Gunk on coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
hey again, I wanted to ask you more experienced vapers a quick question. I am using a kayfun and I run a 50/50 juice and as expected when I rewick there is a bunch of burned goop on the coil. I wick it every other tank so that the flavor stays good, but I find that when I dry burn the coil it leaves somewhat of a chalky looking stuff on the coil that I can't seem to get off of it. I get a really good flavor for the first tank after a new coil but after that it just goes downhill quickly and I end up having to build a new coil.

I am just wondering how you guys clean these coils so that they don't have the ashy looking stuff on them and the flavor stays good?

Moxienator

Super Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Central Mass
Dry burn and quench (not firing, but still hot) in cold DI/distilled water. It will get the majority off, but that is the price you pay with flavored juice.

I just switched to 12mg unflavored 65pg/30vg/5water in my KFL+V2 and it is by far the longest lasting coil I've had yet. I'm on day 5 I think without rewicking. Just filler up and vape away.

Unflavored in a kayfun at 1.2 - 1.5 is super tasty BTW.

sent via Droid Mini

Eric in NJ

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2012
New Jersey
You can dry burn the coil after you take the used wick out and drop water on to it to steam clean it. I assume you are using kanthal? If so, that is the easiest coil to clean this way. I really like tinkering so I build a coil each time I change the wick, well not every time but most of the times. If you are using nickel, I tried that method but it did not work as the parts that were not exposed to the water usually glowed red without cleaning anything off of the wet parts. I suppose there is another way but I prefer to just change it out every time I re-wick.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
I would try soaking in alcohol overnight then letting it air dry. are you using sweet flavors?

I use 50/50 strawberry and grape mixed half and half.

I appreciate all the replies, I will try the stuff that's been mentioned. As for the way I do it, I wet it first then burn but I don't wet it again and I do hold it for the 10 seconds that my mod allows, I don't pulse. I will change those two things and hopefully correct the issue.

KGB7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rockville, MD
Here are my simple steps.

1. Remove all wick material and run the coil under hot HOT water for 15sec.
2. Crank the Wattage on the battery mod to 40watts and hit the fire button for 10 sec.
3. Run the coil under hot water for 2 sec.
4. repeat step 2 and 3.
5. Let the coil cool.
6. take an old tooth brush, make sure its been cleaned with soap and hot water and rinsed of any soap residue. dry the tooth brush
7. use the old tooth brush to dry brush the coil.the tooth brush must be dry.
8. wick the coil.

the end.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
These work great for cleaning your coils after dry burning. Pack of four at the Dollar Store for, you guessed it, one dollar.

b7749e99033fb5026e34cbce62f5b915.jpg

Tap'd from my LG G3

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
I wonder if gunk on coil may be imparting on lesser healthy particle release as sometimes when I notice bad taste and I instantly think that it needs a wick change, open up the tank and the wick is perfect, no scorched marks, nothing, but the coil is gunked up to no belief

That's what I was thinking, I don't know if the gunk part is any more or less unhealthy than the juice because it is just burnt caked on juice but I feel like the ashy looking stuff after dry burning can't be good for you.. I will say I have been using the quench method along with pulsing rather than long firing and it makes a huge difference. I have been doing this on the kayfun and the dripper and the coils look like new after dry burning and wetting a few times, I can definitely see the coils going a long time with this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread