Heavy "after sizzle" on some wicks/builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
Hello,

on my SXK doggy 2k16 and on other single coil atomizers I sometimes have the problem that after I take a 2-3 second MTL draw I can clearly hear the coil/wick/juice is still buzzing/sizzling for 1-2 seconds after I release the fire button... it´s not that I get burned taste or dry hits, but seomthinbg does not seem to be right. Given optimal reflow from the tank I´d expect the reflowing liquid in the wick to almost immediately cool the coil down again to stop the sizzling. That does not seem to be the case.

My standard build is a 2.5 mm ID Kanthal A1 coil with 28GA, slightly spaced, running with 14 Watts in VW mode on a Pico. I use japan organic cotton pads and always wick "snug tight", that means it´s tight but I can still slightly move the wick inside the coil. Most people wick this way, so I think that´s a common and good method.

To make a long story short: What is the most common problem for that heavy "after sizzling" and how can I avoid it?
Thanks a bunch!
K.

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
My standard build is a 2.5 mm ID Kanthal A1 coil with 28GA, slightly spaced, running with 14 Watts in VW mode on a Pico. I use japan organic cotton pads and always wick "snug tight", that means it´s tight but I can still slightly move the wick inside the coil.
I would not consider myself an "expert" by any measure, so take this with a grain of salt, but to me it sounds like you might be using too much wick. Remember that cotton will swell as it becomes saturated (unlike rayon; which tends to shrink some). If the swelling is too much; then it can begin to "strangle" juice flow. Then, it would not be cooling the wire as quickly as you are expecting. (It is remaining wet enough to avoid burning the cotton, but not wet enough to avoid sizzle.)

Also, some (myself included) when using KGD (Koh Gen Do; or other cotton pads), will pull off the surface layer (top and bottom) before wicking. The thought behind it, is the "surface" layers have been processed in such a manner (to prevent fuzzing/fraying/lint), and that might(?) interfere with ideal wicking. That would also create the similar effects to those described above. I must confess I have always "skinned" my KGD; so I can't say whether this actually makes a difference or not, but it works for me... so I continue to do it.;)

I wrap similar coils to you (28 or 29ga kanthol; and 2.5-3.0mm ID, and vaping around 20W), and when I wick with KGD, I first skin both surfaces, then cut to size, gently roll the length, form a sharp point at one end for threading, and then pull through. I am looking for it to fill the inside diameter completely (no gaps, but I do not want the friction to tug, flex, wiggle, or deform the coil shape in any way. If it does, (to me) it indicates I am using too much cotton, and I will pull the wick back out, remove a bit of cotton, and try again.

Ultimately, I am looking for a (dry) wick that passes through the coil with only minimum resistance, but without gaps. Then, when I prime the wick generously it swells, and becomes difficult to adjust without distorting the coil. Wicking in this fashion has provided me a quality vape, with no sizzle (unless I fail to watch my tank level and run it dry, then I will get that crackle/sizzle (as the wick dries out) that reminds me to refill the tank). :D

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
I usually get that sizzle sound when I'm almost out of juice and my wicks are starting to get dry. If that's the right amount of cotton to fill the juice holes and to much for the coils try upping the coil diameter to 3mm using the same amount of cotton. Rdtas can be tricky like that.

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
Thank you all. In fact I always "peel off" the two surface layers of my cotton pads so that can´t be the culprit. I also wick exactly the way you described @IDJoel but maybe I will need to take a bit less cotton next time. I´m not sure if it´s useful (seen that on some of the YT tutorials) to compress the wick strip with my fingers a bit before inserting it into the coil. I also see many people use the "scottish roll" method where the cotton pad needs to be spread out very thinly and then rolled together again... to me that seems like a bad idea because the compressed rolled wick will inflate even more when juiced....
I will keep trying until I find that "sweet spot". There are some many variables...
K.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello,

on my SXK doggy 2k16 and on other single coil atomizers I sometimes have the problem that after I take a 2-3 second MTL draw I can clearly hear the coil/wick/juice is still buzzing/sizzling for 1-2 seconds after I release the fire button... it´s not that I get burned taste or dry hits, but seomthinbg does not seem to be right. Given optimal reflow from the tank I´d expect the reflowing liquid in the wick to almost immediately cool the coil down again to stop the sizzling. That does not seem to be the case.

My standard build is a 2.5 mm ID Kanthal A1 coil with 28GA, slightly spaced, running with 14 Watts in VW mode on a Pico. I use japan organic cotton pads and always wick "snug tight", that means it´s tight but I can still slightly move the wick inside the coil. Most people wick this way, so I think that´s a common and good method.

To make a long story short: What is the most common problem for that heavy "after sizzling" and how can I avoid it?
Thanks a bunch!
K.

When I first started to read your post, I said to myself this is a Classic Case of Long Ramp-Down due to using a High Mass or Multi-Wire Coil.

But seeing that you are using 28ga Kanthal at the Low End of the Wattage Scale, a Long Ramp Down due to the coil Doesn't seem likely.

Could it be your Mod? I had a Mod once that Didn't cut the power Instantly when I released the power button. Do you see the same thing on all the Mods you own?

No matter what the cause, the Easiest way to Avoid this is to just Release the Power Button a little Earlier at the end of the hit. I know, that is kinda a PITA. And something that feels somewhat Awkward.

But If you Can't figure out what is causing the Post Hit Sizzle, it does work.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised I believe. Creates a more efficient delivery.

In my limited experience I have to agree. The first time I used the Scottish Roll method I thought that there was no way it would all fit through my coil and if it did fit I was sure that it would be so tight that it would choke off the flow of juice. I've since learned otherwise. Spreading the cotton out and opening it up creates a lot more voids in the wick and allows for much better juice flow in my opinion. My wicks also seem to hold up better and for a lot longer than when I previously just cut, rolled and wicked. I have to say though that my experience with the Scottish Roll method is limited to RDAs. I'll be receiving my Zeus soon ( damned peer pressure, this means you @Letitia) and I'll see for myself how well it works. I tried it with my Avocado 24 and discovered that I had to thin the wick out so much that there wasn't much point in using the Scottish Roll.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Still loving the Zeus. Have two now, haven't built the second yet. waiting on grub screws. Tried a different wick technique today in Zeus. So far so good. Read post # 12. If you want to try it pm me and I'll send you some egyptian cotton.
Cellucotton- Rayon/Health/Performance

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Still loving the Zeus. Have two now, haven't built the second yet. waiting on grub screws. Tried a different wick technique today in Zeus. So far so good. Read post # 12. If you want to try it pm me and I'll send you some egyptian cotton.
Cellucotton- Rayon/Health/Performance
I'm not seeing a post #12

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
I´m afraid you mixed up threads or something with the forum is terribly wrong ...
K.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I wick similarly to IDJoel's method. I strip off the "ironed" part of the wick and roll the center part of the wick between my fingers. My wick at first requires twisting to get through the coil, but once it's there I pull it back and forth until it slides easily. That sizes the coil. Sure, it probably swells when juice hits it, but when I take a hit and release the fire button the sizzle stops immediately.

I vape 28ga-SS316L-2.5mm at 10 to 12 watts, occasionally up to 15W.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread