My health experiences in a nutshell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heart's Smoking

Oct 23, 2008
SoCal, USA
Take it for what its worth, I just wanted to share my experiences more so for new esmokers, those of you who have been vaping for awhile, if you haven't had problems you probably won't.

Here's my timeline: I was a light smoker, had quit but then started up again. Came across ecigs and started vaping in mid October '08. Had med and low strength of nicotine, and yes I did start vaping way more than I had been smoking. That was mistake number 1, and a common habit of new vapers from what I've read here. I started having heart palpitations after about 2 weeks of vaping. I orders NO nicotine and tried vaping that, I still had heart palpitations, just not as much, and my nicotine cravings were not satisfied at all, which sucked. I made a very low nicotine mixture, mixed the no nic and low nic together. That still gave me heart palpitations and still didn't satisfy my cravings.

On top of my heart problem, I was feeling dizzy, weak, fatigued and just generally like crap. I had a hard time getting through a night at work. I quit vaping at work (only did that a few times) then got to the point where I wouldn't even vape before work for fear of feeling like crap and just had one vaping session when I got home. I vaped on my days off and even though I cut back immensely, I just never felt right. I decided to go back to analogues, to at least cut my habit of "smoking" inside; since I vaped inside the house, it was actually more addictive for me than analogues, which were limited to outdoors.

Even on analogues, I continued to have heart palpitations. I smoked analogues for about another month after that and finally quit for good on Jan 2nd (no New Year's resolutions involved, I just felt really stupid to continue smoking with a know heart problem).

I want to state for the record here that I had very very occasional heart palpitations before, back in 07, when I quit the first time. Also have some signs/symptoms of a little circulatory insufficiency, but it seems to be made worse by smoking. I wasn't even using high levels of nicotine, so I must have a sensitivity to it, but the vaping was definitely making me feel worse that just smoking was before I bought the kit. I think it really sent me over the edge. I'm now in the process of a full medical work up with my doctor to determine the cause of my inappropriate sinus tachycardia and premature atrial contractions. Even though I quit smoking almost three weeks ago, I still have heart palpitations daily, usually right before bed when I'm really tired.

I just wanted my story to be a warning to those out there looking into esmoking who have a known heart problem or those light/social smokers who think this is an alternative. Don't do it. Please, I read all the warnings on here before about nicotine overdose, etc etc and I didn't think it would have an effect on me. But I beg of anyone out there who even THINKS esmoking is having a bad effect on them, go to the doctor and see what other alternatives are out there for you.

No doubt, esmoking has been a great alternative for a lot of people on these forums, but just know that it isn't for everyone. If anyone has any questions or if you want to know more details about what happened with me, don't hesitate. :thumb:

Heart's Smoking

Oct 23, 2008
SoCal, USA
Not sure if anyone is checking my replies here but to address the above: As far as mitral valve prolapse is concerned, yes, the symptoms are very similar. MVP is a type of autonomic nervous system disorder, which I do think I have a mild form of, but with any valve prolapse, there would be a heart murmur, which I do not have. I think I just have a form of orthostatic intolerance, which was exacerbated by nicotine intake.

PG intolerance is another possibility; however I still continued to have problems even after switching back to analogues and even about a month more after quitting altogether (although not as severe). I am happy to say that now, about 6 weeks after quitting I very rarely have heart palpitations any more. I do still get the dizziness/faintness, which I've always had when changing position, which is why I think I have an underlying problem. I can honestly say this was the easiest time I've ever had in quitting smoking, just feeling the actual damage I was doing to my body made it a very simple choice. I still have occasional cravings but know that the risks far outweigh the pleasure of it.

Anyway, I wish all of you out there much luck and perserverance in kicking the habit someday, it is not easy by any means, but I know that everyone has the strength to do it!

GoldenP51

Feb 8, 2009
But I beg of anyone out there who even THINKS esmoking is having a bad effect on them, go to the doctor and see what other alternatives are out there for you.

No doubt, esmoking has been a great alternative for a lot of people on these forums, but just know that it isn't for everyone. If anyone has any questions or if you want to know more details about what happened with me, don't hesitate. :thumb:

You brought up an extremely important point that I just want to emphasize for any future readers. If anyone is having ANY negative reactions to analogues, e-cigs or nicotine in general PLEASE stop using it and go see a Dr ASAP.

Also wanted to say that I hope you get better and it sounds like you already are, and they find out what is the underlying cause (hopefully nothing major). Please keep us updated!

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
If anyone is having ANY negative reactions to analogues, e-cigs or nicotine in general PLEASE stop using it and go see a Dr ASAP.
Sometimes that is no good. I went through several doctors and more examinations including heart sonography, ECG, X-rays for my lungs, blood tests for other possible organ problems, etc., and nothing really was found that would relate to cigarettes or nicotine. Only changes caused by too long a period of high blood pressure which is under control now. And the doctor´s advice is always the same for all of them. Go cold turkey, it can be done, it is only a matter of your willpower (meaning you really are a pathetic wimp for not having done that already).

Pax

Mar 18, 2009
Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional.

I am just exploring e-cigs, but came across your post in my research. Your experience sounded VERY similar to my own. So much so, I felt compelled to register and post.

After making it to my mid-30s without any health problems whatsoever, one day I started having palpitations. These were usually associated with severe fatigue or exhaustion either immediately before or immediately following. After months of stress tests, heart monitors, blood work, etc. we made no progress.

Then one day I went to a doctor who asked a simple question, "Have you ever had your blood sugar tested?". One glucose test later, I was diagnosed with mild hypoglycemia. Apparently, it's difficult to identify unless you are looking specifically for it. A simple diet change and a few weeks later, all symptoms are gone.

If your doctor hasn't already gone down that path, ask about it. It's a cheap, simple test and may save you weeks/months of worry and discomfort. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread