Having a heck of a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedevil7953

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Central Indiana
I guess I've had vaper's tongue for several weeks now. Started vaping 4 months ago but haven't been able to give up the analogs entirely. Went from 3 packs a day to 10 cigs in the first 24 hours. Then got down to 5-7 cigs a day. Stayed at that level for a couple of months or so. Lately, I've been craving the nicotine and smoking 10-15 cigs a day in addition to vaping. I'm not beating myself up as I have many juices to choose from and I keep rotating 2 or 3 per day. I don't seem to find the ones that gave me satisfaction in the beginning to be satisfying now. I vape 24mg.

The problem is that I'm having an anterior cervical disectomy and fusion a week from today. Neck surgery, and will be going through the front of my neck and moving my larynx which will affect swallowing and speaking for awhile. The surgeon has warned me about smoking, as that can affect my healing. I'll be off work 6 weeks minimum. I've been told that some surgeons won't operate on smokers because of the healing and fusing problems.

Quite frankly, I think stress has been a major part of the problem with the analogs. I've known for a month about the pending surgery date, I've been stressed at work trying to train the person covering for me, making sure I get as much done in advance as possible. Stress is my major trigger point and I know it. The stress is compounding because I know the clock is ticking down to next Monday.

Has anyone had a similar problem with the smokes? What worked for you? Thanks for reading
smile.png

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
My mother had a tummy tuck and the doctor said she had to quit smoking first cause he said it could slow healing. For 6 weeks she struggled and quit. On the day of the operation they didn't even ask if she had quit and didn't test her either. She was so mad. This was years ago and she stayed off of them til her little dog died and that drove her back.

Im currently trying my best to convert her though.

El_tecolote

Moved On
Apr 10, 2013
I guess I've had vaper's tongue for several weeks now. Started vaping 4 months ago but haven't been able to give up the analogs entirely. Went from 3 packs a day to 10 cigs in the first 24 hours. Then got down to 5-7 cigs a day. Stayed at that level for a couple of months or so. Lately, I've been craving the nicotine and smoking 10-15 cigs a day in addition to vaping. I'm not beating myself up as I have many juices to choose from and I keep rotating 2 or 3 per day. I don't seem to find the ones that gave me satisfaction in the beginning to be satisfying now. I vape 24mg.

The problem is that I'm having an anterior cervical disectomy and fusion a week from today. Neck surgery, and will be going through the front of my neck and moving my larynx which will affect swallowing and speaking for awhile. The surgeon has warned me about smoking, as that can affect my healing. I'll be off work 6 weeks minimum. I've been told that some surgeons won't operate on smokers because of the healing and fusing problems.

Quite frankly, I think stress has been a major part of the problem with the analogs. I've known for a month about the pending surgery date, I've been stressed at work trying to train the person covering for me, making sure I get as much done in advance as possible. Stress is my major trigger point and I know it. The stress is compounding because I know the clock is ticking down to next Monday.

Has anyone had a similar problem with the smokes? What worked for you? Thanks for reading
smile.png

Your stress is absolutely understood. I'm not sure I could not smoke either facing surgery, off from work, recovery, etc. All you can possibly do is do the very best you can in the upcoming week. Giving up smoking isn't easy and when stress develops it becomes even more difficult. You will succeed because you are motivated to do so. My thoughts and prayers go with you.

Equus5O

ECF Veteran
Smoking inhibits bone growth. My neurosurgeon said forget lung cancer and worry more about my vertebrae fusing. The anesthesiologist will also be concerned about the smoking. I had the same surgery you're anticipating October 4. I was out of work 3 1/2 months. Don't freak out over the length of time I was out; I don't have a desk job. My surgeon said after my last X-ray in March that I showed remarkable bone growth, for a smoker. Ibuprofen also inhibits bone growth, so you'll be stuck with Tylenol, which is useless. I was permitted to start taking ibuprofen in March, and that was a huge help. Recovery from the surgery is a long, slow process. While the surgery eliminated the suffering I was experiencing, recovering from the surgery is no picnic. Good luck with the procedure. Don't get yourself totally worked up about your smoking. Take a breath, relax, and realize that you've probably at least cut back quite drastically. image.jpg

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Success story for you, shedevil:

My stepson had the same surgery. He was a heavy smoker. The doc told him the same thing...you must quit smoking for the healing process. So I got him a Kgo kit & lots & lots of prefilled cartomizers & some ejuice. So he vaped until the surgery.

Surgery was successful & during the post surgery check ups the doc asked about his smoking. Stepson said he was not smoking but was vaping. Doc said no vaping because nicotine inhibits healing by constricting blood flow. So...stepson stopped vaping & stopped smoking!!!

He is fully recovered today & a non smoker too.

WIN. WIN. WIN !!!

Good luck to you my friend.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Don't stress over work. The worse that will happen is you will get phone calls which you will be able to tell the person step by step what to do. Let them know you're available by phone after a certain date to take calls to help them out. Just take that stress out of the equation. As far as the stress of worrying about your operation, I wish I could help. Good luck and I am sending all the positive vibes out to you.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
First of all good luck with you surgery.

I can't blame you for stressing about work, I get the same way even before a vacation with my job because of what I do. All you can do is work you best to get the fill in up to speed, and get as much ahead as possible. Stress won't change that and might even make it harder. Your work will be okay, your health is always more important.

About the smoking, yes you should try and give up the analogs for your own health and the healing process you are about to go through. However you should not beat yourself up over this, we all quit the analogs at our own pace here. Don't feel like you're doing anything wrong if its not as fast as you'd like. I did the same thing and it actually made me smoke more.

What worked for me was juice. I read and watch reviews and ordered juices that sounded like they appealed to me. I mixed juices that I used to like together with ones that sounded like they would be a good mix. It took me a bit to find juices that worked for me and I still don't have a single ADV, but I found flavors that kept me from smoking.

Wish I had better advice for you, but you will be in my thoughts and I will be wishing you luck and a good recovery. :)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Hi shedevil.

The thing about e-cigs vs smoking...e-cigs are still missing about 7000 other chemicals. And many of us feel the loss of em. Do a search here on WTA. That will give you more info.

Basically, you still have withdrawal even with e-cigs and even while you get plenty of nicotine. And it is worse for some of us than it is for others. That's the bad news. The good news is that you get past most of it in about 2 or 3 weeks once you completely give up the stinkies. You have to push through it though.

I still miss some of the effects of tobacco. But I sure don't miss all the down sides of it. And e-cigs give me enough options and tinkering to keep me from smoking. I've avoided WTA juice thus far too. So it can be done!

I wish you luck on your surgery.

Last edited:

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
I'm SO sorry. I had ACDF surgery over Easter last year and am looking at a double lumbar fusion this Summer.

I wasn't smoking at the time, but some doctors DO test for nicotine so be honest with your surgeon. You might can drop down to 0 nicotine, but that might be tough.

I won't sugar-coat it. Mine was emergency surgery, I had a ruptured disc in my neck and excruciating pain and landed in the ER. Recovery took a good 2-3 months until I felt normal, I work from home and was able to do a little work the next week, but it took a while to get back to full recovery. I'm NOT looking forward to the lumbar fusion.

I have taste issues and the only thing that I can "taste" during that time is very strong cinnamon flavors - AllAboutVapor.com has a Cinnilla that works great for me (today only they have a coupon for their 2 year anniversary - TwoYears)

Edit: I had a sore throat for just a day or two and it wasn't all that bad. You can't even really see my scar unless you look for it, he did a great job of putting it in the fold/shadow area and it healed VERY nicely.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Peace of mind
Belief in ones self
Accepting what cannot change
Changing what can be
Taking pride in ones accomplishments

These are things that help us to be successful at our goals

Op should give serious consideration to reducing Nic intake. This will decrease the body demand for Nic(over time) and aid in stopping the smoking need. A single tank of stronger e-liquid available for emergency stress situations can cushion the transition.
I still carry mine but rarely hit it.

shedevil7953

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Central Indiana
I'm SO sorry. I had ACDF surgery over Easter last year and am looking at a double lumbar fusion this Summer.

I wasn't smoking at the time, but some doctors DO test for nicotine so be honest with your surgeon. You might can drop down to 0 nicotine, but that might be tough.

I won't sugar-coat it. Mine was emergency surgery, I had a ruptured disc in my neck and excruciating pain and landed in the ER. Recovery took a good 2-3 months until I felt normal, I work from home and was able to do a little work the next week, but it took a while to get back to full recovery. I'm NOT looking forward to the lumbar fusion.

I have taste issues and the only thing that I can "taste" during that time is very strong cinnamon flavors - AllAboutVapor.com has a Cinnilla that works great for me (today only they have a coupon for their 2 year anniversary - TwoYears)

Edit: I had a sore throat for just a day or two and it wasn't all that bad. You can't even really see my scar unless you look for it, he did a great job of putting it in the fold/shadow area and it healed VERY nicely.

I appreciate your candidness and I would prefer not to have the truth sugar-coated :). I'm sorry you had to have emergency surgery but glad that you recovered well. I will keep you in my thoughts and let me know when your lumbar surgery is scheduled.

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
I appreciate your candidness and I would prefer not to have the truth sugar-coated :). I'm sorry you had to have emergency surgery but glad that you recovered well. I will keep you in my thoughts and let me know when your lumbar surgery is scheduled.

The good news for you (and me this time) is that we have some time to research and come to grips with it. Trust me, the emergency part of it SUCKED because it was over a holiday and we had to get clearance from the insurance. I basically was doing IV *and* oral pain killers and it was barely helping. It was a BAD situation.

Having said that, if you have any ACDF questions, please feel free to ask. I can even send you my cell number if you need someone to text to or whine or have questions from someone that's been there during recovery. It's no small operation for most - some I've heard do really really well and are fine, but yeah. Mine was tough. I really hope you have an easy go at it.

Thanks, we're looking at June/July at this point. It gives me time to prepare mentally for it. You'll be in my thoughts too. Hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread