to this so I may use some wrong terminology, please bare with me :)

So I'm waiting for GVC to come back on sale, because every review I've seen screams to me that its just what I want to vape!!

My first question is does anyone have any recommendations regarding ratios to buy?

Most people say 50/50

But there is VG/heavy (what is heavy BTW?), and 100% VG/0%PG

I like my vapes rich, sweet and flavoursome with low/medium nicotine

But my second, and main question is what to vape it in?

It says to use a silica wick with a Max of 1.8ohms

Now forgive me but I don't really know what I need to buy

I currently have a naturevape pro kit that I need to wick myself

I have a couple vapourlites eGo 650 with their standard clearimizer

But mainly I use a segelie zmax v3 with a nautilus clearomizer

Do any of these fit into the required category, or do I need to buy a new clearomizer for the v3?

Thanks in advance

Regards james

Last edited:

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Hi guys...I'm still new to this so I may use some wrong terminology, please bare with me :)

So I'm waiting for GVC to come back on sale, because every review I've seen screams to me that its just what I want to vape!!

My first question is does anyone have any recommendations regarding ratios to buy?

Most people say 50/50

Do any of these fit into the required category, or do I need to buy a new clearomizer for the v3?

Thanks in advance

Regards james

Hi james, VG heavy is just as it says,,, heavier on the VG, I think it is 75% Vg 25% PG. I vape the GVC @ 1.6 ohms, in a kayfun atomiser, wicked with rayon. If any of your atomisers are wicked with silica, you should be fine using them, or you could wick your naturevape coil with cotton.

Whatever wicking material you decide on, you are in for a treat.:)

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow

Most people say 50/50

Thanks in advance

Regards james

VG is thicker (more viscous) than PG and produces more vapour than PG. PG is thinner (less viscous) but 'carries' flavour better than VG.

You can get good flavour in higher VG juices but unless you're really concerned with blowing huge clouds than I'd say a 50/50 blend works well. Also bearing in mind how thick (viscous) the juice is affects how easily it wicks (higher VG juice doesn't flow as easily as it is thicker) so you may get more 'dry hits' with a higher VG juice, depending on your setup.

I would say 100% VG juices are more for 'cloud chasers' (people who just love to produce as much vapour as possible) or for people who have a PG allergy. If you don't fit into either of those categories then a 50/50 should be a good balance. Of course you can experiment and see what you like though.

I do not own a nautilus but I believe the flavour you'll get will be perfectly good with that. The advice about the ohms of the coil applies more to using an eGo battery or a mech mod. If you use your zmax v3 then you can alter the power using the variable voltage or wattage controls. Vary the power and see how it effects the flavour. You COULD always get a new clearomiser or something if you're not satisfied by the vape but what you have should be good.

Let me know if you have any other questions

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Thanks for the advice both of you

I think if I can I will try both the 50/50 and the VG heavy

I don't think I will use the 100%vg as it may clog up my nature vapes cotton wick to quickly if I use it

I really appreciate both of your quick and easy to understand advice :)

You are most wecome james, as dw says, if you need any more help there will always be someone here to help you, I vape the 50/50 myself and i can usually run around 20 ml through my kayfun before needing to re-wick. :)

SteveMc

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
UK
I've got what remains of 3x 100ml bottles of the stuff, all 1.8mg nic. I have a Standard, a VG Heavy and an ALL VG.
Contrary to popular belief it's vaped well with all coil setups [1.4-2.8 ohms] and both cotton and silica wicking material.
I'd say my favourite for flavour is the 50:50 Standard. We bought the VG Heavy at the same time as the Standard and then the ALL VG the last time. The reason for this is that my girlfriend has eczema and also finds that her throat prefers higher VG.
I'd say it's down to personal choice but for me I liked the Standard 50:50 and if I buy any in the future that's what I'd go for as Susie's now decided it's not for her.
I'm using a N-Vape Midi tank too and it vapes fine with the 1.5 ohm coil and cotton and for me around 12 watts.
Happy vaping! :)

PS: It should be on sale at the end of September but you have to be quick, sells out very fast.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve :)

That's some very specific info that is great to know

I may try the lower PG ratios,as I'm getting a nasty aftertaste from it!!!

I know he sells out fast and the problem is that I go to work early and have no internet until I return at around 5pm...I just hope there is still some for sale by then because I hear it sells out in a day!!!

SteveMc

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
UK
Thanks Steve :)

That's some very specific info that is great to know

I may try the lower PG ratios,as I'm getting a nasty aftertaste from it!!!

I know he sells out fast and the problem is that I go to work early and have no internet until I return at around 5pm...I just hope there is still some for sale by then because I hear it sells out in a day!!!
Might be an idea to get a friend to buy it for you, if there's any left at 1700 it might not be what you're after.
If you cover postage and add a couple of quid, say a fiver total, I don't mind sending you a 10ml bottle of the ALL VG. Can't do any more as I've only got about 50ml of it left. I received it July 30th.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
If you miss out on Grant's then the word on the street is that Capella's vanilla custard concentrate is very similar.

Rumour has it the GVC recipe is mostly Capella's vanilla custard, apparently Grant posted his recipe once before it was famous.

I don't know whether this is true or not and I haven't tried either GVC or Capellas but I probably will at some point. Also worth noting that the original Capella's vanilla custard contained diacetyl (possibly harmful when vaped) and now they also do a diacetyl free version in addition. I'll probably try the diacetyl free one in the future as I've really gotten into DIY juice lately

As a self confessed Grant's Vanilla Custard freak I would suggest to use it in the device you like to vape on. There is no device or method I found that was not a good one for this juice. I think the Nautilus would be what I use out of the choices given. As for the blend I always get the 100% VG (Grant Himself uses that blend now) The 100% VG is not as thick as other all VG Juices so it works well in all devices(IMO). I have the heavy VG as well and noticed the flavor is barely noticeable as far as stronger flavor and the 50/50 is more PG than I care for. The biggest problem you are going to have is getting it. You HAVE TO BE SIGNED IN AND READY TO ORDER FAST!!!!!!!!!! The last time I went that route it was sold out in less than 5 minutes. The 0 nicotine and the heavy VG took about 10 minutes. Mind your time zone and be ready when it opens either 8am or 830am London time. Good Luck!

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
If you miss out on Grant's then the word on the street is that Capella's vanilla custard concentrate is very similar.

Rumour has it the GVC recipe is mostly Capella's vanilla custard, apparently Grant posted his recipe once before it was famous.

I don't know whether this is true or not and I haven't tried eitherGVC or Capellas but I probably will at some point. Also worth noting that the original Capella's vanilla custard contained diacetyl (possibly harmful when vaped) and now they also do a diacetyl free version in addition. I'll probably try the diacetyl free one in the future as I've really gotten into DIY juice lately
I don't know what is used in GVC, but apart from Capella, Perfumers Apprentice have also produced a range of flavouring that has had the potentially troublesome 'custard ingredients' removed.
These ingredients are explained on this page: https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/t-FlavorWorkshopCustard.aspx

They do state on each flavour if there are any of the substances present in that particular flavour: https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-54-professional-flavors.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread