Has vaping lost way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Full Disclosure: there is no question in my mind that without vaping I would still be smoking. Thankfully it has been 2.5 years since my last analog.
This technology saved me from that toxic invention.
As I sit with my dna paranormal 250c with a lovely Zeus RTA topper I have no doubt benefited from up grading and discovery more and more about producing a better vape for myself.
Forums such as this are invaluable for a vapers journey.

So I ask, has vape culture and vape companies lost their focus: getting smokers to switch to healthy alternatives? If it has why? How can it be fixed?
If it hasn't what is working?
I fear that we the vapers are so enamored with our newest purchase that we may have forgotten that most folks think we are just shills for big tobacco.
We aren't. In fact most here despise cigarette companies for the years of addicted torture they put us through or we where willing to go through for lack of choice.
Has our movement toward a healthier alternative lost its momentum?

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
First of all, transitioning from smoking to vaping is only a small part. For a great number of people it also is a very short part, for me it was switching from one day to the other and from then on it was vaping.
Vaping is its own thing for people who have completely switched and naturally they're going to explore it and find what they like best.

I also don't agree that vaping has lost momentum, it's growing faster than ever with more and better devices for smokers to switch then there were when I switched almost 5 years ago.
graph-48_large.jpg

Talking of DNA, Lost Vape will shortly release a small pod system with a specially made evolv chip that can do Replay, they're very well aware (both evolv and LV) that ever better devices for switchers are needed.

I think that as vapers we don't see much of that segment in our daily lives because we already switched and don't seek out information on such devices.

The only big damper on the movement are regulations and pending regulations governments enact together with misleading information spread by the press. Despite this vaping is growing quickly.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
First of all, transitioning from smoking to vaping is only a small part. For a great number of people it also is a very short part, for me it was switching from one day to the other and from then on it was vaping.
Vaping is its own thing for people who have completely switched and naturally they're going to explore it and find what they like best.

I also don't agree that vaping has lost momentum, it's growing faster than ever with more and better devices for smokers to switch then there were when I switched almost 5 years ago.
graph-48_large.jpg

Talking of DNA, Lost Vape will shortly release a small pod system with a specially made evolv chip that can do Replay, they're very well aware (both evolv and LV) that ever better devices for switchers are needed.

I think that as vapers we don't see much of that segment in our daily lives because we already switched and don't seek out information on such devices.

The only big damper on the movement are regulations and pending regulations governments enact together with misleading information spread by the press. Despite this vaping is growing quickly.
I couldn't agree more. Outstanding input

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
As you become a seasoned vaper vaping just is. You discover early on that finding something that works for you to quit smoking is of no interest to those smokers not ready or don't want to try to quit. Like cigarettes vaping is an integral part of everyday life for most people. Most people that vape aren't interested in the hobby or collecting side of it. They don't join forums to talk about vaping. They simply vape to not smoke.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I don't think anyone needs to be tortured with little flavor, poor battery life and dry hits. In fact I cleaned up some of my old stuff and am amazed I was able to quit with it.

Everyone wants to push low power MTL on newbies but I know someone who found no joy until I set him up with a high power sub-Ω MTL so he could puff short like a cigarette not long and slow like I had to learn to do.

The only real problem I see is newbies getting a mod that does everything (good so they don't have to buy a completely new set up when something doesn't suit them) and then don't RTFM to find out how the super mod works.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I don't think anyone needs to be tortured with little flavor, poor battery life and dry hits. In fact I cleaned up some of my old stuff and am amazed I was able to quit with it.

Everyone wants to push low power MTL on newbies but I know someone who found no joy until I set him up with a high power sub-Ω MTL so he could puff short like a cigarette not long and slow like I had to learn to do.

The only real problem I see is newbies getting a mod that does everything (good so they don't have to buy a completely new set up when something doesn't suit them) and then don't RTFM to find out how the super mod works.
I always recommend a tank with versatile af and coil options for newbs. Also prefer advising low tech mods. Keeping it simple at first goes a long way towards easing frustration imo.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I always recommend a tank with versatile af and coil options for newbs. Also prefer advising low tech mods. Keeping it simple at first goes a long way towards easing frustration imo.

Of all that can be done to help someone quit smoking, I would rank easing the frustration of vaping number one. Frustration with an unsatisfying vape has to be the number one reason people return to smoking.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

Simple as in eGo battery or only VW, too simple, too prone to bad vaping.
Simple as in VTC Mini, yes.

If all I had was VW I'd end up having to buy another mod. I also recall frustrations from people having to spend more on vaping than they did to smoke to find the right thing for them.

Those bans were mostly our own fault imo. They probably were always going to happen but I feel we vaper's pushed too hard declaring our rights as non smokers. Might otherwise have had several more years of discreet freedom.

That was going on when vapers in the wild were very rare. We did not do this to ourselves.
The FDA tried to shut it completely down in 2009 before most people had even heard of vaping (because we were here on ECF trying to decide what to call it).
When Duluth fell I bet you could've polled the people in Duluth and few would've heard of ecigs let alone seen someone vaping in the wild to complain about it.
The world wide powers that be had it in their heads they were not going to allow people to quit smoking by pretending to smoke from the start. If we hadn't stood up to proclaim our rights it would probably a footnote in smoker history.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
graph-48_large.jpg

...wonder why '14, '15 and '16 are not in the chart.

I was looking it up, and that chart was made in 2014, the 2017 section was a projected estimate. As ilporcupine said, it is mostly convenience store data, it seems they had a hard time tracking anything that wasn't labeled specifically as an ecig, like mods and tanks/rda/rta.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Vaping wasn't banned in most public business until 2017. We did escalate the time line imo. Once gear was classified as a tobacco product the writing was on the wall but localities or individual business owners could choose where vaping was allowed. When we kept it discreet we were pretty much tolerated. Even if you were discreet some owners chose to ask you not to vape indoors and many vaper's in our area got very loud and rude about it. This was happening all over the US. It wasn't just the cloud chasers that stirred the pot as some claim. Some just chose the wrong platform to protest against. Even when smoking was allowed a business owner had the right to forbid smoking in their establishment. There is no valid reason to stomp on their rights either.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I had never seen, nor heard of "cloud chasers" until 8 months or so ago, and only because I started to look at YouTube stuff about vaping. It was not, apparently, a big thing in this area, I suppose.
We still got the local laws on vaping, though, because smokers had already been kicked outdoors, and to most people, vaping looks like smoking. Easiest course of action, of course, was just to bring both groups under the same umbrella. All the 'NON-everythings' have there way, and everybody grumbles, and goes on as best they can...
It had to happen that way, as soon as they did away with smoking sections in public places, it was a done deal.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Most of these research papers were probably done at the behest of Tobacco Cos. The articles are all laughably BT centered. For a laugh, read the Forbes article on how 'e-cigs are hot!' from 2013. All there investment ideas are Big Tobacco.
You cannot research a market, when you don't even know what it is!
BIS does talk about open and closed tank systems, mods, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread