ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......

Michelle43

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
North Dakota
I have a little rant about this, but before I get into it I do have to say thank you for help spreading the word. I donated to YeleHaiti yesterday.

Ok Rant:
I hardly see the US as "rushing" troops. I mean how far is Haiti by ship from Florida, a few hours? I think the Navy should have had some ships there Tuesday night if not yesterday morning.

I also would like to see some of the Cruise lines bite the bullet and cancel cruises for the next few weeks and take their ships there and house the displaced citizens so they are not sleeping in the disease infested streets.

This is a natural catastrophe that far exceeds anything we have seen on American soil and the loss of life is devastating. I shudder to think that they have evacuated American citizens and just left the Haitians there, they need to be evacuated too. The diseases from rotting corpses could kill thousands of people. I wish our government could look past where someone is from and just help out all of the humans that need critical assistance.

I know we are helping, but I can just think of so much MORE that could be done.

Rant over, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

drumkicks

Jan 7, 2010
ny
I also would like to see some of the Cruise lines bite the bullet and cancel cruises for the next few weeks and take their ships there and house the displaced citizens so they are not sleeping in the disease infested streets.

My 2 cents:
That would be great if a business wanted to do that! But, it will never happen:( If they are public companies they actually have a legitimate duty to their stock holders to make money and not donate it. If they are private they probably don't have the discipline to do something like that. In either case I doubt their balance sheet allowed them to extend like that.

The government could pay the cruise ships to go down there, and essentially subsidize all the cost of running it, but I think there must be much better/more efficient solutions.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
I have a little rant about this, but before I get into it I do have to say thank you for help spreading the word. I donated to YeleHaiti yesterday.

Ok Rant:
I hardly see the US as "rushing" troops. I mean how far is Haiti by ship from Florida, a few hours? I think the Navy should have had some ships there Tuesday night if not yesterday morning.

"The USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier will arrive on Thursday. The USS Bataan, carrying a marine expeditionary unit, is also on its way."

[Counter Rant]

Umm - you realize a single AC packs more military might than all but a couple of the largest countries in the world's ENTIRE military, right? That a single aircraft carrier is the largest force-projection entity on earth, right? That a single aircraft carrier could overthrow most any country on earth in a few days or make it cease to exist entirely in a few hours - if you took the leash off - right?

We sent the very best. We didn't send a couple little RIB's from Florida. We didn't send a couple little Coast Guard cutters that would stand off and pick their noses and maybe fly a short-range sortie or two with a Dolphin looking at the mess saying "wow - sucks to be them"

No - we sent a FLOATING CITY. A floating city with the most advanced medical care, search and rescue, and perimeter defense on earth.

Then we loaded-up a Marine contingent to put boots on the ground.

Now, if you understand ANYTHING about such vast operations you understand that the single most critical factor is supply-line.

You see, if I were a Marine being kicked off on the shore of some gawdforsaken rat-hole of a umpteeth-world country (and that's pre-earthquake), I think I'd probably wanna know I had a supply line feeding me, watching my back, and ready to render any form of aid necessary.

Imagine digging up the city of San Diego [well, the bits that aren't also a rat-hole], towing it out to Haiti and dropping it a few miles off shore... There ya go.

Grrr.

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
Yep we are sending the best and the brightest on this mission of planetary aid. You might not think that its a lot. Just like Adren. said what the US is sending will make a huge impacted. Obama isn't playing around with this. He's going to do what ever he can to make sure those people get the treatment they need and as fast as that floating city can get there. And try to help rebuild what ever hope they have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread