H.R.2058 - FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just emailing your reps once is not enough. Keep at it. If you get a canned response, do it again and again and again.

Keep bugging them. By doing this, you are letting them know you are NOT going away and we are NOT going to let them steamroll us quietly. We are Pushing Back.

This cannot be stressed enough. Make a habit of writing at a specified time period. Say for example, every Sunday morning or whatever fits one's schedule.

Excellent points!! Will do. ;)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Tom Cole states in his press release that his amendment was approved, see link, does that mean it will now be attached to the 2017 budget, or was that just one hurdle of that particular process? If you know.

Cole Responds to FDA Expanding Regulatory Authority on Tobacco Products
This is not the HR2058 bill, this is the bill that was sponsored by him and another person
I still believe that my bipartisan amendment, recently approved by the Appropriations Committee in the Agriculture Appropriations bill

This just means that it is now set to go to the House and the Senate to be voted on. Just one step of several before it finally sits on the President's desk to be signed or vetoed.

Basically, he hedged his bets and had the same thing in two places. HR2058 is still sitting where ever it is sitting but this one is actually making progress through the stages. This one is attached to the Agriculture budget (?).

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This is not the HR2058 bill, this is the bill that was sponsored by him and another person

This just means that it is now set to go to the House and the Senate to be voted on. Just one step of several before it finally sits on the President's desk to be signed or vetoed.

Basically, he hedged his bets and had the same thing in two places. HR2058 is still sitting where ever it is sitting but this one is actually making progress through the stages. This one is attached to the Agriculture budget (?).
Correct. My question pertains to the amendment that has been approved. Not HR2058.
The amendment that has been approved, that is attached to the Agriculture Budget, does that require more approval, or is it set to be attached to the final 2017 budget?

Reactions: Bronze

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Correct. My question pertains to the amendment that has been approved. Not HR2058.
The amendment that has been approved, that is attached to the Agriculture Budget, does that require more approval, or is it set to be attached to the final 2017 budget?
Not sure. I do know that being passed out of the committee, it now sets it up to be voted on by the House and Senate. Not sure if it is put directly into the budget.....

Anyone? Help?

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Yeah I'm very interested in H.R. 2058 as well. I was not able to find any updated information on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1. This has to go to the House of Representatives (and we don't know when).
2. Then it has to go to the Senate (we don't know when).
3. Then the President can still veto it (very likely with the current President)
4. It'll be very hard to override a veto.

Is that the situation we are in as far as HR2058 is concerned?

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Yeah I'm very interested in H.R. 2058 as well. I was not able to find any updated information on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1. This has to go to the House of Representatives (and we don't know when).
2. Then it has to go to the Senate (we don't know when).
3. Then the President can still veto it (very likely with the current President)
4. It'll be very hard to override a veto.

Is that the situation we are in as far as HR2058 is concerned?
No.

HR2058 is separate from the Bipartisan Amendment.

HR2058 is still sitting without movement. There is speculation that it didn't move because it was waiting on the actual deeming to come out.

We are hopeful that now that the deeming has been released, there now will be movement on HR2058. That is why everyone is being urged to contact their reps in government to support HR2058.

Please take a moment to do this Call to Action: CASAA: FDA

If you have done it already, do it again.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
If the bill even went to the President no doubt Obama would veto it. And I highly suspect (about 98%) sure given her track record of support for big government, Hillary would veto it too. And probably so would Trump but who knows, but at least there'd be a chance I think that he would consider the benefits of vaping whereas Hillary would most certainly probably just continue the big money corporate policies of Obama.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
If the bill even went to the President no doubt Obama would veto it. And I highly suspect (about 98%) sure given her track record of support for big government, Hillary would veto it too. And probably so would Trump but who knows, but at least there'd be a chance I think that he would consider the benefits of vaping whereas Hillary would most certainly probably just continue the big money corporate policies of Obama.

trump....this upcoming presidential election is going to be a scary one.

jjk1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
Maine, USA
Tom Cole states in his press release that his amendment was approved, see link, does that mean it will now be attached to the 2017 budget, or was that just one hurdle of that particular process? If you know.

The amendment can still be removed or modified but at this point it is our best hope IMO.

Amendments attached to massive spending bills are how politicians get controversial legislation through all the time. It provides political cover for the opposition that end up voting for a necessary popular spending bill. It would never pass as a standalone bill. I don’t know the dates when this bill goes for a full house vote and on to the senate. Wish I did.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The amendment can still be removed or modified but at this point it is our best hope IMO.

Amendments attached to massive spending bills are how politicians get controversial legislation through all the time. It provides political cover for the opposition that end up voting for a necessary popular spending bill. It would never pass as a standalone bill. I don’t know the dates when this bill goes for a full house vote and on to the senate. Wish I did.
Oh, okay. Thank you for direction regarding that. :)

Here are links for House calendars, at a glance, they look the same, the Whip's actually has some times noted.
...now I guess we just stalk the news, CASAA, and C-span.

http://www.majorityleader.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2016_ANNUAL_CALENDAR.pdf

Calendar | The Office of Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer

Then here's one I found for the senate. It's pretty generic, maybe there's a better one out there.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/resources/pdf/2016_calendar.pdf

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
No.

HR2058 is separate from the Bipartisan Amendment.

HR2058 is still sitting without movement. There is speculation that it didn't move because it was waiting on the actual deeming to come out.

We are hopeful that now that the deeming has been released, there now will be movement on HR2058. That is why everyone is being urged to contact their reps in government to support HR2058.

Please take a moment to do this Call to Action: CASAA: FDA

If you have done it already, do it again.

Thanks for clarifying. I will do my part.

But is there any time frame (estimated) on how soon we might hear an update on any of them, especially the Bipartisan Amendment?

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
I'd love that Bernie is the only one I'd come out and vote for assuming Trump doesn't come out in support of smoker's rights and vaping rights.

I think even if Bernie doesn't make it into the election I'm still going to go out and vote for the Democrats, to me its a lesser evil (dishonest politician vs hate promoting politician I choose the former). Personal preference of course, not trying to stir-up a political debate here.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Thanks for clarifying. I will do my part.

But is there any time frame (estimated) on how soon we might hear an update on any of them, especially the Bipartisan Amendment?

Not a clue. There are those that are watching the bill's state (HR2058) as it goes through the system. I don't know if there is anyway to watch the Amendment one though. I don't even know if there is a number attached to it. I just know it as the Agriculture ...something or other.

I'm so clueless on some of these :facepalm:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

In short, it has been attached to the budget. The amendment was approved/passed by committee. It has to be passed by the full house before it can move to the senate (and then the president). It appears there are two avenues but I could be wrong. H.R. 2058 is a stand alone piece of legislation that dilutes the FDA regs. This piece also made it through committee and would need passage by the full house. Many times they attach bills to other bills and then it is give and take time. This amendment Cole speaks of appears to be similar/same as HR2058 but is being attached to the Agriculture appropriation bill (another way to get the same legislation passed). Truthfully, I am not clear as exactly how Cole plans to move the provisions in HR2058. Amending the appropriations bill like he is doing here might be it. I need more clarification. Meanwhile, there are 12 total appropriation bills that make up the US budget. They need to be passed before the 2017 budget begins which is October, 2016. If not then we either operate from continuing resolutions (using 2016 funding provisions) or shut down the government. But for now, HR 2058 and/or the amendment to the agricultural appropriation bill that Cole speaks of in your link has NOT passed yet. The only thing that it has passed is the committee vote (which is always the first step).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread