Heart Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed4829

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2008
Virginia, USA
I'm just wondering if there are anyone out there that had any kind of heart problems before vaping and noticed any big changes since vaping?

I had an episode of supraventricular tachycardia once and have tiny heart palpitations once in a while. I just got done being on a heart monitor because I could feel fluttering in my chest that kept happening every 15 minutes for a full day. The results was that they saw nothing (which makes no sense to me because I could feel them).

Anyway, I only smoke about 5 cigs a day but I remember when I was only vaping that I did not have any of these episodes. So I'm just curious if anyone else has had anything similar and has seen a change since vaping.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Tumbleweed, I don't believe it's as clear cut as that. In fact, from studies of smokeless tobacco use there is evidence indicating that nicotine, alone, may not be that dangerous, in terms of cardiovascular damage or issues. It seems to be more nicotine combined with the products of combustion, and particularly carbon monoxide, that is most dangerous. Here is an excerpt from one paper on the topic:

In 2003, Asplund completed a comprehensive review of the cardiovascular effects of ST use [102]. He concluded that, in distinct contrast to smokers, ST users do not exhibit any significant differences from nonusers of tobacco with regard to the following measures of cardiovascular health: heart rate, blood pressure, cardiac output and maximal working capacity, levels of hemoglobin and hematocrit, leukocytes, antioxidant vitamins, fibrinogen, components of the fibrinolytic system, C-reactive protein and thromboxane A2 production. In addition, ST users did not show important smoking-associated vascular changes, including increased thickness of blood vessels and atherosclerotic plaque development. In summary, most of the medical and epidemiologic evidence documents that ST users do not have elevated risks for cardiovascular diseases.

http://dissolvabletobacco.com/papers/Rodu Godshall Smokeless Overview.pdf

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
In addition, ST users did not show important smoking-associated vascular changes, including increased thickness of blood vessels and atherosclerotic plaque development. In summary, most of the medical and epidemiologic evidence documents that ST users do not have elevated risks for cardiovascular diseases.

I'm betting my life that they're right. :)

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
Tropical bob, dont bet your life! Even if you are right never worth that bet!

I think that yvilla and bob make a point. I think obviously all the other things in smoke are contributing factors, and maybe the most significant. But I wouldnt be so sure to dismiss nicotine all together. It is a drug, it does have an effect. One of the major risk factors for heart disease is high bp. And I think its pretty well known that nicotine intake can cause people to have high blood pressure.

There was a study done on Snus, which is a swedish smokeless tobacco. The study was published in 1994, and was the largest cohort study to date on smokeless tobacco. They took a look at over 100 thousand people and compared exclusive non tobacco users to exclusive smokers and snusers. The results found that cardiovascular risks from snus were significant in that they had a doubled or more risk for all heart disease and mortality. Now some criticize the study today, especially swedish match,, BIG surprise lol. They say that the time the tests were conducted the snus had higher TSNA's then it does today, or that it was a fluke for that study etc. If you find the report they give some reasons how the results could have been skewed. however.
They did five other studies or so afterwards that showed no real statistically significant risk for CV with snus. However, I will not dismiss that large cohort study. It was the most statistically powerful study by the sheer numbers, and they definitely saw some kind of correlation. I personally do not think it was the TSNA's of the time, but i could be wrong. I am thinking it was more the nicotine. But i guess that can also be debatable. But another thing to note, a lot of the later studies did not work with a large study group, and I believe some of them were either funded or partially funded by swedish match. SM is a snus manufactorer. So take everything with a grain of salt. Its probably safer then cigarettes, but do not dismiss any kind of risk all together. I am sure there could be a CV risk, perhaps small. I dont know.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
nah yvilla, you arent. Bob is the real deal nicotine machine. I heard he has two pouches of snus in each cheek, a tobacco pellet under the tongue while he vapes the screwdriver on 36mg liquid. This is all done while bob has four patches on each arm and leg. When he says he bets his life, he really means it haha. jk bob.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
No. TBob is betting his life on it because he has had cardiovascular issues in his health history that caused him to need to stop smoking.

And I am betting mine too - after 44 years of smoking and a family history of cardiovascular disease to boot, I also developed atherosclerosis and PVD (sometimes known as PAD), so literally had to stop smoking, or die much sooner than I wanted to.

Check this out: A six-month followup ultrasound study last week shows improvement in the carotids! No change in the leg arteries, but before this study it's been steadily worsening, so I call it a victory.

Edit: And to put this six month followup in perspective, I switched to ecigs last October - been using them instead of cigarettes for about 7 months!

Last edited:

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
Im sorry to hear that Yvilla. I am glad that you are having some success and a positive change in some of your tests. You and bob seem like intelligent people, you have done your research and made some educated risks choices. So if you two could have these serious problems and still determine that you are much better off not smoking, that gives hope in e-smoking to many of us.

No one really talks about the positive effects of nicotine. Nicotine is a drug like any other, it has good and bad effects, Perhaps the good effects of keeping peoples anxieties at bay or the calming effect might help people with cardiovascular problems. I have no idea, thats just a wild theory out of my own head.

I was not aware of bobs cardio problems. Even if I am wrong, I hope tropical bob could maybe at least think of lowering his nicotine intake gradually. I do not think anyone can be 100 percent certain that heavy intake of a stimulating drug like nicotine will not have any ill effects on your system. I would say moderation is key to all things in life. even nicotine. I really wish you guys the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread