Have I bought the right ingredients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amiller36

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Base is everything except flavoring. You have all the basic ingredients for DIY. People talk about ratios of PG/VG because you dont NEED either, but each adds an effect to the vape. PG adds throat hit, dilutes the juice and helps carry the flavor. VG creates the vapor cloud, thickens the mixture so it lasts longer. You make the ratio of PG / VG what ever you want based on the type of "hit" you want. The base, again, is WITH nicotine (if you want nicotine).

Hope I answered all the points

stormwench

Moved On
May 15, 2013
Bellevue, WA, USA
My basic kit, for started was PG with 54 mgs nicotine, VG, PG (without nicotine), the flavoring I started with which happened to be my two basic vaped a lot flavors and citric acid, and the obligatory utensils, tools and bottles. Pre-diluted nicotine can leave a residue unless you use really hot soapy water to remove it when done 'mixing' so to avoid any risk to the family I always had separate utensils for my e-juice.

When I started with DYI I did not mix my own flavor combinations to come up with other flavors. That
's because I went to DYI once I started having to order 5 bottle of my favorites at a time to keep in stock - DYI was a cost saver. After the comfort level set in then I started buying flavors that I combined to come up with my own flavor combinations.

As for the citric acid, cause people ask, its not only a flavoring in used in certain amounts but a small amount can help bring out other flavors as well as extend the shelf life a bit. I don't like the idea of some of the other stabilizers and 'preservatives' that are often use like polysorbate 80 but since citric acid is used for flavorings it seems 'relatively' harmless to add it a a 'flavoring' to everything and prolong shelf life especially if you are mixing a larger batch.

As for you calculations as to what you finally end up with as to nicotine content, you need to get the right 'calculations' for the ingredients you use. Some of the charts are based on people that use pure nicotine because they want no PG or started in the time where PG/Nic base was not available or are just pursuits. In your case you want a chart that will tell you what you need to add to cut down the 54mg to your desired level -12 or 18 or whatever. Be careful never to confuse your charts if you switch from using a nicotine already diluted in PG or if you mix your own PG/nic base or don't use PG at all and make a VG/nic base. I have always had to use nicotine and mix my own own VG/nicotine base if I want high percents of VG then PG or wanted a PG-less e-juice.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
....... Be careful never to confuse your charts if you switch from using a nicotine already diluted in PG or if you mix your own PG/nic base or don't use PG at all and make a VG/nic base. .......

Good advice here. Label everything, don't depend on your memory, and put some scotch tape over the label so that it doesn't rub off. (Ask me who had to learn this the hard way lol.)

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
I'm new to vaping and DIY e-liquid, i've purchased the following:

VG no nicotine
PG 54mg
and various flavourings.

Are these the basic ingredients required to mix my own juice? What does it mean when people talk about ratios of a VG/PG base?- is the base the NO nicotine solution?

Thanks!

you will prolly need some pg without nic,unless your want higher vg juice and bottles lots and lots of small bottles. some small and larger syringes.
Additives like sweetner and em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread