HEADS UP - NEWS - UPDATES! (When we know, you'll know!)

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
July 29, 2020
(via CASAA Twitter @CASAAMedia)

Research shows CDC caused public confusion and bad legislation with lung injury response. Why you should oppose public vaping bans (heads up New Hanover and West Hollywood.) Kentucky vape tax starts August 1. vape shops and companies doing what it takes to stay in business.

RESEARCH: With the resurgence of lung injury reports, media/lawmakers need to learn from this May 2020 paper.

"The CDC initially suggested that the cause of the outbreak was nicotine vaping because the outbreak followed a large increase in nicotine vaping among US adolescents. Case–control studies revealed that the majority of cases had vaped illicit cannabis oils that were contaminated by vitamin E acetate. The CDC's public advice and the media were slow to report the evidence on the role of cannabis vaping. Popular government regulatory proposals—bans on sales of nicotine flavours and vaporizers—were based on the assumption that nicotine vaping was the cause of the outbreak."

"Media reporting in the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom of the US Centers for Disease Control's analysis of the causes of the e‐cigarette or vaping product use associated lung injury outbreak contributed to regulatory over‐reactions to nicotine vaping by the public health community."

"EVALI" has nothing to do with nicotine vapor products!

Error - Cookies Turned Off
NEW HANOVER CO., NC: (HEADS UP!) HHS wants to BAN VAPING EVERYWHERE IN PUBLIC. Such bans have no scientific basis and mislead public to WRONGLY believe vaping has significant health risks, in turn leading public to support MORE bans/taxes and nearby governments to follow suit!

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2020/07/29/...ote-on-revised-rule-prohibiting-e-cigarettes/

Native American Reservations a Haven for New York Vape Shops
KENTUCKY: (HEADS UP!) The new vapor product tax (currently including devices) starts August 1. In addition to the existing 6% sales tax, a "sin" tax of $1.50 on each cartridge or pod, and 15% of the actual price for an open vaping system will be imposed.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article244356842.html
BAD PUBLIC HEALTH: Another reason to oppose public use bans! "Public" smoking bans are increasingly encroaching PRIVATE spaces, such as condo and apartment units. Especially troubling for elderly & poor forced to leave their home, increasing their risks.

Proposal to Ban Smoking in Apartments Gets Pushback from Cannabis Advocacy Group
If you’re on Facebook, please be sure to join your CASAA state group to help prevent anti-harm reduction laws like these from spreading through the state! Link: CASAA.org - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association
Join CASAA here: Join CASAA - CASAA
Find your state info here: Find My State Info - CASAA

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Any updates on that bill? I checked and it still shows:
Latest Action: House - 07/06/2020 Held at the desk

I've been keeping an eye on live.house.gov this week and I haven't seen it brought up. The House is adjourned until Tuesday.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I've been keeping an eye on live.house.gov this week and I haven't seen it brought up. The House is adjourned until Tuesday.

Frustrations simmer as Congress prepares rare August work

"The impasse between Democrats and Republicans over a massive economic recovery package has spilled into next month, and shows no sign of ending soon. Hundreds of lawmakers are being sent home — for now — with a warning they may be called back with a day’s notice if an agreement is reached." :facepalm:

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Good morning friends!

Wow..no posts since Sat.?!...and I didn't realize that so many days have gone by since I was last here!

I've been a bit sickly for awhile , so I'm not feeling very energetic. Going for a full physical...which I haven't done in years...to get fixed up.. this Thurs.

everyone...be safe and cautious...and,no I don't have Covid19...just very old age:)

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Your inbox is full, so I'll say it here. Thank you for fighting for us vapers. :) Really appreciate your efforts.
Thank you so much! (And also thanks for the reminder - I haven't looked at my inbox for ages. It's apparently been full since 2015. Oops, lol! :blush: )

Reactions: misswish1

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Good morning friends!

Wow..no posts since Sat.?!...and I didn't realize that so many days have gone by since I was last here!

I've been a bit sickly for awhile , so I'm not feeling very energetic. Going for a full physical...which I haven't done in years...to get fixed up.. this Thurs.

everyone...be safe and cautious...and,no I don't have Covid19...just very old age:)
Hope you feel better!

I only post when I have vape-related news, and with COVID and other world events, things haven't been as active on our front. I'm back with a post today, though!

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
August 7, 2020

California Call to Action UPDATE! How flavor bans hurt adults who quit smoking. Research clearly exposes ANTZ bias. Heads Up Phoenix, AZ! Country of Myanmar unbelievably bans vaping. The likely real reason behind Louisiana's prohibition on vaping in cars with children.

BAD PUBLIC HEALTH POLICY: "The real victims of the anti-flavor crusade are former smokers who use flavored e-cigarettes to stay away from combustible tobacco cigarettes along with current smokers who are looking for an effective way to quit smoking."

https://www.realclearpolicy.com/art...mokers_looking_for_harm_reduction_500491.html

By a vote of 10 to 2, SB 793 (Flavor ban) has passed the Asm. Health Committee and is being referred to the Asm. Appropriations Committee. A hearing is expected soon and CASAA will update this alert when details are available.

If passed by the Asm. Appropriations Committee, SB 793 will then move to a vote by the full assembly. It is vital that California residents continue to make contact with their officials.

Take Action - Click Link to Send a Message!

CA - Stop a Statewide Flavor Ban! (Updated)
EXPOSING ANTZ BIAS: How the researchers chose to view and report these results exposes their anti-vaping bias. An alternate way to interpret the results would be "Teens already using significant amounts of tobacco, alcohol, marijuana and other drugs were more likely to (correctly) consider nicotine vaping to be a relatively harmless activity." Of course, that wouldn't serve their agenda.

full

News Bureau | ILLINOIS
PHOENIX, AZ: (HEADS UP!) Councilman wants to ban flavored vapor, claims they're "dangerous" without providing any evidence to support this claim, while reporter falsely states tobacco/vaping makes people more "susceptible" to COVID-19 (a claimthat has been debunked) and doctor makes the baseless, completely unproven claim that vaping decreases defenses.

Phoenix councilman wants to ban flavored tobacco

Myint U, NLD representative for Thanatpin’s Bago region, said it was a good move for public health and outright lied about the health effects.

"Smoking e-cigarettes can cause cancer, pneumonia, epilepsy and other diseases due to the use of tobacco. Hence, Myanmar should halt all the usage of e-cigarettes and its accessories like all those other nations," he said.

Vaping in Myanmar is now illegal – but will that stop anyone? | Coconuts Yangon

While most people wouldn't vape or smoke in a car with kids anyhow, there is no SCIENTIFIC basis to treat vapor the same as smoke. This ANTZ law is likely misrepresenting the risks just to lay groundwork justifying WORSE bans/taxes in the future. Meaning, if the general public is misled by such laws to believe that vaping is as harmful as smoking, they will be more likely to support future laws/taxes to reduce vaping. It's a classic ANTZ tactic.

New Louisiana law makes it illegal to vape with children in a vehicle | BRProud.com | WVLA | WGMB
If you’re on Facebook, please be sure to join your CASAA state group to help prevent anti-harm reduction laws like these from spreading through the state! Link: CASAA.org - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
SUPPORT VAPING OPTIONS: Without those who were courageous enough to start a vape biz in these uncertain and confusing times, consumers wouldn't have the choices they do. Here YOU can help those businesses submitting FDA Pre-Marketing Tobacco Applications!

Open Surveys for Independent PMTAs - CASAA

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
PHOENIX, ARIZONA: (HEADS UP!) Using COVID-19 (completely unrelated to flavors) as excuse, council member is introducing ordinance to ban sale of all tobacco & nicotine products in non-tobacco flavors. Not yet introduced, but YOU can take action NOW!

AZ – Phoenix – Stop A Flavor Ban! - CASAA

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
August 18, 2020

Heads Up Phoenix, AZ and New Hanover, NC! Excellent vaping commentaries by Michelle Minton at CEI, Steve Forbes at Forbes and Jacob Sullum at Reason. You can help businesses submitting FDA Pre-Marketing Tobacco Applications! ANTZ fake a COVID-19 link to vaping. ANTZ twist truth about smoke-free tobacco. FTC thinks Altria's JUUL investment "consolidated" the vapor market, ignores PMTA devastation.

SUPPORT VAPING OPTIONS: Without those who were courageous enough to start a vape biz in these uncertain and confusing times, consumers wouldn't have the choices they do. Here YOU can help those businesses submitting FDA Pre-Marketing Tobacco Applications!

PHOENIX, ARIZONA: (HEADS UP!) Using COVID-19 (completely unrelated to flavors) as excuse, council member is introducing ordinance to ban sale of all tobacco & nicotine products in non-tobacco flavors. Not yet introduced, but YOU can take action NOW!

AZ – Phoenix – Stop A Flavor Ban! - CASAA

How the U.S. Spreads Fake Vaping Fears, Part II
"In defiance of history, science, and human nature, governments around the world are warming up to the idea of prohibition. While maintaining easy access to combustible cigarettes, governments are increasingly considering policies to ban, tax, or heavily restrict non-combustible forms of nicotine. Such policies, among others, will keep smokers smoking and millions around the globe dying as a result."

Be sure to read part 1, too!

How the U.S. Spreads Fake Vaping Fears, Part II
ANTZ announce global deaths increase due to "smokeless tobacco," but 82% of the cases are in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. It's a stretch to call what they use there "smokeless tobacco," because the most popular product used - gutkha - contains crushed areca nut (betel nut), tobacco, catechu, paraffin wax and slaked lime. The main ingredient is the areca nut, so the tobacco is actually an additive to gutkha, not the main ingredient. Areca nut is highly carcinogenic, in addition to other health problems to which it's been linked. Even the tobacco-free form of gutkha (paan masala) is known to be "carcinogenic, genotoxic, and have harmful effects on the oral cavity, liver, kidneys and reproductive organs."

Those products are very different from the chew and snus that people in the most of the rest of the world think of as "smokeless tobacco." It is no accident that the ANTZ want people to think these cases are rising (or ever were) because of western-style smoke-free tobacco!

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-global-deaths-due-smokeless-tobacco.amp
Researchers claim to find #COVID19 is associated with youth #vaping, prompting a call by U.S. Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi for FDA to "temporarily clear the market of all e-cigarettes," but expert analysis finds that the data contradicts the claim. #QuitLying

And for even more proof that this study is ANTZ junk science, read this excellent Twitter thread by Michelle Minton!

"The attacks are factually false. Contrary to the antivaping narrative, e-cigarettes are the best, least harmful way for smokers to give up tobacco."

Vaping Versus Tobacco: The Truth You Need To Know

The study suggests that vaping raises your risk of catching the disease, but only if you stop (vaping).

"Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi (D–Ill.), who chairs the House Oversight Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy, wants the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ban e-cigarettes as a COVID-19 hazard. He cites a new study that supposedly shows "e-cigarette users are much likelier to be diagnosed with COVID-19 and to experience symptoms." But contrary to what you may have read, that is not what the study actually found."

Citing a Dubious Study, This Congressman Wants the FDA To Ban E-Cigarettes As a COVID-19 Hazard
Personal feeling aside, FTC thinking Altria's investment in JUUL "reduced competition and consolidated the e-cigarette market" completely ignores open systems market as valid competition (and did vapers really not have a lot of options when Altria stopped selling their e-cigarettes?) and shows appalling ignorance that looming PMTA requirements will soon decimate the entire vapor products market, maybe even JUUL without Altria's backing.

Altria, JUUL Call FTC’s Antitrust Complaint ‘Ill-Conceived’ and Deal Good for Competition, Consumers
Without evidence showing any risk to bystanders, HHS seeks commissioner approval to ban ALL public vaping and smoking. Even if you don't vape where you can't smoke, health laws should be based on science, not lies!

Update to county-wide smoking ban approved by Health and Human Services Board | Fox Wilmington WSFX-TV

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
August 19, 2020

Urgent California Call to Action Update! Vape research review tells "the whole story." ANTZ vaping fear tactics resemble "...... madness." FDA shames teen vapers. Vapers returning to smoking. Consequences of South Africa's bans. ANTZ admit flavors aren't only reason teens might vape. The "slippery slope" of public smoking/vaping bans.

CALIFORNIA: (CALL TO ACTION UPDATE!) Committee meets again TOMORROW (8/20)! We've made it easy to advocate for your ability to purchase of non-tobacco vapor flavors. YOU can do this!! Just click the link and send a message NOW!

CA - Stop a Statewide Flavor Ban! (Updated)
"...recent research appearing to demonstrate a link between e-cigarettes and respiratory disease does not tell the whole story...the authors find no evidence that current or former e-cigarette use is associated with respiratory disease among respondents who had never smoked combustible tobacco. Moreover, while dual users are more likely to develop respiratory disease than non-smokers, there do not appear to be significant differences between dual users and smokers."

Research claims a link between e-cigarettes and respiratory disease: Not so fast | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal

"Not satisfied with a ban on flavored products, vaping opponents are now trying to leverage fear of COVID-19 infection as a means of preventing many adults from choosing to engage in an activity they find pleasurable....

As with '...... madness' and other drug war hysterics, vapophobia and e‐cigarette prohibition will only fuel a nascent and growing underground market. It will also deprive tobacco smokers of an effective means of harm reduction as they try to quit that decidedly unhealthy activity."

Leveraging the COVID Pandemic to Advance Vapophobia

"But for those who are dependent on nicotine, are the real harms [from vaping] as dangerous as the results of humiliation, or encouraging their friends to treat them as pariahs? That’s where we are with teenage vaping now."

FDA Uses Drug War-Style Ads to Shame Teenage Vapers - Vaping360

Guy Bentley on how "consequences of banning e-cigarette flavors, incl pushing people to smoke more, might be unintended but that doesn’t make them excusable."

As vaping bans increase, people turn back to more harmful traditional cigarettes – Redlands Daily Facts

"It's terrible to admit it but I had some illegal cigarettes," said a Johannesburg-based artist, stocking up on nicotine liquid at a nearby vape shop.

South African Businesses Relieved As Restrictions Ease

ANTZ letter to the editor admits that teens could start vaping for reasons other than flavors. (CDC data actually shows "curiosity" is the main reason for over 56%. Flavors at around 22%.) Of course, still lying about a COVID-19 link!

Letter to the Editor: Uncertainty and stress could make kids turn to vaping
The "We just want separate non-smoking areas for us" campaign of the 1970's (where ANTZ denied there was a "slippery slope" to bans everywhere) has finally hit rock bottom to "No smoking or vaping even in your own home."

West Hollywood residents concerned over new smoking ban amendment

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
August 21, 2020

Heads Up for Oregon! Montana vapers beat flavor ban. The ignored upside of the CDC's 2019 YRBS report. ANTZ bias and shady tactics exposed. Another reason why you should oppose public use bans.

CDC 2019 YOUTH RISK BEHAVIOR SURVEY REPORT: While the ANTZ focus on the misleading 32.7% of high school youth "currently" vaping (having at least 1 puff in the past 30 days,) we'd like to point out the GOOD NEWS that DAILY vaping (a better indicator of "addiction") is just 7.1% and the 6.0% currently smoking is down from 23% in 2005 (once again showing that there is NO vaping "gateway effect" to youth smoking.) Additionally, daily youth smoking is down to just 1.1% from 7.2% in 2005.

full

Trends in the Prevalence of Tobacco Use National YRBS: 1991—2019 | YRBSS | Adolescent and School Health | CDC
Good news! After 20 lawmakers objected and a legislative poll was conducted, MHD was forced to withdraw its flavor ban this past Friday. Congratulations to all of the advocates who fought long & hard to get the truth out & change minds!

Montana Health Department Withdraws Proposed Ban On Flavored Vape Products
After exposing mice only to cigarette SMOKE, without testing if vaping even produced (or significantly reduced) the same potential risk, researchers list vaping as a health threat to future generations. This is what passes for valid science in tobacco control?

Can a pregnant woman who smokes be hurting her future grandchildren? | FIU News - Florida International University
Ignoring that adults are returning to smoking in areas where vapor products are excessively taxed, sales restricted and flavors banned, anti-vape group recommends vapor products be excessively taxed, sales restricted and flavors banned, in order to reduce youth use. They also continue to lie that nicotine vaping has a link to lung injuries and COVID-19.

Vaping: Addressing Oregon's epidemic

Would an article about Alcohol-Related Liver Disease end with "We can help people kick the soda habit and reduce the risk of health complications. Although ARLD has been associated with people drinking alcohol, many people drink soda in addition to alcohol"?

Only if the true goal was conflating nicotine vaping with EVALI (in the minds of the unknowing public) to gain support for bans and taxes.

full

Minnesota Department of Health lab finds Vitamin E acetate in vaping products linked to recent lung injury outbreak
If you think this doesn't affect you, just remember that many vapers don't fight ordinances adding vaping to or expanding smoking bans, saying they "already don't vape where they can't smoke." If ANTZ get their way, that will soon be EVERYWHERE, including private residences.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
VERMONT: (CALL TO ACTION UPDATE!) S. 288 (Flavor Ban) heading to meeting in the Senate Finance Committee on Thursday, August 27, 2020, 3:00 PM, Room 6.

CASAA makes it quick and easy to send a message to your state senator urging them to oppose this bill!

https://www.votervoice.net/CASAA/campaigns/70639/respond

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
August 25, 2020

Call to Action update for Vermont flavor ban! Heads Up for Hawaii! Help your favorite vape companies with PMTA. Looming California flavor ban sparks editorial on unintended consequences and exposes ANTZ ideology over reality.

VERMONT: (CALL TO ACTION UPDATE!) S. 288 (Flavor Ban) heading to meeting in the Senate Finance Committee on Thursday, August 27, 2020, 3:00 PM, Room 6.

CASAA makes it quick and easy to send a message to your state senator urging them to oppose this bill!

VT - Stop Flavors Prohibition (S. 288)! (UPDATED)

HAWAII: (HEADS UP!) ALA now pushing flavor ban after their "proven effective" Tobacco/Vapor 21 scheme, passed in Hawaii in 2015 & nationally in 2019, fails to reduce youth vaping rates (which are artificially inflated by "just one puff" in past 30 days.)
They also continue to unethically confuse and mislead the public by placing blame on nicotine vaping for EVALI (actually caused by vitamin E acetate in illicit THC products) and COVID-19 (the risks of which have not been linked to vaping in any way, whatsoever.)
Maui Now: American Lung Association Responds to Hawai‘i’s Vaping Rates
DEADLY ANTZ POLICIES: (EDITORIAL) California Bill 793, which bans sale of flavored tobacco and vapor products throughout the state, "purports to improve public health, but it actually would endanger the health of people who are trying to quit smoking."

Flavor ban would deprive smokers of safer options – Orange County Register
ANTZ IDEOLOGY vs REALITY: Claiming your law won't increase potentially dangerous police/citizen interactions because you're banning store sales not possession, completely misses the point of who will be selling those products once stores can't sell them.

Proposed California ban on flavored tobacco sales sparks discussion of systemic racism

Users who are viewing this thread