Hardened Ni200

Status
Not open for further replies.

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Hi guys.. The Mesh Company recently launched the 'hardened' Ni200 wires. I just got a roll and it is significantly easier to coil than the regular Ni200.
But I did notice for the same number of coils the resistance is slightly lower..

Not affiliated to the company in any way, just thought I share some new info..

Reactions: Mad Scientist

SontavaMe

Apr 9, 2015
Lower resistance or higher? 'Hardened' supposes it's alloyed with a harder metal and therefore would make it not Nichrome200 but, something else. I've been using Nichrome 80 which is harder but, doesn't work for temperature sensing since it's Ohms rating is not low enough.

I visited 'The vape Mesh Company' online. Is this your place? They have a 'hard drawn' versus a 'soft' finish. The hard drawn does look harder ... and they offer tech specs on their process. Wow! You've found something here. I'm going in for a closer look-see.

Thank you Chia.

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Nah not my place.. Got my kanthal wires from them a couple of times.. Lots cheaper and more choices too.. They have twisted wires too ! ;)

Anyway I did my 'soft' Ni200 about 3/4 wraps id 2.5 and the resistance reads 0.1 or something close.. Now with the 'hardened' I get 0.07.. Same set up.

are you sure you aren't losing a turn as it springs out off the drill bit or whatever. I have had the opposite experience in that the coil diameter ends up being larger than the mandrel upon which I a wrapping it due to this springiness....

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Not sure because I don't have normal nickel anymore but my builds always read lower than what steam engine predicts... Always.

A 10 wrap of tempered 30g ni 200 on a 2.4mm mandrel (spaced) gives me 0.14 on my dna 40 while steam engine predicts 0.17-0.18

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Not sure because I don't have normal nickel anymore but my builds always read lower than what steam engine predicts... Always.

A 10 wrap of tempered 30g ni 200 on a 2.4mm mandrel (spaced) gives me 0.14 on my dna 40 while steam engine predicts 0.17-0.18

Regards
Tony

I'll check for this with my hardened wire. Might be that the stated guage is wrong for some reason. Cant be because its stretched (and thus smaller diameter) since that would have the opposite effect! Its weird. Stay tuned. Im going to sleep now..lol!

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I'll check for this with my hardened wire. Might be that the stated guage is wrong for some reason. Cant be because its stretched (and thus smaller diameter) since that would have the opposite effect! Its weird. Stay tuned. Im going to sleep now..lol!
Thx.

I don't think it's the wire diameter. It's definitely 28g and 30g but if you could check your resistance I would appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure it's the wire and not the board because the error multiplies as I go bigger and bigger. If it were the board the error should be sort of static I think.

I also don't believe it's a connection issue because that would drive the resistance up and never down.

Regards
Tony

Reactions: Mattj317

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
tchavel:
You could just check the resistance of a length of your wire. Take a meter of the 30 gauge and it should have 1.89 ohms resistance. the 28 gauge should be 1.19 ohms. You don't have to make a coil; you don't even have to cut the wire. Just connect 1 measured meter across your volt/ohmmeter. Or, you could connect each end to the posts on an atomizer and use an atomizer ohm meter. Measuring that great a length reduces measurement errors.
I got these values from steam engine using the advanced settings. You could use other sources such as this one: http://resistancewire.com/uploads/page/ADT2001_12_17_NI200_MET.pdf
to check the resistance of your wire.
If your resistance is off, then something is wrong with the wire alloy or the diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread