Hello everyone, a couple of questions if you don't mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keysel2Soze

Apr 27, 2016
Hello, I've been a member but have only posted a couple of times.

I have a couple of questions that I hope to get help with.

I have an old smok x cube mini that has just been sitting around. I barely used it as the tank (also smok) would leak ALL the damn time and I got tired of messing with it.

Should I find another tank to use with the mod or just start fresh?

I don't care about "cloudz". Flavor (love lots of flavor, the more the better), ease of use, safety, and reliability (in that order) are my chief concerns. Would be nice if it could fit in a pocket, but that would be icing.

So:
1 - keep my old mod and get a new tank?
2 - start fresh and get a whole new rig?

If #1 then feel free to suggest a tank.

If #2 then please suggest a rig (mod and tank). I hear DNA mods are best for flavor, but I'm not all that savvy about those things (obviously).

Tia for any/all help, appreciated!

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
So:
1 - keep my old mod and get a new tank?
Yes, for a start. iirc, your mod does a max of 75W. Plenty of power for almost any tank, especially as you seek flavor, and not the billows!
(of course, if the mod still functions correctly, and holds a good charge)

I have limited experience with new tanks, so I'll let the learned others chime in.

Good luck, vape on!

:)

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
How old is the mod, and does it have an internal or a replaceable battery? If it's internal, it may not be able to hold much of a charge if it's too old. More seriously, aging can affect the safety of batteries. If it's replaceable, you should be able to get a new battery and keep the mod.

If you do end up looking for a new mod, it might help to know that SMOK doesn't have the best reputation for quality. DNA is excellent, but the price reflects the quality and it may not be worth it unless you want to use TC (temperature control). Flavour is mostly about the tank and coil, and the mod only really plays a role if you're into TC.

There are so many options around that it's hard to make a specific recommendation. If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, that should steer us in the right direction:

• Do you have a preferred style of vaping? In particular, do you know if you want MTL or DL?
  • When you could get your old setup to work, did you like the vape or was there something about it you would have changed if you could have (apart from the leaking, that is)?
  • Which matters more - size of a mod or how long it can go between charges?
  • Do know if you want an internal or replaceable battery?

Keysel2Soze

Apr 27, 2016
I believe it first came out in 2015. It's practically brand new since the tanks always leaked and I just put it away because I didn't wanna mess with it.

It runs on one removable 18650. The mod is 75W and can do TC as well as be controlled by setting the voltage.

When I vape I usually DTL. I do smoke cigarettes so MTL isn't foreign to me either. Flavor is my primary concern so whichever provides best flavor is what I am fine with doing.

The vaping on the old system was ok. Nothing spectacular.

Replaceable battery (18650's would be good as it seems they are still the standard). Time in between charges is irrelevant as I don't vape/smoke much and I can always buy more batteries.

Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: stols001

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you know the model of your Smok tank, have you searched on here and on Youtube for solution to your tank leaking? You may not always find good information, but you might.

If it's a top fill tank, try closing the airflow before you open it to fill it and only open the airflow after you have closed the top fill part. This doesn't always work with every tank, but it's the first simple thing to try on a leaking tank. Unfortunately, sometimes it's just crappy coil heads and you can't do much about that unless the newer ones are built better.

If you just can't get the tank to stop leaking and you don't want to fiddle with it, just get a new tank. I cannot recommend newer drop-in coil tanks but others can if you provide more info like how many watts you like to vape, whether or not you like too or warm vape, etc. the more info the better.

No use in getting rid of the mod since it's practically new and works.

Just be aware that with drop-in coil tanks, coils eventually get discontinued and you have to then find a new tank unless you want to spend a lot of money hoarding the coils. Thousands of different coil heads have been made, but only a handful of those are still in production today. That's why rebuildable tanks are better, but if you don't like to rebuild then you have to deal the fact that you may have to end up getting a new tank within a year or 2 because they stopped making the coil heads for it.

Keysel2Soze

Apr 27, 2016
    I would rather not even mess with the tanks. Already played with them enough. Thanks for the suggestion on how to maybe get them to stop leaking. If I have any more coils randomly laying around I may give it a try.

I got the tanks with the mod so they are about just as old.

I'd rather just get a newer tank.

As far as drop in coil or rebuildable I'd rather drop in, but I can do rebuildable if I HAVE to. I actually have two of the mods as I got one for my girl. She used hers even less than I used mine. I guess I could do one RTA, but most def don't wanna do RDA

Guess I could try a different tank on each mod. Lol

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Falcon 2, or even a fireluke 2. These use mesh coils and I think that they are as good as it gets. Also, a Vaporesso NRG mesh, which I also have and am currently using. I only vape DL so I wont be much help for MTL ideas. But for performance and longer coil life, you cant go wrong with mesh.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I've narrowed it to 3 choices for the DTL.
    -Horizon Falcon 2
    -Uwell Crown 4
    -Uwell Nunchaku
    Anyone have thoughts on those 3? All 3 will operate at the wattages I need. All 3 supposedly have great flavor (my #1variable). TIA!
    Looks like I welcomed you before. Note that you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
    re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
    In the future, you might want to post in the ECF forum most closely representing your subject/question. Suggest re posting in :Tanks discussions and chat:
    Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils
    Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane/extensive information from the membership in the above/appropriate forum.

Jeff Brasier

May 24, 2020
    Hi there. I agree that your mod (battery) is gonna be good for most tanks. Check the wattage on the tank you plan to use of course. In my opinion and experience, SMOK tanks are kind of crappy in terms of quality and tend to leak a lot too. If you are looking for flavor, go with a mesh coil tank. Most brands have them and are very good for flavor in my opinion. I really liked ASPIRE product starting out (great flavor without big clouds) I was always more interested in flavor myself. I started with the nautilus tank and really enjoyed the 1.6 ohm and 1.8 ohm coils. It now has a bunch of coils to choose from to find the one you like. I hope this was helpful to you and good luck!!

Jeff Brasier

May 24, 2020
    I've decided to do an MTL and a DTL.

I am going to try the Innokin Zenith for the MTL.

I've narrowed it to 3 choices for the DTL.
    -Horizon Falcon 2
    -Uwell Crown 4
    -Uwell Nunchaku

Anyone have thoughts on those 3? All 3 will operate at the wattages I need. All 3 supposedly have great flavor (my #1variable). TIA!

I recommend the Falcon 2. It's a 75 watt max coil. Excellent flavor and good quality build. I personally love the tank!

Keysel2Soze

Apr 27, 2016
    Thanks everyone for all the help!

All make sure to post in a different section next time.

I'll likely try to Falcon 2. I was looking at the hell vape hellbeast as it uses coils from a few different tanks. But based on the mesh coil suggestion I'll consider it IF it uses mesh, rule it out if not and just go with the falcon or something close.

I read on a review that the fire Luke2 had leaking problems and I'm pretty much done with leaky tanks! :p

Appreciate the help from you all!

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    You mentioned that you still smoke, moving away from that is right thing to do. Your health, your smell, cloths, furniture, and loved ones all deserve it.

As to gear, others probably know what is current and good. One thing I do recommend is that you have spares. You never want to be without your gear and feel compelled to stop for smokes. I kept a complete kit in my car, it helped early on.

Speaking of spares, When I got a new mod, my old one became my back-up.

Good luck to you.

P.S. Good flavor does not require a lot of power.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread