Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Folks,when discussing Bernie, Trump, Hillary or any politics let's be sure to keep it focused on the vaping regulations only. Each of us could come up with a long list of why we think the other person's favorite candidate is a chump. That's not why we are here. If you want to mention any of these candidates it's fine as long as it relates to the vaping regulations.

My personal opinion is that neither Bernie or Hillary will change the FDA regulations or even appoint DHHS secretaries that would even think of doing it (would they go counter to Obama? Don't see that happening.). Trump, I don't know. My guess is he wouldn't concern himself over it and simply allow his DHHS secretary decide it for him. Just my guess and worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
In short, it has been attached to the budget. The amendment was approved/passed by committee. It has to be passed by the full house before it can move to the senate (and then the president). It appears there are two avenues but I could be wrong. H.R. 2058 is a stand alone piece of legislation that dilutes the FDA regs. This piece also made it through committee and would need passage by the full house. Many times they attach bills to other bills and then it is give and take time. This amendment Cole speaks of appears to be similar/same as HR2058 but is being attached to the Agriculture appropriation bill (another way to get the same legislation passed). Truthfully, I am not clear as exactly how Cole plans to move the provisions in HR2058. Amending the appropriations bill like he is doing here might be it. I need more clarification. Meanwhile, there are 12 total appropriation bills that make up the US budget. They need to be passed before the 2017 budget begins which is October, 2016. If not then we either operate from continuing resolutions (using 2016 funding provisions) or shut down the government. But for now, HR 2058 and/or the amendment to the agricultural appropriation bill that Cole speaks of in your link has NOT passed yet. The only thing that it has passed is the committee vote (which is always the first step).
Excellent detail there!! Yes, basically what I was thinking, but it's been MANY years since I've given the whole nuts and bolts of that process much thought.

I won't be appearing on Jeapordy anytime soon, :laugh: but the brain fog is lifting, thank you for taking the time to write all that !! I actually wasn't that far off.

Well hopefully there will be some movement on HR 2058 now that the reg information been released.

Is there anywhere that you (or anyone) knows of that shows what's on the schedule to be discussed/voted on??
...I'll go poke around and see if I can find anything.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Excellent detail there!! Yes, basically what I was thinking, but it's been MANY years since I've given the whole nuts and bolts of that process much thought.

I won't be appearing on Jeapordy anytime soon, :laugh: but the brain fog is lifting, thank you for taking the time to write all the!! I actually wasn't that far off.

Well hopefully there will be some movement on HR 2058 now that the reg information been released.

Is there anywhere that you (or anyone) knows of that shows what's on the schedule to be discussed/voted on??
Lori, NO ONE knows how these bozos do what they do. If you're in a fog then you are joining 99% of the rest of us. There are all kinds of tricks pols play to get their legislation passed. Attaching the provisions in HR2058 to an appropriation bill would be one such trick and this is kind of what I'm thinking is going on here.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

I won't be appearing on Jeapordy anytime soon, :laugh: but the brain fog is lifting, thank you for taking the time to write all that !! I actually wasn't that far off.

The one that kills me is you'll hear candidates bash each other for supporting various things that they really don't support. When you get in the weeds and do a little digging what you'll find is many bills being attached to one larger bill. For example, someone might attach a spending cut to the program that inspects the paint used in Chinese imported toys to make sure there is no lead in it to a spending bill that continues funding PTSD treatment for our veterans. If you vote against the bill you are charged with hating veterans. If you vote for the bill you are accused of hating children. You can't win!

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The one that kills me is you'll hear candidates bash each other for supporting various things that they really don't support. When you get in the weeds and do a little digging what you'll find is many bills being attached to one larger bill. For example, someone might attach a spending cut to the program that inspects the paint used in Chinese imported toys to make sure there is no lead in it to a spending bill that continues funding PTSD treatment for our veterans. If you vote against the bill you are charged with hating veterans. If you vote for the bill you are accused of hating children. You can't win!
Well, that's where they also put the pork, and pet projects.
I also heard last week ??, I don't know, time flies sometimes, but that now, they can actually NOT DISCLOSE everything for public inspection!!!

It's always going to be crooked, they're the ones who MAKE the laws. :laugh:

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Lori, NO ONE knows how these bozos do what they do. If you're in a fog then you are joining 99% of the rest of us. There are all kinds of tricks pols play to get their legislation passed. Attaching the provisions in HR2058 to an appropriation bill would be one such trick and this is kind of what I'm thinking is going on here.
I really used to avoid anything political, really just living in my own little world, because the more you knew about all of it, the LESS you wanted to know.
It's really a VILE arena.

jjk1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
Maine, USA
I’m praying this thing gets passed (the agriculture spending bill amendment). One problem - the republicans could shoot themselves in the foot and not be able to pass a budget in the house because or Ryan’s opposition to Trump. If that happens the government runs on continuing resolutions (like when the dems controlled congress and never passed a budget) and the amendment and the spending bill dies? – I don’t know.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I’m praying this thing gets passed (the agriculture spending bill amendment). One problem - the republicans could shoot themselves in the foot and not be able to pass a budget in the house because or Ryan’s opposition to Trump. If that happens the government runs on continuing resolutions (like when the dems controlled congress and never passed a budget) and the amendment and the spending bill dies? – I don’t know.
Ryan would have more incentive to pass a budget if he doesn't like Trump.

Reactions: LoriP1702

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Not sure. I do know that being passed out of the committee, it now sets it up to be voted on by the House and Senate. Not sure if it is put directly into the budget.....

Anyone? Help?

Yes, it was attached to the Agriculture Appropriations Bill.

As it's part of all Agricultural spending, easier to hide the amendment there and more chance of passage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robino1

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Yes, it was attached to the Agriculture Appropriations Bill and that bill has since passed the House. All it needs now is the Senate's approval, and of course the presidential signature.

As it's part of all Agricultural spending, easier to hide the amendment there and more chance of passage.
I didn't realize it already passed the House :D
Crossing fingers for the Senate.

Thank you Stormy!!!! :D

Reactions: StormFinch

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Yes, it was attached to the Agriculture Appropriations Bill and that bill has since passed the House. All it needs now is the Senate's approval, and of course the presidential signature.

I'm not certain it has passed the house. Still looking. It did pass committee as follows (dee page 3)...

http://appropriations.house.gov/upl...iculture_-_full_committee_roll_call_votes.pdf

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
The way I look at it is this, Dems, Repubs, just two sides of the same coin. Republicans though are by and large the people we can get to support vaping. Cole is republican, there are 51 current co-sponsors of HR 2058, all republican, the Cole-Bishop Amendment passed the committee 31 - 19: 1 republican and 18 democrats voted against it. Like the republican candidate or not, if they don't win, we're back to the status quo for the next 4 years. And, if you've learned ANYTHING from vaping, it should be not to trust mainstream media to tell you what to think. Take some time and do some research before you judge them.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
With regards to smoker's rights and vaping issues, not sure at all where Trump stands until he makes statements on them. I'll wait and see. He's a wildcard. Hillary of course is obvious, she's a big government big corporation-sponsored lackey who will relish in expanding federal agencies.

When it comes to smokers rights and the party that at least would give vaping a chance, the Republicans are much more likely to hear it out than the Democrats with Hillary, trust me on that.

Reactions: Bronze

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I'm not certain it has passed the house. Still looking. It did pass committee as follows (dee page 3)...

http://appropriations.house.gov/upl...iculture_-_full_committee_roll_call_votes.pdf

I'm looking, the person that reported it might have gotten confused since stuff done in 2016 is actually marked for 2017. Boy, this stuff is always such a mess.

Alright, I'll change my above post to reflect that it hasn't passed the House yet. That's what I get for not confirming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robino1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread