Hello from Ohio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L183

Jun 29, 2013
Fairborn, Ohio
Hello from Ohio!

First off, I'd like to thank the forum creators for setting up and maintaining this place, as well as all of the folks posting so much useful information and opinion in the threads within. I've been viewing threads and posts here for over a year, probably closer to two years, even though I've only just now gotten registered. I'd also like to thank CASAA (which I just joined) and folks like Mr. Godshall for fighting the good fight out there. So, thanks everyone!

I started smoking about 18 years ago. The greater part of the last 10 years has been spent wanting to quit and, until now, unsuccessfully doing so. The S.O. (also a smoker) and I have been trying out ecigs over the course of the last two years, but for various reasons it just wasn't catching on completely.

We started with ... as many could probably guess... Blu. At first I was quite impressed. The flavor and feel of it was very, very satisfying for someone just getting started. Plus the "new toy" novelty of it all was kind of exciting. Unfortunately, I quickly ran into the issue of battery life. Additionally, I didn't like the notion of having to buy the carts that didn't last as long as they claimed. I was at the time a fairly heavy smoker, at least a PAD. While my gf loved it (she's a lighter smoker than I was), I figured there had to be a better solution.

In retrospect I really should have kept it for her sake, but being tight on funds then, I sent the Blu back for a refund and ordered an ego knock off. Semi bad move. It's the next logical step up, but the batteries petered out quicker than I'd expected, as in: they worked for a good long time at first (I believe they were 900mAh), but then wouldn't charge up as much on subsequent charges. Perhaps this is really normal; it still seemed to me like a waste to have to replace that whole thing every so often. I was also kind of miffed about the tank/mouthpiece with atty system that came with it and cartomizers on it were off and on;sometimes the battery just didn't want to get them going. Nevermind other issues I've had, and am sure everyone has, with carts leaking, burning out... chalk it up to the learning process.

So for a while, vaping sort of fell off the map. I more or less gave up. Plus we were still smoking analogs this whole time anyway, even though we both cut down by a significant amount simply by making indoor smoking off limits. I would experiment with the stuff I had every once in a while, like using a cheapo little usb passthrough with cartomizers, which still works like a champ, it just keeps me locked to the computer if I want to vape.

This summer though, I was determined to get it right. After doing more investigation here and with the additional help of videos by grimmgreen and pbusardo on YT, among others, I finally settled on a Silver Bullet with a Kanger Protank. For whatever reason, replaceable batteries are psychologically more "right" for my brain and I don't have to screw around with cartomizers anymore.

My stuff arrived last Wednesday as I was outside having my LAST(!!) smoke. I set it all up and started vaping full time; I haven't had a cigarette since. I can still hardly believe it. The transition was instantaneous... well, if you don't count the year or more of not having the right set up. I can guess that a lot of you can appreciate how weirdly amazing it feels right now. This is by far the longest I've gone without an analog since I started. I'm merely a toot or two on my SB away from not wanting one of those Newports in the freezer at any given time. Couldn't be happier.

Now I can contemplate dabbling with DIY juice and tackle the issue of a PV solution that suits the SO. She's not interested in my kind of set up in the slightest, or even an ego-type really, at least not yet, but she is really really excited to join me in a smoke free future. I'm still convinced that Blu is not the way to go, so we're currently investigating Volt, Bloog, Smoov, and eRoll type options.

Anyway, that's my story. Fantastic community y'all have here. :thumb:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Born and raised in Ohio. Welcome to the forum, L183, and congrats on sticking with it till you found what's right for you! That's the secret (actually no secret on this forum, lol) to success, in my book.

I'm still with eGo batts, but *love* my protank! Plus I'm having great fun DIYing my juice. It's a whole other world, isn't it?!

Good luck with getting your SO set up with the right equipment for her, too. Happy vaping! :vapor:

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
Being in OH, you should check out AltSmoke. They have a website, but also retail locations in New Philly, Columbus, and Cincy. I'm near Pittsburgh, but feel it's worth the 2 hour drive to their store in New Philly... They carry the SB, as well as SI Volt kits, and a lot of other good stuff...
As you might have guessed by my signature banner I started with Volts from SI. I liked them a lot, but have since stepped up to a Vamo. The volts are a lot better than Blu's IMO (but being better than Blu isn't hard to do lol). I never had a prob with them, just wanted longer batt life and VV/VW... SI's cartos are gret too!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Welcome from another Ohio native! :thumbs: Where abouts do you live?

Is your wife turned off by the Silver Bullet's size and weight? She might like an Altsmoke BB. I have a black one, and my daughter requested a pink BB setup as her first mod. Now she wants a purple one for a backup. Get your wife a pyrex cartotank with a frog on it. :laugh:

pinkblackandpurpleBBs.jpg BB.jpg BB-frogHighDesert.jpg

L183

Jun 29, 2013
Fairborn, Ohio
Hey, thanks for the welcome all! Good to see that Ohio is well represented. I am somewhat new around here though. Born and raised in Baltimore, did an undergrad in upstate NY, spent some time there, back to Baltimore for a while, two years in Kent, OH recently. We (the girlfriend and I--not wife, not yet anyway) are in Fairborn by Wright State (where I'm working on a grad degree) now.

@ Rocketpunk Awesome! We're very nearby. Are there any actual vape shops in the greater Dayton area? Only thing I've found are head shops and traditional tobacco smoke shops, none of which sell much of what I'd want.

@ Spazmelda & HOPS Indeed, it looks like we will be going with the Volt, after having reviewed the options this afternoon.

I actually ordered my Silver Bullet from altsmoke; I didn't realize they had a shop so close. That is good to know.

@ Baditude - I'm fairly certain, though I can't find the thread now, that I was closely looking into a set up recommendation thread that you made. I very nearly went with a pyrex carto-tank (Triple V) from valleyvapes, but was disappointed to find him not currently in business. Found the Protank shortly after anyway (or maybe even in the same thread? I don't remember that now).

Yeah, the ladyfriend is not thrilled with the heft and size. When I unveiled it, she rolled her eyes. I believe the word "dildo" was uttered. On the other hand, having witnessed my success firsthand, no less living with another smoker, I'm pretty sure she now believes in miracles and is less hesitant.

I've had her take several toots off the SB to taste different juices I've gotten, but she's way more interested in having something light and discreet. I can't say I blame her. The PCCs for the small units, the Volt in particular, look freakin slick. If it weren't for the fact that I just shred the crap out of those batteries, I'd still want one.

That frog is quite stylish though...

L183

Jun 29, 2013
Fairborn, Ohio
... *love* my protank! Plus I'm having great fun DIYing my juice. It's a whole other world, isn't it?!

I know, right!? I'm finally on the other side of this bizarre chasm that I could only vaguely imagine traversing before.

Absolutely zero complaints with the Protank so far. I have been pretty diligent about frequent rinse-outs and dry-burns.

I'm looking forward to getting into DIY juice. Seeing this as a new hobbyist type of activity, experimentations, finding new flavors. Good times.

So far, Vanilla Custard from Nhaler (which I have a decent supply of for now) and some random Keoke Coffee flavor (that I've now finished -- I don't remember where I got it from, unfortunately) have gotten me through the bulk of the first week and a half. Can't wait to see if there are other flavors I'd never guess to be an adv.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@ Rocketpunk Awesome! We're very nearby. Are there any actual vape shops in the greater Dayton area? Only thing I've found are head shops and traditional tobacco smoke shops, none of which sell much of what I'd want.

Yes, VaporCast in Centerville, Ohio. VaporCast Store

Look for the short bald salesman with the Fu Man Chu moustache and tell him Baditude sent you. ;)

BTW, I like your avatar. Is that a clown plecostamus?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread