SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
I'm a little embarrassed to ask these questions:

I'm migrating from mainly PT2s to this neat new toy named hcigar and I just love the flavor. The device is clean and filled. Sitting on top of my ProVari.

1. I am getting intermittent "burned" taste BUT then I changed the way I vape. Press the fire button first, pause for a second and then draw. Seems to eliminate the burned/harsh taste. Natch I've played with the voltage but it appears its the way vape. Is this the generally accepted way to vape on this device?

2. Maybe it's my imagination ? but this puppy hits like a ton of bricks. Yesterday I got kinda wired. Looks like I'm going to have to lower my NIC level? Is this typical?

Thanks in advance for you help.

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
Senior, what you describe on the first question is actually recommended on the kayfun manual

Press - draw - release
Use the rule of "Press-draw-release". This means that you should press the power button before the draw and release it after the draw. This will give the coil time to heat up before draw and e vaporate excess of E-Liquid after it.

However, in my mind, that would help avoid flooding, I don't see how that would help avoid burning issues. As suggested on the manual, "Dry wick is the most common cause of burnt taste", so it might just be some issue with your current build. You would probably get some great feedback if you manage to post some pics of your build.

The manual also has a nice troubleshooting list with solutions for dry hits and flooding issues:
http://www.meshweaver.com/temp/vaping/SVOEMESTO_KAYFUN_v3.1ES_USER_MANUAL.pdf

About your other question, in my personal experience, I agree, it's a much more efficient delivery system. It's quite typical to hear reports of folks lowering their nic levels with this type of system. I still enjoy the same nic as before, even tho it's a much stronger effect. So I tend to keep a lower nic juice on my second tank and keep them on rotation depending on my mood/time of day.

hope this helps some, and that you can get it all sorted out quickly :toast:

Last edited:

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Senior, what you describe on the first question is actually recommended on the kayfun manual

However, in my mind, that would help avoid flooding, I don't see how that would help avoid burning issues. As suggested on the manual, "Dry wick is the most common cause of burnt taste", so it might just be some issue with your current build. You would probably get some great feedback if you manage to post some pics of your build.

The manual also has a nice troubleshooting list with solutions for dry hits and flooding issues:

About your other question, in my personal experience, I agree, it's a much more efficient delivery system. It's quite typical to hear reports of folks lowering their nic levels with this type of system. I still enjoy the same nic as before, even tho it's a much stronger effect. So I tend to keep a lower nic juice on my second tank and keep them on rotation depending on my mood/time of day.

Very helpful. Thank you so much. It's a cotton wick via CVS Sterile cotton at 1.5 OHMs. Don't recall the size of the Kanthal. I will post pics later. I found this in the .pdf:

The reason: Yes, this can also happen if during assembly you don’t place tails of the wick along the grooves but leave them lifted. This is usually done out of habit - wick tails are placed this way in some popular cartomisers. What happens: In this case, when you draw, liquid flows into evaporation chamber, does not find wick tails to suck into (they are raised up), eventually rises over the air duct level and overflows. Meanwhile coil remains dry causing burnt taste. What to do: Install wick correctly

When I primed it I pressed the tails of the wicks against the metal above the juice grooves as I dripped the juice on the wicks. They are not lifted. Not sure if this is the cause?

Thanks again.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Wick placement is important. You want just enough wick to rest on the shelf of the deck but not block the fluid chambers.

If the wick is elevated, too much then the wicks will dry out. If the wick is too stuffed, then there is no fluid flow. both will cause a dry hit.

Now one thing I figured out quick. A dry hit on a Kayfun is not the same as a dry hit on say a Protank.

A Protank will immediately reward me with a harsh mouth taste on a dry hit. However, a Kayfun will be more subtle, and the dry hit manifests itself in a harsh burn that runs down the back of my throat.

In all cases, it was wicking issues.

There is also a good recoil guide in the Kayfun instructions. to show proper placement of the wick. You should always wet the wick to keep the wick in place when you install the chimney.

Last edited:
Those plastic tips didnt work for me...they go in tight and no juice goes thru no matter how much or how little pressure i apply. Ive tried 18ga green luer lock tips...dont fit. 20ga pink...no juice flow. Plastic bottle tips...no flow. Blunt tip 18ga needle tbat came with russian...juice flows back out. What..the..@$!#

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

I use these for my Russians/Kayfun clones. Work perfectly

I have those. No luck on a KEBO Russian full size. Ive tried 5 different plastic tips. 18ga 20ga needle tips. 18ga luer dispensers. It fills a few drops then comes back out. Or it doesnt go at all

Cormkev59

Apr 23, 2014
Canton, MI, USA

Sweet! A manual how I do love manuals. I have been searching for a Kay-fun Lite Plus manual on the internet but unsuccessful. Thanks for the link. I have a HCigar clone of the 3.1 but the basics are the same. My Kay-fun Lite + is an original and has become my favorite RBA.

CABBA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
Canada
I stumbled upon this thread and here is my solution. I use these blunt needle tips. They are 1.7mm in diameter. My first attempts the juice wouldn't flow so I snipped the tip on a slight angle and now they are filling perfectly.
e8uryge4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CABBA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
Canada
I have those. No luck on a KEBO Russian full size. Ive tried 5 different plastic tips. 18ga 20ga needle tips. 18ga luer dispensers. It fills a few drops then comes back out. Or it doesnt go at all

Snip the tip on a slight angle. It seems that the face of the tip gets blocked by the face of the filling valve.
gagyhu7e.jpg

Some like top filling and that's fine if you want to go that way. But filling through the valve is neat and easy if you get a tip that works. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I found this item on fleabay. Dispensing Needle Assortment 100 Pcs Tip Sampler Kit | eBay The blunt plastic dispensing needles work great on my Russian fill port. I also use the other needles in the package for DIY, filling other devices, or around the house. I use the ones that are pinkish in color.... sorry, I'm terrible with colors. They are luer lock and I've been using a 5 ml plastic syringe.
The thing I'm starting to notice is a slow seep from the fill valve. I don't know what to do about it and I have yet to find any information regarding repairing the fill ports. I'm wondering if they were put on as a feature but no one planned on having to service them. If it fails completely I'm stuck with only being able to top fill and plugging the fill port completely. Sort of irks me something is sold to us with no way to fix it. I know caveat emptor....lol
Anyone found any fixes for bum fill ports on Kayfun 3.1's (genuine or clones) or Russians? I'm really curious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread