Harlingen,Texas ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
An expanded smoking ban and the addition of electronic cigarettes was announced Tuesday for first reading and comments on Wednesday. I scrambled to put something together,made a few calls,and prepared packets for each member
of the council and the Mayor. Most were there in support or opposition to an expanded smoking ban. Only a handful were there about the e-cig portion. I think most people did not even pay attention to that as it was barely mentioned in the newspaper.

It became apparent this had been arranged some time ago. In this small town of about 75000,representatives of the Heart ....,Cancer Society,Lung ....,a man from Austin who represents Smoke Free Texas and tobacco Free Kids, and other tearful people spoke--not about e-cigs but smoking. It became apparent to me this had been totally orchestrated and nothing could stop the ecig portion. Several of us expressed our opinions but were given very little time and were basically shut down. The e-cig portion didn"t even register with the majority of the people there. One Commissioner who is supportive told me this morning that most simply did not understand ecigs. We were totally railroaded by e-cigs being thrown in with this new smoking ban. The "health groups" didn"t even mention e-cigs. in their presentations--just how many people die from smoking,etc.,etc.

Texas vapors need to be prepared-VERY prepared. This is coming to a town near you--soon! The entire State is is going to be facing this soon--very soon.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Thank you for this important report and your insight. This crap is popping up all over the country including one locale that banned ecig's because they "looked" like smoking. There is big money moving behind the scenes that is pushing these local bans. And if everyone doesn't speak up LOUDLY, we will be squashed like a bug. And many, or most, being driven back into the lap of big tobacco.

And you're right, coming soon to your city.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
An expanded smoking ban and the addition of electronic cigarettes was announced Tuesday for first reading and comments on Wednesday. I scrambled to put something together,made a few calls,and prepared packets for each member
of the council and the Mayor. Most were there in support or opposition to an expanded smoking ban. Only a handful were there about the e-cig portion. I think most people did not even pay attention to that as it was barely mentioned in the newspaper.

It became apparent this had been arranged some time ago. In this small town of about 75000,representatives of the Heart ....,Cancer Society,Lung ....,a man from Austin who represents Smoke Free Texas and Tobacco Free Kids, and other tearful people spoke--not about e-cigs but smoking. It became apparent to me this had been totally orchestrated and nothing could stop the ecig portion. Several of us expressed our opinions but were given very little time and were basically shut down. The e-cig portion didn"t even register with the majority of the people there. One Commissioner who is supportive told me this morning that most simply did not understand ecigs. We were totally railroaded by e-cigs being thrown in with this new smoking ban. The "health groups" didn"t even mention e-cigs. in their presentations--just how many people die from smoking,etc.,etc.

Texas vapors need to be prepared-VERY prepared. This is coming to a town near you--soon! The entire State is is going to be facing this soon--very soon.
After the first Commission meeting,I began to lobby the Commissioners. Dr. Gilbert Ross was kind enough to send a letter to the Paper(it was never published) and a letter to the Mayor and Commissioners. I sent the Burstyn Report,the Italian Study and other scientific papers to City Hall for distribution to the Mayor and Commissioners. I visited at length with several of them. At the Commission Meeting this week,they revised the ban(for smokers) but were concerned about kids using the batteries and 0nicotine liquid to smoke .......... I thought we had the 3 votes necessary to remove e-cigs from the ban,but one went to the dark side and voted against us. The worst that happened was an employee of the Cancer Society spoke and said to beware of the Burstyn Report because the ecig companies paid to have the study done. This is disgraceful--Dr. Burstyns" reputation was besmirched by that statement. Since I had already spoken,I was unable to respond to that horrible accusation. The man who manages the e-cig store had alread misspoken by saying the study was sponsored by Drexel University. After the meeting,I told her she was wrong as was the owner of the e-cig store and perhaps she should check her facts before repeating that statement. Since this ordinance was revised,we will have one more shot at the next Commission Meeting. I will start again lobbying the Councilman. Please wish me luck--I need it.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
After the first Commission meeting,I began to lobby the Commissioners. Dr. Gilbert Ross was kind enough to send a letter to the Paper(it was never published) and a letter to the Mayor and Commissioners. I sent the Burstyn Report,the Italian Study and other scientific papers to City Hall for distribution to the Mayor and Commissioners. I visited at length with several of them. At the Commission Meeting this week,they revised the ban(for smokers) but were concerned about kids using the batteries and 0nicotine liquid to smoke .......... I thought we had the 3 votes necessary to remove e-cigs from the ban,but one went to the dark side and voted against us. The worst that happened was an employee of the Cancer Society spoke and said to beware of the Burstyn Report because the ecig companies paid to have the study done. This is disgraceful--Dr. Burstyns" reputation was besmirched by that statement. Since I had already spoken,I was unable to respond to that horrible accusation. The man who manages the e-cig store had alread misspoken by saying the study was sponsored by Drexel University. After the meeting,I told her she was wrong as was the owner of the e-cig store and perhaps she should check her facts before repeating that statement. Since this ordinance was revised,we will have one more shot at the next Commission Meeting. I will start again lobbying the Councilman. Please wish me luck--I need it.
The above mentioned substance is illegal and unprintable.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Luisa, try checking with We Are The Vaping Militia. They are handling the local Calls to Action now, in cooperation with CASAA. Maybe that can get some help to you?
Thanks. I am afraid the smoke shop guy made a fatal error. He said he supported a ban on e-cigs at grocery stores and restaurants because he would not like to smell the vapor at a restaurant himself That only leaves an opening to include e-cigs in this ban.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Now how do I diffuse the comment from the DFW Vapor store manager in which he states he supports a ban on e-cigs in stores,grocery stores,and restaurants because he would not like to eat around a bunch of vapors. I do not know how to fight such stupidity from someone whose salary is derived from selling e-cig products? Being the manager of a Vape Store and making such a statement just hands an enormous amount of ammunition to the opposition.

What would anyone on this forum do in this situation? How can I lobby Commissioners with this cloud over the entire issue?

I should imagine his comments will be quoted by all the ANTZ when they speak at the final vote meeting.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Now how do I diffuse the comment from the DFW Vapor store manager in which he states he supports a ban on e-cigs in stores,grocery stores,and restaurants because he would not like to eat around a bunch of vapors. I do not know how to fight such stupidity from someone whose salary is derived from selling e-cig products? Being the manager of a Vape Store and making such a statement just hands an enormous amount of ammunition to the opposition.

What would anyone on this forum do in this situation? How can I lobby Commissioners with this cloud over the entire issue?

I should imagine his comments will be quoted by all the ANTZ when they speak at the final vote meeting.
Please,if anyone has suggestions about handling this situation,please offer your advise. This should never have happened. I am trying to pull this out and have e-cigs removed from the ban. I still cannot believe the DFW Vapor store manager said that at the Commisioners Meeting with a full house of ANTZ. I do not remember a situation like this ever happening and I have been involved with the e-cig movement over 4 years.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
If you are on FB, try this group that is affiliated with Vaping Militia:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasVapersAdvocacy/
I have visited with this group,but they seem to think I am a "newbee". This is a situation that I have never heard happening before. I do not know how to begin again with lobbying the Commission with that stupid comment from the DFW store manager. How WILL I overcome this? I have one consumer helping me and he is a new vapor. I encouraged him to stop smoking and try vaping. His wife is very grateful and they both have been wonderful in helping to lobby. I need advice on the most productive way to proceed. This has been difficult enough without someone selling vaping products undoing everything that has been done to prevent a ban in this city. If I knew what step to take next,I would do that. I just need practical advice to enable me to overcome his 2 damaging comments. Please help.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I have visited with this group,but they seem to think I am a "newbee". This is a situation that I have never heard happening before. I do not know how to begin again with lobbying the Commission with that stupid comment from the DFW store manager. How WILL I overcome this? I have one consumer helping me and he is a new vapor. I encouraged him to stop smoking and try vaping. His wife is very grateful and they both have been wonderful in helping to lobby. I need advice on the most productive way to proceed. This has been difficult enough without someone selling vaping products undoing everything that has been done to prevent a ban in this city. If I knew what step to take next,I would do that. I just need practical advice to enable me to overcome his 2 damaging comments. Please help.
The Vaping Militia has come to my rescue. I am so grateful to them and the help they will be giving me. They have been wonderful. THANK YOU Vaping Militia.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
The Vaping Militia has come to my rescue. I am so grateful to them and the help they will be giving me. They have been wonderful. THANK YOU Vaping Militia.
I know it is difficult to donate to everything,but think about paying the $30.00 to join the Vaping Militia. They are working very hard for us at a local level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread