Harsh Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mactrekr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
Tombstone, Arizona
So, I've run into a problem with juice being too harsh. Here's what we're working with.

Capella and FA flavorings
PG/VG ordered from eliquidmart.com
NIC 100%VG @100mg/ml ordered from eliquidmart.com

So long as I don't mix in ANY NIC, my juices are smooth as butter, no throat burn, mild throat hit, the moment I mix it up to even 6mg/ml it gets harsh, like make you cough kind of harsh.

I've tried adjusting the VG/PG ratio, from 100%vg to 50/50. Tried increasing and reducing the concentration of flavors.
Gone sweet (sucralose powder from eliquidmart.com) and unsweetened.

I'm at a loss. Anyone have any similar experience?

I ordered the 100mg/ml NIC for economical purposes, but I'm thinking it may have something to do with the concentration.

I use ejuicemeup calc and am very precise with my measurements, using a syringe.

Any input appreciated.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Sounds like the NIC is the issue and not the flavoring. Mix up just the VG/PG (no flavoring) and vape that and if it's not harsh then add the NIC and try that. If it's harsh you have the answer (Bad NIC).

It would also help if you give the exact measurments your using for your base. You may be calculating your NIC incorrectly.

for a 50/50, 6mg, 10ml base with no flavoring in concideration it should be

.6ml NIC
4.4ml pg
5ml vg

But you must also take into concideration the PG based flavoring. It is also figured into the total PG concentration.

If your looking for nutural flavored less harsh NIC look at vaperstek NIC

http://www.vaperstek.org/120-ml/

Last edited:

mactrekr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
Tombstone, Arizona
did you try vaping the nic unflavoured?

If I read you correctly, you want me to try vaping the nic straight? It's 100mg/ml. I think that might kill me.

Like I said, I use the ejuicemeup calculator. I don't memorize what the exact quantities are, but your first response sounds about right except if my nic base is 100% vg it should be 5ml PG, 4.4 VG and .6 nic base. to get 50/50. ( I think)

Moneyball

Oct 9, 2014
STL
Did you let it steep? What setup are you using?

When a juice gets harsh, to me it is usually too much flavoring. In your case, maybe you should just cut down to 3mg of nicotine.

I've had times where I put the juice on the shaker immediately after making, and then vape it... tasted great... an hour later gets a bit harsh. Even after steeping it would be pretty harsh. The problem is solved when I add less flavoring.

Throat hit is usually caused by nicotine itself... not PG or VG. What % of flavoring are you using? And what flavoring specifically?

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
If I read you correctly, you want me to try vaping the nic straight? It's 100mg/ml. I think that might kill me.

Like I said, I use the ejuicemeup calculator. I don't memorize what the exact quantities are, but your first response sounds about right except if my nic base is 100% vg it should be 5ml PG, 4.4 VG and .6 nic base. to get 50/50. ( I think)

ah no ... if I read you correct ... you already know how to mix a 6mg nic base.

I was asking if you had tried to eliminate the nic base as causing the harshness.

sorry if you thought I was telling you to vape 100mg nicotine as a solution to your harsh vape :blink:

mactrekr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
Tombstone, Arizona
ah no ... if I read you correct ... you already know how to mix a 6mg nic base.

I was asking if you had tried to eliminate the nic base as causing the harshness.

sorry if you thought I was telling you to vape 100mg nicotine as a solution to your harsh vape :blink:

Just messing with you. I knew what you meant, the wording just struck me as humorous.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Just messing with you. I knew what you meant, the wording just struck me as humorous.

No problem Mac ... seriously though, the VT nicotine is a game changer.

Please post back your results ... I tossed all my DIY ADVs when I discovered VT.

I taste pepper in all nic except VT and 5Pawns.

Cheers

Sent via iPhone

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
So, I've run into a problem with juice being too harsh.

To the original poster: If you are not sure what brand nic works for you, I suggest that you buy small bottles of nic from as many different vendors as you can and find your go-to nicotine, before stocking up. Just because people on here say that it is good does not mean that it will taste/feel good to YOU, which is all that matters here.
{as it is with flavorings, taste is very subjective} :2c:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Most NIC tastes peppery with the exception of the Vaperstek NIC in fact to me VP also has that distinctive NIC peppery taste but is by far milder then the rest. The problem is that some venders have severe pepper taste and others are milder. So the answer from Johnnydill is right on point. You need to find the vender with the NIC that's right for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread