Has anyone else seen these reports or tried to search like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epluribus_vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I was doing some research today, and decided the best way to get information on the ingredients of eliquid was to disassociate "e-cigarettes" from the searches to get unbiased reviews.

I just did a simple: 'filetype[colon]pdf propylene glycol'search in google (thought process was that PDFs would more likely be studies than advertisements or news stories). The results had two interesting reports.

One was titled "NTP-CERHR Monograph on the Potential Human Reproductive and Developmental Effects of Propylene Glycol" and had very good results on the safe nature of PG.

The other was "Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol: Health Information Summary" from 2006 which also looked like promising news on PG.

I hope this isn't a repeat (I did search the forum to see if these reports were already on here and didn't find them), but wanted to mainly suggest doing homework and getting better results by researching ingredients apart from eliquid and also say that I found doing the filetype[colon]pdf function of google returns more reports than biased reports/news stories (for either side).

Last edited:

cluster

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
copy/paste of some googling i did for another thread:

Totally Wicked e-liquid. It's exactly the same flavor list (plus lorann and decadent vapors) as Dekang so i assume it is it. So this should apply to most of the e-liquid that we all buy.

18mg/ml:

1. Tobacco essential oil <5%
2. Tobacco leaf oil <5%
3. Nicotine (from tobacco leaf) <3%
4. 2,3,5-Trimethylpyrazine <1%
5. 2,3,5,6-Tetramethylpyrazine <1%
6. 2,5-Dimethylpyrazine <1%
7. 2-Acetypyrazine <1%
8. 2-Methyl butyic acid <1%
9. Terpineol <1%
10. Ethyl maltol <1%
11. Guaiacol <2%
12. Acetyl pyridine <2%
13. Octalactone(gamma) <1%
14. Pure water <10%
15. Propylene Glycol >65%
16. Glycerol <20%

1, 2, 3, 14, 15, 16 are all well known from us by now

4, 5, 6, 7 are flavors with possibly medical properties
Pyrazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8 is a strong aroma (flavor highly variable depending on suppliers, see below)
2-methyl butyric acid 116-53-0

9 is a "naturally occurring monoterpene alcohol that has been isolated from a variety of sources such as cajuput oil, pine oil, and petitgrain oil"
Terpineol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10 A chemical that "has a sweet odor that can be described as caramalized sugar and cooked fruit. It is an important flavourant for the food, beverage, and fragrance industry"
Ethyl maltol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11 Is a "colourless aromatic oil is derived from guaiacum or wood creosote. Samples darken upon exposure to air and light. Guaiacol is present in wood smoke, resulting from the pyrolysis of lignin. Roasted coffee also contains the compound, which contributes to the flavor of the coffee."
Guaiacol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12 Is "used in the creation and/or manufacturing of fragrance and flavor concentrates of all types." main odor type: popcorn
2-acetyl pyridine 1122-62-9

13 Is "used in the creation and/or manufacturing of fragrance and flavor concentrates of all types." Main odor type: coconut
gamma-octalactone

Some of them are classified as irritating but all have a safe toxicity profile.

valeriekee6368

Moved On
Dec 5, 2009
Tiong Bahru!!!!
  • Deleted by PTJD
  • Reason: spam

cluster

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Yes VG seems very very similar to PG (the latter can be obtained from the former) anyway. I figure that the companies who promote VG by saying PG is bad, actually do it to gain some hype by making PG looks worse than it is, without any valid reason. As i see it us early adopters are "hype sensitive" people so i guess it makes good economic sense for them to do so :p

Wikipedia has also a list of "recipes" for e-liquid:

Electronic cigarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread