HANGING BY A THREAD ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I do wonder whether a lot of new vapers, or even long term vapers, can continue to vape, "and stay off the smokes", if the way they vape simply doesn't work.

Ever since i started if i didn't get satisfaction i'd have another draw. It didn't take me long to develop my vaping routine of two draws. Unlike smoking, where i'd take a "single" puff, vaping doesn't really cut it with one puff. I could try that right now................................Nothing !!!. It's just like a brief breath of air, it's very disappointing. The coil doesn't have a chance to get hot enough. I could turn up the power but then i'd have a vape which is too hot for me, which i don't like, and i'd probably burn the wick and get a dry hit.

Two draws/puffs works. The first puff, of about two seconds or so, heats up the coil. The second puff (following directly after the first with the power button still pressed), again, for just over two seconds, hits the nail directly on the head. I get a very satisfying throat hit, which is exactly what i want.

I use a five wrap 29g coil with an inner diameter of 2mm, 11.5 watts, and 24mg's of nicotine. My e liquid is 75% VG - 25%PG, MTL.

I'd imagine if i were to vape with a single draw method i'd expect to go back to tobacco in no time at all. It just wouldn't work for me and all my effort to quit smoking would be hanging by a thread, and best case i'd be a dual user.

I've been vaping this same way for six or seven years (i haven't been counting the days) with complete success.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I have been one that never cared about throat hit. I can take it or leave it. So a single draw works for me, but after just now trying your technique I can see how that could be effective for someone that does enjoy a good throat hit.

This is the wonders of vaping, there are so many methods and approaches that one can take, it allows someone to fully customize the experience to fit their needs. If a new user is adventurous enough, and willing to put some effort into it, their chances of kicking the cigarette habit is pretty high.

I have been smoke free for over a year now, and after finally finding my perfered set up I stopped smoking in around a week and never looked back. (I tried vaping a few times over the years, but the gear was not my style and I could not buy anything else locally and I did not know enough to comfortably buy online so gave up until my style stuff was avaliable)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There is no one way or only one correct of vaping. It's the way of vaping that works best for you that matters. Glad you found yours and didn't give up. But just like any other way to stop smoking it doesn't work for everyone and each person needs to find the best way for them. There's no doubt some give up on vaping because it's either a hassle or doesn't control their desire for a cigarette. To those unsuccessful with vaping only wish good luck with whatever way they find that works for them.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Vaping works for some, nor so much for others, same as other cessation products. It will seldom work for those that aren't willing to exert some willpower. I don’t like to hear vaping touted as a cure...there is no cure for addiction. The are however useful crutches and some effort at willpower is necessary for any of them to work.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
There are many things you can do to get a real hit: use the preheat function, have a more PG-laden liquid, have more nic in it, have coolada in it...

Infact, I think it would be really bad if vaping gave you the same "instant satisfaction" as smoking tobacco, because it would increase the actual addictive potency of vaping. That's not advisable. Having the possibilities listed above, it should be possible for anyone to re-route his habits in a manner that avoids the mental pressure that is so typical for tobacco addiction.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I use a five wrap 29g coil with an inner diameter of 2mm, 11.5 watts, and 24mg's of nicotine. My e liquid is 75% VG - 25%PG, MTL.

That style of vaping, the first couple times I tried, wasn't enough to get me to quit cigarettes at all.

Different things work for different people.

If I could give myself advice, and if the technology existed back then, i'd tell myself to try TC vaping with a single coil fused/stapled in the 0.15 ohm range. It's not my preferred vape now, but I know it's what would convince me that I could quit.

Some people need throat hit, others need warmth. What I needed was a lung full of thick clouds.

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
Good for you. Not smoking is the thing. After 6 years of vaping I sometimes smell cig smoke and so wish I was smoking that cig! Other times it smells just awful. You are smart to do the high nic. I still use 20mg/ml after all these years. It has never been about “quitting “ for me...just not smoking is good enough. Stay strong and vape as much as you need to not smoke. Your second puff technique is awesome. It works well for me too.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I do wonder whether a lot of new vapers, or even long term vapers, can continue to vape, "and stay off the smokes", if the way they vape simply doesn't work.

Ever since i started if i didn't get satisfaction i'd have another draw. It didn't take me long to develop my vaping routine of two draws. Unlike smoking, where i'd take a "single" puff, vaping doesn't really cut it with one puff. I could try that right now................................Nothing !!!. It's just like a brief breath of air, it's very disappointing. The coil doesn't have a chance to get hot enough. I could turn up the power but then i'd have a vape which is too hot for me, which i don't like, and i'd probably burn the wick and get a dry hit.

Two draws/puffs works. The first puff, of about two seconds or so, heats up the coil. The second puff (following directly after the first with the power button still pressed), again, for just over two seconds, hits the nail directly on the head. I get a very satisfying throat hit, which is exactly what i want.

I'd imagine if i were to vape with a single draw method i'd expect to go back to tobacco in no time at all. It just wouldn't work for me and all my effort to quit smoking would be hanging by a thread, and best case i'd be a dual user.

I've been vaping this same way for six or seven years (i haven't been counting the days) with complete success.
We are kind of close in vaping style with single coil rtas and over 20mg nic, but perhaps I enjoy a bit more heat . I can enjoy the vape with one single hit because I do vape about twice your wattage but with 6 wraps of 26g. I don't think I could enjoy 22 watts with just 5 wraps of 29g, but with a slightly thicker wire and slightly bigger ID, the coil heats very efficient for a one hit method. Like you , everyone must find what works for them and that's what's awesome about rebuildables!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Swoop03

Vaping Yinzer
Sep 28, 2018
Southwest PA, USA, Earth
I started with crappy mtls and it helped me slow the cigs down but not quit. When I started vaping I wasnt privy to the market or where to buy what, there were no b&m shops dedicated to vapes either. I had to learn on my own. I switched to direct lung .2-.4 ohm builds over time.

Lately I've been using my obs nano engine with a .4 fused n80 clapton at 20w with the airflow about closed off in a halfhearted attempt at mtl. I've been considering jumping back into it now that I know what is what.

Sometimes i want a dense cloud of flavor, others like today I want the smooth rich draw and earthy flavor of some Virginia tobacco. I've had a few relapses from this in the last. I feel if I had a good setup similar to yours with a tobacco juice to my liking I would grab it instead of smokes at the gas station. To each their own though, ever day you dont smoke is a win for you, and the community. Every ciggarette that isn't sold to us is a win.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Vaping works for some, nor so much for others, same as other cessation products. It will seldom work for those that aren't willing to exert some willpower. I don’t like to hear vaping touted as a cure...there is no cure for addiction. The are however useful crutches and some effort at willpower is necessary for any of them to work.

An interesting point "will power". It's a 50 - 50 deal. Will power can tell you to do one thing, and then will power can tell you to do the exact opposite five minutes later.

So, for me, i'm sorry to say that will power will never work.

Routine, routine is what works for me. Once i have a handle on something it's because of a routine. Routine is like a religion to me.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Infact, I think it would be really bad if vaping gave you the same "instant satisfaction" as smoking tobacco, because it would increase the actual addictive potency of vaping. That's not advisable. Having the possibilities listed above, it should be possible for anyone to re-route his habits in a manner that avoids the mental pressure that is so typical for tobacco addiction.

Vaping is a healthier alternative which i have no intention of giving up.

Some people see vaping as the same as patches or gum and is something a user will eventually quit. And i hope they succeed too.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
That style of vaping, the first couple times I tried, wasn't enough to get me to quit cigarettes at all.

Different things work for different people.

If I could give myself advice, and if the technology existed back then, i'd tell myself to try TC vaping with a single coil fused/stapled in the 0.15 ohm range. It's not my preferred vape now, but I know it's what would convince me that I could quit.

Some people need throat hit, others need warmth. What I needed was a lung full of thick clouds.

I recently read a thread about a guy who seems to be struggling with dual use. Tried the MTL thing and didn't work at all. Now DTL's but is still smoking. What would you say to that guy ?.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Good for you. Not smoking is the thing. After 6 years of vaping I sometimes smell cig smoke and so wish I was smoking that cig! Other times it smells just awful. You are smart to do the high nic. I still use 20mg/ml after all these years. It has never been about “quitting “ for me...just not smoking is good enough. Stay strong and vape as much as you need to not smoke. Your second puff technique is awesome. It works well for me too.

i am happy to hear it !.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I recently read a thread about a guy who seems to be struggling with dual use. Tried the MTL thing and didn't work at all. Now DTL's but is still smoking. What would you say to that guy ?.

I would ask him if he's serious about wanting to quit smoking.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
We are kind of close in vaping style with single coil rtas and over 20mg nic, but perhaps I enjoy a bit more heat . I can enjoy the vape with one single hit because I do vape about twice your wattage but with 6 wraps of 26g. I don't think I could enjoy 22 watts with just 5 wraps of 29g, but with a slightly thicker wire and slightly bigger ID, the coil heats very efficient for a one hit method. Like you , everyone must find what works for them and that's what's awesome about rebuildables!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

And that's the thing isn't it. I read threads where it appears people are just pulling their hair out because of failure to quit smokes. There are just so many variables to play with i find it so frustrating that some can't find their sweet spot. So i guess they just haven't explored the possibilities thoroughly enough.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I started with crappy mtls and it helped me slow the cigs down but not quit. When I started vaping I wasnt privy to the market or where to buy what, there were no b&m shops dedicated to vapes either. I had to learn on my own. I switched to direct lung .2-.4 ohm builds over time.

Lately I've been using my obs nano engine with a .4 fused n80 clapton at 20w with the airflow about closed off in a halfhearted attempt at mtl. I've been considering jumping back into it now that I know what is what.

Sometimes i want a dense cloud of flavor, others like today I want the smooth rich draw and earthy flavor of some Virginia tobacco. I've had a few relapses from this in the last. I feel if I had a good setup similar to yours with a tobacco juice to my liking I would grab it instead of smokes at the gas station. To each their own though, ever day you dont smoke is a win for you, and the community. Every ciggarette that isn't sold to us is a win.

One day i was attempting to make a juice which tasted like a bounty bar. Don't know if you know what a bounty bar is. Just in case it's sweetened coconut covered in chocolate.

So anyway i mixed coconut with what i had at the time which was choc fudge brownie. Didn't have have any sweetener so vaped it as it was. Been vaping it ever since. That was ages ago, months and months, probably over a year, year and a half, maybe longer. I rotate several MTL tanks and can't wait for it to come round again. It's like if i ever needed a smoke this flavour scratches that itch, like a safety net or something.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Will power is a funny thing . A wise old man once gave me a way to put my will power to the test. He said:
Boy, go over to the drug store and buy 2 boxes of exlax. Eat both boxes and get in the car. Drive to Florida and use your "will power" to keep from pulling over.

That was the last time I bragged about my will power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread