Missing safety feature for Temp Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Hi guys..
Should there be a safety cutoff for the dna 40 mods when in temp mode? As we all know it uses different wire(ni200) as oppose to khantel.
When there is a mid-reading on the resistance due to loose contacts it usually jumps back the vv mode and continues to fire the coil.. But when we fire ni200 wire in regular mode it goes into high heat, giving off foul vapor and I read somewhere possibly toxic vapor as well.. For a usually lung hitter I can't tell till too late;(
And it doesn't help that some mods the display are at the side or bottom, where u can't read when vaping..
So the question is when in TC mode shouldn't it stops when it detects irregularities in resistance reading, rather than continues in vv mode?

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi guys..
Should there be a safety cutoff for the DNA 40 mods when in temp mode? As we all know it uses different wire(ni200) as oppose to khantel.
When there is a mid-reading on the resistance due to loose contacts it usually jumps back the vv mode and continues to fire the coil.. But when we fire ni200 wire in regular mode it goes into high heat, giving off foul vapor and I read somewhere possibly toxic vapor as well.. For a usually lung hitter I can't tell till too late;(
And it doesn't help that some mods the display are at the side or bottom, where u can't read when vaping..
So the question is when in TC mode shouldn't it stops when it detects irregularities in resistance reading, rather than continues in vv mode?

Sounds like a very unsafe behaviour to switch from tc mode to vv mode by itself.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Sounds like a very unsafe behaviour to switch from tc mode to vv mode by itself.
You're right! And I never really considered it because whenever I build, I build on an ohm meter. Then, I fire it on the mod while looking at the screen to compare the reading and to make sure it fires. If a build were to jump out of tc, I'd either fix or pull the build. I haven't had a build fail that was working...yet. Never really thought about it. It's a good question and a potential problem.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise

Switching out is a safety feature. Since temeperature cannot be detected in kanthal, preheat is not safe.

As for the OP, it hasn't been much of a concern in practice. People get tc to vw switching all the time, and it doesn't melt down.

Last edited:

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Switching out is a safety feature. Since temeperature cannot be detected in kanthal, preheat is not safe.

As for the OP, it hasn't been much of a concern in practice. People get tc to vw switching all the time, and it doesn't melt down.

All the time? Are we suppose to even vape with nickel at say 15W? Happened to me a few times and it was pretty nasty.. ;(
Guys pls dun get me wrong, I m not ranting about the dna40s' flaw.. I m just thinking aloud that since safe vaping is rather the big thing in the design, why not take it 1 step further? It's like the 10 or 15 seconds cutoff for the switch.. It's for added safety.. Why not this? Especially when nickel is not suppose to handle high wattages.. At least not for vaping anyway..

Lastly i need to add is that the situation where it happens is probably 95% user error.. But all vapor are prone to a mistake here and there.. So why not a little more fail safe ?

Cheers guys ;)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

Switching MODE on it's own is definitely the opposite of a safety feature and instead is a hazard; you've got a low ohm nickel coil and the mod assumes INCORRECTLY it's a higher ohm kanthal coil and that causes a problem.

A simple error message would be the right/safe behaviour.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
All the time? Are we suppose to even vape with nickel at say 15W? Happened to me a few times and it was pretty nasty.. ;(
Guys pls dun get me wrong, I m not ranting about the dna40s' flaw.. I m just thinking aloud that since safe vaping is rather the big thing in the design, why not take it 1 step further? It's like the 10 or 15 seconds cutoff for the switch.. It's for added safety.. Why not this? Especially when nickel is not suppose to handle high wattages.. At least not for vaping anyway..

Lastly i need to add is that the situation where it happens is probably 95% user error.. But all vapor are prone to a mistake here and there.. So why not a little more fail safe ?

Cheers guys ;)

It is most definitely a bad choice; somebody tried to make the thing behave too smart; to make it dummy proof; instead it introduced a potential hazard to the user.

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Switching MODE on it's own is definitely the opposite of a safety feature and instead is a hazard; you've got a low ohm nickel coil and the mod assumes INCORRECTLY it's a higher ohm kanthal coil and that causes a problem.

Thanx buddy.. Just what I was trying to say.. You nail it ;)
I would think a simple add on tweak on the existing software is not that difficult.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA

No doubt. It's the definition of a hazard.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Hi guys..
Should there be a safety cutoff for the DNA 40 mods when in temp mode? As we all know it uses different wire(ni200) as oppose to khantel.

I would rather it worked somewhat vv mode then not at all.
If your builds are tight it will never switch out of TL mode, most attys need tune ups for nickel.
How do you use your DNA when firing Ni with no TL does not go into high heat, giving off foul vapor unless the watts are to high for the build.

Did I mentions if your builds are tight it will never switch out of TL mode.
Cheers.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
All the time? Are we suppose to even vape with nickel at say 15W?

Are you even serious with this? 15 watts?

It's like the 10 or 15 seconds cutoff for the switch.. It's for added safety.. Why not this? Especially when nickel is not suppose to handle high wattages.. At least not for vaping anyway.

No DNA has a time cutoff. You are totally clueless about nickel, and it seems about vaping in general. Bad thread, poor thinking, just all around fail.

Nickel does not stay the same resistance when fired.

Last edited:

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Are you even serious with this? 15 watts?

No DNA has a time cutoff. You are totally clueless about nickel, and it seems about vaping in general. Bad thread, poor thinking, just all around fail.

What's wrong about 15W? Too high? Too low? Pls explain.
I have never state the 10 -15 seconds cutoff comes from DNA chips. Pls read carefully. It is a safety feature in other VV devices like the Provari and such. And it is that.. A safety feature. Even if it is at 20s it is still a safety feature don't you think? I mean who the hell can inhale for 20s ?? Certainly not 95% of vapors.

I must state I m not technically incline towards resistance and such, but nickel does heats up much faster than kanthal at any given wattages. I myself have 3 good nickel builds in 3 different dna40 devices and they work flawless. But I did went thru a learning curve a while when figuring thing out. I m also sure not all vapor are successful 1st time and everytime when it comes to nickel builds.

There are times when unexpected variants can simply throw off the reading for a what you think is a perfect build. I am sure all these had been discussed to death already.

This is where my concerns lies..

Temperature Control is a user chosen mode. Nickel most probably had been used. But When it does not register should the chip jumps back to regular mode and fires nickel like it would kanthal? A simple search will tell you it is very likely hazardous to your health.
Sure anyone can say its user error.. Poor builds.. Etc etc.. And most of the time they are..
I would think many have misunderstand I am trashing DNA and the temp control. I am not. I m just saying a safety feature may be added to the already awesome software to make it even better.
Much like rev limiter and airbags in cars.. Just a safety feature guys, they won't save an idiot from crashing if he so wants, but they sure does save many from honest mistakes.
Sorry for the long post..

Cheers ;)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

Correct.

Ok, so that does not have something to do with switching MODE.
Maybe it has something to do with 'low ohm nickel coil' ?
It's not about the mod assuming INCORRECTLY.

So is that it? The "low ohm nickel coil" ? Is that what "Nickel does not stay the same resistance when fired" is a response to?

The reason for the "low ohm nickel coil" phrase is:
If you are in TC mode using nickel,
and your mod assumes that you are not using nickel and cleverly switches mode to vv mode
all of a sudden it puts out TOO MUCH VOLTAGE for your nickel coil.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
and your mod assumes that you are not using nickel and cleverly switches mode to vv mode
all of a sudden it puts out TOO MUCH VOLTAGE for your nickel coil.

why would it do that? it doesn't suddenly lose its mind. it puts out the correct amperage to get the correct wattage for the resistance.

in other words it behaves like any other PV

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
why would it do that? it doesn't suddenly lose its mind. it puts out the correct amperage to get the correct wattage for the resistance.

in other words it behaves like any other PV

If it switches from TC mode to vv mode on a 0.1 ohm nickel coil, and 3 volts, the amps works out to 30 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread