Having a problem with ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

GolfSauce

Mar 2, 2015
Michigan
I just bought an Eleaf istick 20W battery and an eleaf GS Air tank to go with it. The tank was made specifically for the battery, so it can handle up to 20W and it has two 3 ohm coils so it's a 1.5 ohm tank. The problem I am having with it is the istick says it is a 1.7 or 1.6 ohm tank so I cannot use the full 20W of power with the tank. I usually vape between 6 and 9 watts, but I would like to be able to use the full 20W of power if I want to. Any help, advice, or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
The iStick (20 watt) circuitry is set up to measure mean not RMS. It is not capable of down regulating power (it is widely inaccurate, especially at lower voltages). As long as you're aware of it and don't need a battery that can output voltages between 3v and 4.2 volts, you may like it. It does go up to 20 watts (but only using a 1.1 ohm coil).

If you are interested in seeing more about what is really going on with the iStick see a great post by fellow ECF member Peraspera: Wattage Ranges for Specific Ohm Builds Using iStick Specs

Last edited:

GolfSauce

Mar 2, 2015
Michigan
Thanks for the input. There is a YouTube video that shows someone using my exact battery and tank at the full 1.5 ohms and 20W that it is capable of. It is frustrating that my istick will only display 1.6 ohms even though it should show 1.5 ohms. Since it shows 1.6 ohms, I can only increase the wattage to 18.9 watts instead of the full 20 watts. If there is something I need to do to make it show the correct 1.5 ohms I would love to know! Thanks

Rsunderl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Silver Spring, MD, USA
dragon welcome2.jpg
Hi GolfSauce and welcome aboard!

The iStick is likely showing the correct ohms. Coils are mass produced and have a tolerance in the ohms. They can be off by a little bit and still be called "1.5 ohm coils".

The difference between 1.6 and 1.7 ohms isn't very much, nor is the difference between 18.9 and 20 watts. You can try other coils until you find one that's exactly 1.5 ohms and then go to 20 watts, but I doubt you'd find much difference in the vape experience. Just MHO.

Hope it helps and Happy Vaping!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
View attachment 416530
Hi GolfSauce and welcome aboard!

The iStick is likely showing the correct ohms. Coils are mass produced and have a tolerance in the ohms. They can be off by a little bit and still be called "1.5 ohm coils".

The difference between 1.6 and 1.7 ohms isn't very much, nor is the difference between 18.9 and 20 watts. You can try other coils until you find one that's exactly 1.5 ohms and then go to 20 watts, but I doubt you'd find much difference in the vape experience. Just MHO.

Hope it helps and Happy Vaping!

+1+1.....Exactly.....again

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Even though a brand new coil is marked 1.5ohms there can be variations in manufacturing so that your actual coil is 1.6 ohms. There is nothing you can do about it.

Over time (as a coil gets gunked up with burned juice) the ohms of the coil will likely rise.

In all honesty, you are not going to be about to tell the difference between 19 and 20 watts. It's such a small difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread