New to rebuildables, few issues wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyPig

Dec 31, 2017
hi, so to start off i just got my first rda, an innokin thermo, i know its not the most popular rda around but im quite enjoying it im just having a few issues with wicking as its my first time doing this

basically im having issues of a dry hit if i take too long of a puff, but its also gurgling like crazy and when i let go of the button it still sizzles for around a second after?

ive read around and it seems like gurgling means not enough cotton, but the dry hit/sizzling after means too much cotton? how can i have too much and too little at the same time?

i have tried vaping it on 70w all the way up to 140w, thought below 85w it seems to take way too long to even heat up the coil and produce vapor, anyone got any ideas?

the coils im using are alien claptons at 0.45ohm duel coil, reading 0.2ohm on my mod which is gx350 if that matters, anyway thanks for any help on this

Reactions: Letitia

ShinyPig

Dec 31, 2017
Welcome to ECF.
You didn't mention what mod you are using. Sounds like your coils are ramping slow. What wire are they made from and what device are you using?
my mod is gx350, pretty sure i said that, as for coils, im not 100% sure, i got one of those 8 in 1 prebuilt coils packs as i dont want to really start building the coils just yet,

this is the pack i got Dynas 48 Pre Made Coil Set but it doesnt state any info on the actual coils

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
my mod is gx350,
Apologies, you did mention that. Your coils are probably kanthal or kanthal/ni80. TC is not an option. Your mod has a function that lets you set for hard hit for how ever many seconds you choose to set. Use it to improve the coils ramp time. Start at 1 second and work your way up a second at a time until you find the sweet spot.

ShinyPig

Dec 31, 2017
I would try googling specs on that kit, and see if somewhere it tells you. It's really hard to get started without knowing what you are using.... What resistance is the coil reading?

Anna
just read on the site, it says its made of kanthal with an inner diameter of 3mm

the box says alien claptons are 0.45ohm but in a duel coil setup my mod is showing them as 0.208ohm

though im not sure how accurate my mod is at reading ohm as when i had prebuilds on tfv12, it would read the 0.12ohm coil sometimes it would think its a new coil at 0.15ohm when it wasnt

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
just read on the site, it says its made of kanthal with an inner diameter of 3mm

the box says alien claptons are 0.45ohm but in a duel coil setup my mod is showing them as 0.208ohm

though im not sure how accurate my mod is at reading ohm as when i had prebuilds on tfv12, it would read the 0.12ohm coil sometimes it would think its a new coil at 0.15ohm when it wasnt
Dual coils put your resistance at half of single coil. @Baditude is much better than I at explaining these things.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

Using dual coils halves the ohm. so it is ok

ShinyPig

Dec 31, 2017
Apologies, you did mention that. Your coils are probably kanthal or kanthal/ni80. TC is not an option. Your mod has a function that lets you set for hard hit for how ever many seconds you choose to set. Use it to improve the coils ramp time. Start at 1 second and work your way up a second at a time until you find the sweet spot.
how do i do that?
i always run my mod in wattage mode, and i changed it from normal to hard, by seconds do you just mean the second counter thats on the screen when i hold the button?

just got it set to 110w now and the ramp up time before any vape is now under half a second, id say around 0.3-0.4 seconds, but it still sizzles alot for around 1-1.5 seconds after i let go of the button, i can stop this by carrying on inhaling after letting go, but that isnt good for the clouds :(

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
how do i do that?
i always run my mod in wattage mode, and i changed it from normal to hard, by seconds do you just mean the second counter thats on the screen when i hold the button?

just got it set to 110w now and the ramp up time before any vape is now under half a second, id say around 0.3-0.4 seconds, but it still sizzles alot for around 1-1.5 seconds after i let go of the button, i can stop this by carrying on inhaling after letting go, but that isnt good for the clouds :(
Not a cloud chaser, afraid I can't help there.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
yeah i know dual coil halves the ohms, just not sure if its the coils that are slightly off there stated ohms or my mod isnt reading them correctly as shouldnt it be more at 0.225 than 0.208? or is that difference so small it doesnt matter anyway?
That isn't much difference and no coil is ever exactly as what it says it is when purchased.

ShinyPig

Dec 31, 2017
That isn't much difference and no coil is ever exactly as what it says it is when purchased.
ahh okay, so any ideas on my wicking? sorry i only have images of them with liquid on, been trying out more/less cotton but still get dry hits/lots of gurgling/sizzling after i let go of button, anything obvious that im doing wrong?

Attachments

• 26197452_321360258362058_1487129373_n.jpg
    26197452_321360258362058_1487129373_n.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 26241625_321360305028720_483747163_n.jpg
    26241625_321360305028720_483747163_n.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 25

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Almost every mod has slight changes in resistance readings and coils do differ slightly when they are made, so your probably just fine.

I am far from an expert in these things, especially high wattage coils, but I did once do a single coil MTL build that sizzled and gurgled a bit. Two things seemed to help... More wick inside the coil but more thinning and trimming of the tails, and also raising the coil up a bit from the airflow, so that my aeration was more even, or less intense, or whatever was going on. You could try that.. gently lifting the coils slightly (maybe with a jig inside them so they don't warp, and maybe a tiny bit more wick IN the coil. That's about all I got. It did fix my fizzing/gurgling issue though.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider

ShinyPig

Dec 31, 2017
Almost every mod has slight changes in resistance readings and coils do differ slightly when they are made, so your probably just fine.

I am far from an expert in these things, especially high wattage coils, but I did once do a single coil MTL build that sizzled and gurgled a bit. Two things seemed to help... More wick inside the coil but more thinning and trimming of the tails, and also raising the coil up a bit from the airflow, so that my aeration was more even, or less intense, or whatever was going on. You could try that.. gently lifting the coils slightly (maybe with a jig inside them so they don't warp, and maybe a tiny bit more wick IN the coil. That's about all I got. It did fix my fizzing/gurgling issue though.

Best of luck,

Anna
thanks, yeah ill give that a go, i think it is the tails which is part of the problem as i can see that sometimes when i take the cap off even after a single use, the cotton just on the very outside of the coil is dry with no liquid, like not completely dry but just little patches where theres no liquid

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That sounds like a thinner tails issue to me. If there is too much wick, it can't happen efficiently as it can sometimes be too much for the airflow in the tank .Good that you are resolving your problem-- I had that problem initially because it seems counterintuitive to thin the wick because at first I was like-- more wick, no leaking, and more fiber to "suck up" the e-liquid, but you can actually have too much. Hope that solves things a bit... :)

Anna

ShinyPig

Dec 31, 2017
That sounds like a thinner tails issue to me. If there is too much wick, it can't happen efficiently as it can sometimes be too much for the airflow in the tank .Good that you are resolving your problem-- I had that problem initially because it seems counterintuitive to thin the wick because at first I was like-- more wick, no leaking, and more fiber to "suck up" the e-liquid, but you can actually have too much. Hope that solves things a bit... :)

Anna
yeah i just taken it out again and rewicked, shortened the tails by about 50% and fluffed them up more, probably used around 30-40% less cotton than before

seems to be alot better, running it on 140w now, less gurgling than the premade coils on tfv12, which hardly gurgled for me anyway,
the sizzling only happens for maybe around 0.1-0.2 seconds which is near enough instant anyway,
and very minor dry hits, im able to take a 4-5 second puff at 140w before it starts to get dry, which im pretty happy with

being new to it i just thought more would be better but guess not, just thought since the cotton is jammed tight in the premade coils it should be kinda like that in rda coils, but i was wrong

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You may want to try rayon at some point. I find wicking so much easier with it. There's a long rayo thread in general vaping, and there's some great information there. Rayon actually shrinks a bit, so you'd probably want it tighter than cotton, I wick it tight enough so that I have to hold the coil with my thumbnail when I wick, but I think out the tails quite a bit.... Those folks on that thread solved all my wicking issues in two posts, and then a few weeks later a wicking issue I did not even know I HAD.

Here's the thread if you are ever interested... Rayon lasts a little longer than cotton, too. :)
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Anna

ShinyPig

Dec 31, 2017
You may want to try rayon at some point. I find wicking so much easier with it. There's a long rayo thread in general vaping, and there's some great information there. Rayon actually shrinks a bit, so you'd probably want it tighter than cotton, I wick it tight enough so that I have to hold the coil with my thumbnail when I wick, but I think out the tails quite a bit.... Those folks on that thread solved all my wicking issues in two posts, and then a few weeks later a wicking issue I did not even know I HAD.

Here's the thread if you are ever interested... Rayon lasts a little longer than cotton, too. :)
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Anna
thanks, ill definitely buy some and give it a go after my current pack of cotton bacon runs out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread