Heads up on NiZn batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
This may not be of much interest to you unless you have interest in working with AA or AAA mods, but if you do? I think you will like it.

I've been aware that there is a new iteration of our familiar AA batteries. It's NiZn (nickel zinc). The "big deal", if there can be said to be one, is that they are not only rechargeable, but are said to deliver a full 1.6V. Currently they are only available in a AA package, which doesn't lend itself to a small mod, however, the chargers are already set up for AAA's and I have found them available... in china, naturally. So they will get here sooner or later.

So... this leaves open the possibility of constructing a 3 cell 4.8V device. Limited to AA now. But will it work?

I got some of the AA's today and charged them up. Voltage reading fully charged? A little over 5.5V/3cells in series. Happily, I had recently finished a simple box mod for 3 AA's and installed them and hit the "go button" on a standard 510 atty while measuring the voltage... 4.85V under load! Big fluffy Clouds-O-Vapor! But man, does it plow thru the juice.

For those who like their PVs smaller than a Mack Truck, the AAA's are in China now (where else) and it is just a matter of time before we get to play with those. The chargers are already set up to charge them.

Best price I've found:

FRYS.com.|.PowerGenix

Happy vaping!

Last edited:

duby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
atlanta
Slightly better prices on Ebay and amazon.com

Capacity is between 1300mAh and 1500mAh. So lower than NiMH

Manufacturer provided discharge graphs here
http://www.powergenix.com/docs/powergenix-specs-aa.pdf

Discharging at 2 to 3 amps seems well withing range.

Yes you will need a special charger. I would suggest the one the manufacturer sells.

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
Nice find Nobodyatall. One thing that interests me is my digital camera doesn't seem to like my NiMH's which I assume is due to the lower volts over alkalines. These seem like the answer to that issue.

They almost certainly are. It's part of their stated purpose, at least. My suspicion is that the technology will likely take over from NiMh. It would be really interesting to see them in sub-AA or sub-AAA form. That might make for some compact mods without the peculiarities and potential dangers of Li-ion. Time will tell.

Speaking of time, I've been vaping on these for a day now. Sufficient time to have exhausted my RiVa twice. Let's see how the voltage is holding up......

4.05 under load. Now, if I had just had the patience to let them fully charge before I began. lol

An overnight charge & I will try again to see if the result is the same.

Dear Lord.... I'll have to use the RiVa. Hahahahaha. So easily am I spoiled.

NoLeak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Dec 8, 2009
    USA
    I noticed these in someone's sig over at the candlepower forums and had them on my list to check out. I haven't had the time to look into them in-depth yet and only just now skimmed the Wikipedia article. One thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned, they have very low internal resistance. Also, NiZn is considered a "safe" battery chemistry meaning it doesn't tend to act like a bomb when things go bad.

One thing I haven't seen yet...is this a Low Self Discharge chemistry?

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2010
    Phoenix
    I noticed these in someone's sig over at the candlepower forums and had them on my list to check out. I haven't had the time to look into them in-depth yet and only just now skimmed the Wikipedia article. One thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned, they have very low internal resistance. Also, NiZn is considered a "safe" battery chemistry meaning it doesn't tend to act like a bomb when things go bad.

One thing I haven't seen yet...is this a Low Self Discharge chemistry?

I've seen claims of 1%/day and others of 13%/mo. It's doubtfull I will store them for any length of time to find out, as I didn't even have the patience to test them fresh out of the charger this morning before flopping them into my box mod so I could enjoy it with my coffee. lol

Thusfar they "deliver" when new, but we will see how they are in a couple months. Theoretically, they should end up being cheaper in the long run simply due to the cheapness of the materials they are made from.

Here's an article on them. Truth or hype? That's what I am trying to find out.

PowerGenix NiZn rechargeable AA batteries: finally, some cells worth buying -- Engadget

Incidentally, if you buy a set, the charger LEDs aren't very bright and dim VERY slowly as the cells come up to charge. They do finally go dark.

Sci

ECF Veteran
    Dec 12, 2009
    Al
    From the PowerGenix FAQ page:

How quickly do NiZn batteries self-discharge?

The self-discharge rate is the natural loss of battery power or energy capacity when the battery is standing idle and not in use. PowerGenix batteries have a self-discharge rate equal of approximately 8 percent per month at room temperature. This is comparable to other rechargeable batteries.

Nobodyatall, I've got these on the way, they'll be here tomorrow. Thanks again for bringing these out.

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2010
    Phoenix
    From the PowerGenix FAQ page:

Nobodyatall, I've got these on the way, they'll be here tomorrow. Thanks again for bringing these out.

Youbetcha!;)

I knew I wouldn't be the only person with interest. The darn things are too good a replacement for NiMh if they work out well.

I'm in full on long term test mode with them. I didn't check voltage this morning after a full charge due to impatience, but the set of 3 are putting out 4.54V under load now after use all day. Good gravy! I just choked on vapor! I'd say they are working out ok so far.

Incidentally, I've run across anecdotal info on repeated deep cycle discharge potentially lowering the full charge capacity. As a result, I'll be trying an overnight charge routine each day.

Interesting experiment verifying the sales literature. So many things fail to measure up anymore. It's almost to be expected.

If you try a 4-cell mod, please let me know how it works out. Seems like a standard atty should withstand it, but I just didn't have the space in the mod I threw together.

Initially I didn't understand why people were going on so much about 5V mods & the rest. I think I get it now. It really does change the vaping experience. It throws a whole lot more flavor at you. Me like!

LowThudd

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2010
    I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
    Nice find Nobodyatall. One thing that interests me is my digital camera doesn't seem to like my NiMH's which I assume is due to the lower volts over alkalines. These seem like the answer to that issue.

If you get some LMK how they work out. I have a Pentax SLR that hates NiMhms.

Sci

ECF Veteran
    Dec 12, 2009
    Al
    Youbetcha!;)

I knew I wouldn't be the only person with interest. The darn things are too good a replacement for NiMh if they work out well.

I'm in full on long term test mode with them. I didn't check voltage this morning after a full charge due to impatience, but the set of 3 are putting out 4.54V under load now after use all day. Good gravy! I just choked on vapor! I'd say they are working out ok so far.

Incidentally, I've run across anecdotal info on repeated deep cycle discharge potentially lowering the full charge capacity. As a result, I'll be trying an overnight charge routine each day.

Interesting experiment verifying the sales literature. So many things fail to measure up anymore. It's almost to be expected.

If you try a 4-cell mod, please let me know how it works out. Seems like a standard atty should withstand it, but I just didn't have the space in the mod I threw together.

Initially I didn't understand why people were going on so much about 5V mods & the rest. I think I get it now. It really does change the vaping experience. It throws a whole lot more flavor at you. Me like!

You've been using them all day & are still getting 4.54v out of a 3 pack? That's strong!!! I'm looking forward to giving these a go. I'm thinking about trying a pair with a booster. I got the 8 pack :), so I can try a 3 or 4 cell mod at the same time. If I do 4, I'll regulate it down to 5v.
    It sounds like you've proved most everything I've read about these so far. I'll know 1st hand by Thurs. I'll make myself let them get a full charge. :)
    I purposely held off on making a 5v mod for quite a while. I just about can't vape anything else anymore. If it weren't for LR attys/cartos, my 3.7v mods would be gathering dust.:)
    Once again, great find on these & thanks for sharing!

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2010
    Phoenix
    Hmmm... Yes, I noticed that the initial charge took a LOT longer than expected for me too. The subsequent charges have been pretty quick. It's like they were shipped dead.

I'll report voltage tests each Sunday. I'm curious to see how they hold up over time. Y'know, for a new product which is probably an exclusive due to patent rights, they weren't really any more expensive than NiMh.

Sure hope the AAAs arrive soon. I've a box to put them in soon after!

Sci

ECF Veteran
    Dec 12, 2009
    Al
    The lights never went off on the charger. I metered them & got 1.91v on 2, 1.89v on the other 2. Close enough.:) I put 2 in a AA box & wired a connector to it. They did great with an LR 901 atty & 510 e2 cartos, not so hot with a regular 510 carto & an 808 carto. I'll put together something more permanent & try 3 Sat. I was really suprised with the 901 LR. It normally gets hot, quick. It didn't heat up & produced vapor like crazy. I used it for about 30 minutes & the batteries dropped about .1v. Can't wait to get 3 together & see how they do.

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2010
    Phoenix
    The lights never went off on the charger.

It definitely should when they are topped off, at least mine has consistently. From the voltage readings you got, they should have been near full charge I would guess. My charger is definitely not the fast charge one. Looks like about 4 hours minimum after a days vaping, more if I do a lot of chain vaping.

They say "high drain" and I'm planning an atty design that will put that to the test. May have all the parts tomorrow. It will be utter heresy compared with what folks hereabouts normally say. Should be interesting. Moreso if it actually works. lol

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread