Need DIY E Liquid help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshJD94

Jun 2, 2013
North West, UK
Hello, I'm new to vaping and I decided to give DIY e-liquid a go. I understand the basics to E-liquid, vaping and how everything works (I'm also a student studying Biomedical Science so I am used to mixing liquids and performing serial dilutions and ratio mixes, etc.)

I'm now in my 2nd week of attempting to make my own liquid but it never seems right. I always get good clouds of smoke, good throat hit but very minor flavour from the actual flavourings; a chemical flavour seems to override it.

My model is the VIP Photon Tank.
The supplies and ingredients I bought to make my own juice are as follows:
100ml VG (no nicotine)
30ml PG (5.4%) "Unflavoured E Liquid"
10ml Blueberry Flavour (Perfume apprentice)

Please note: That's not my 'recipe', the 'ml' refers to the quantities I bought the ingredients in.

Everything I buy comes from Liberty Flights.

I make a solution of 2% strength and I have experimented with different amounts of flavour from 5% to 15% and each attempt has tasted the same- a slight chemical flavour with a hint of blueberry. I've started to let the solutions set over night with the cap off. I have noticed the colour darkens dramatically and the blueberry taste DOES increase, but the chemical taste still remains.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
Welcome to ECF

From the looks of it you are going with a very high VG percentage - VG does mute flavors quit a bit

Letting the juice sit overnight with the cap off is what we refer to as steeping (leaving the cap off is normally to let any alcohol in the flavoring to evaporate and only needs to be left off the first night generally)

most juices will develop more flavor the longer you can let it steep (some blends take up to a month before the flavor develops fully - yes, I know, no one wants to wait that long)

once you get a good juice that you like (make sure you right down all of the exact ratios so you can duplicate it) make a new batch a week or two before you will need at and add 1-2 ml of the old juice to it (called seed steeping and a lot of people had very good luck with it steeping quicker)

other people swear by using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaning device to speed steep (I tried it, didn't see a difference)

I have just started using a specially designed and engineered rig (soup can, foam rubber and duct tape) I made attached to a sawzall to shake the c&%p out my juices (garage full of seldom used tools) it is too soon to tell if it made a difference

Good Luck :)

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Seriously - let it sit. I know it's hard to wait but you need to give it time. The phrase 'faint chemical taste' is a tip-off that you're not letting it steep long enough.

I bought some pre-made flavors to try. I couldn't wait to try them. Trust me, they were terrible. Really, really bad. But they now been steeping almost a week and four of the five are quite good. One still has that 'chemical taste' but I'm confident it will disappear shortly.

lilmrsyeti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Alabama
You should remember that most flavors will need to steep before they are just really good...some can be really good after a few days, others might take weeks.

To speed up the process a bit...give them a Hot water bath first. Different strokes for different folks, but this is how I do it. After the juice is made, I put hot water in a bowl and microwave the water for about 30 seconds. Take out and sit it on counter and then add my juice bottle to the hot water. Let it sit for about 15 minutes or so, take bottle out of the water and put the water bowl back in the microwave for about 20 seconds...while its microwaving, I shake my juice bottle the whole time...once the water is done, take out and put bottle back in, and again, let it sit 15 minutes. I do this process at least 3 times...then I uncap it, including the "dripper" cap and put in a dark cabinet. at least twice a day, mostly more, I go by and give it a good hard shake...after 24 hours though, I put the cap back on and leave it on.

Some flavors I have to use about 20% to get a good flavorful juice...just depends on what Flavor Company you are using and also who you get your flavors from...even though the different vendors will sell the same brand flavors, some are not as concentrated as others.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Juice Components
Flavoring usually about 5- 15%- could be higher or lower depending on the flavor used.
PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like - many of us believe PG to be a throat irritant.
VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
Standards in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG.

Steeping involves more than 1 day of removing the cap and many fresh juices require steeping.

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I use this little program to help me figure out how much of what I put in my liquids.
eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

What I do is make a 1 ml sample without nic and test for flavor and get the basic percentages. Then I stick those percentages + the nic level into the program and have it do the math to add the nic to my level and upscale the recipe for how many ML I want to make.

bris1974

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2013
Wyoming
I don't find steeping is required longer than overnight on fruit flavors. add a drop of lemon juice per 5 ml. give a hot bath for a few minutes, and let sit overnight. if you get a bit of chemical flavor, add sweetener 1 drop at a time and shake well. I am vaping my fruit flavors the next day. I mix 50/50 at about 12-15% flavor from TFA.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread