Issue after last wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Rewicked one of my ijoy EXOs Friday (single coil, kept same coil) and on the third tank fill of ejuice (6ml tank, same ejuice each fill) I started to get a not quite burnt flavor which I have never had before on longer draws. Don't get it on shorter draws. I have noticed if I unscrew the tip cap when that flavor happens, I will get 2-3 good sized air bubbles and it will vape fine for a couple long draws but then burnt flavor returns. On my second tank of ejuice sine noticing the burnt flavor. And the burnt flavor isn't in your face like when a coil/wick goes bad, it's in the background. Sort of like if you made a big batch of chili and burnt the bottom, start eating a bowl and you can just ever so lightly taste the burnt.

I also rewicked another EXO with dual coils at the same time and don't have this issue with it. Was wondering if anyone has run into this, what could be causing it, etc. Will be rewicking after I finish the current tank of juice but was hoping to have an idea what to look for or change when I do rewick.

Quick background: been using the same setup since I got the tank over 6 months ago. Third rewick on this same coil, use pre-made coils but have always used the same coils and still on the same package I ordered. Have used the same brand of cotton on all my tanks. I run the same watts, airflow and juice flow I always have, the ohms read the same as always, so nothing different as I've done over the last 6 months with this tank.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Rewicked one of my ijoy EXOs Friday (single coil, kept same coil) and on the third tank fill of ejuice (6ml tank, same ejuice each fill) I started to get a not quite burnt flavor which I have never had before on longer draws. Don't get it on shorter draws. I have noticed if I unscrew the tip cap when that flavor happens, I will get 2-3 good sized air bubbles and it will vape fine for a couple long draws but then burnt flavor returns. On my second tank of ejuice sine noticing the burnt flavor. And the burnt flavor isn't in your face like when a coil/wick goes bad, it's in the background. Sort of like if you made a big batch of chili and burnt the bottom, start eating a bowl and you can just ever so lightly taste the burnt.

I also rewicked another EXO with dual coils at the same time and don't have this issue with it. Was wondering if anyone has run into this, what could be causing it, etc. Will be rewicking after I finish the current tank of juice but was hoping to have an idea what to look for or change when I do rewick.

Quick background: been using the same setup since I got the tank over 6 months ago. Third rewick on this same coil, use pre-made coils but have always used the same coils and still on the same package I ordered. Have used the same brand of cotton on all my tanks. I run the same watts, airflow and juice flow I always have, the ohms read the same as always, so nothing different as I've done over the last 6 months with this tank.
Two things come to mind. Maybe you added just a smidge more cotton than you normally do or when was the last time this tank had a good cleaning?

That's all I got......

:)

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Yup. This last time you wicked it a little too tight, or packed the cotton into the wick ports a little too tight. Rewick and make sure the cotton moves with only a little resistance in the coil, and is not packed into the juice ports too tightly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yep. Too much cotton.

If the orings were too loose, wouldn't the deck be more prone to flooding?
Just tossing out a possible solution. He stated he wicked same as usual. I figured after 6 months of using the rta he knew it pretty well was looking for suggestions.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
To me it also sounds like a little bit too much cotton. I have had that happen (before I moved to rayon wick) and it sounds like a similar outcome. Sometimes you just don't get it quite right, but good for you for asking for suggestions on the forum. It doesn't sound like O-rings but sometimes you just never know... Good luck with it.

Anna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Learn to thin the tails by holding down one side then brushing through them with sharp tweezers or a thick pin then cutting off the removed fluff, a mm or two from the coil not removing fibers from inside the coil. You'll remove some of the excess tail bulk that could be choking the build if your using a larger ID coil. The brushing works great for rayon that has to be tight in the coil and also for cotton. You getting a few hits then dryer hit IMO your not getting enough juice to the coil fast enough to cover the vape and if its not the wicking in the coil then the tails are the issue, it feels plugged so IMO the tails are being choked if your seeing the air bubbles after the fact . Once you learn the amount to remove you'll definitely notice the difference... almost "game changer".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread