Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Suggest you learn all there is to know about mech mods before putting them in your pocket or firing the power button.
I don't think mechs are as complicated or dangerous as some people make them out. As long as you use known coil recipes or buy coils there's no reason to have an ohm meter or know any of the math. More than a few of the people talking about how dangerous mechs are didn't follow the procedures they're giving out when they started themselves because they didn't exist at the time. Are regulated mods safer and easier to deal with? Yes. but that doesn't make mech mods more dangerous than they were to begin with.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I wouldn't try prebought coils in a mech without checking their resistance, but I haven't tried using one yet. I would use my ohms reader regardless. It just makes sense to me. I agree that it's important to not over-emphasize how dangerous mechs are, but they ARE more dangerous than regulated mods, really.

I can't imagine doing all the work that I needed to learn and calculate ohm's law correctly and then just shoving some pre-coiled coil on there, and I really wouldn't recommend it. That's just asking for that one in a million problem, if you ask me.

Anna

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I don't think mechs are as complicated or dangerous as some people make them out. As long as you use known coil recipes or buy coils there's no reason to have an ohm meter or know any of the math. More than a few of the people talking about how dangerous mechs are didn't follow the procedures they're giving out when they started themselves because they didn't exist at the time. Are regulated mods safer and easier to deal with? Yes. but that doesn't make mech mods more dangerous than they were to begin with.

gonna have to disagree with this... one should fully understand what one is dealing with when using mechs, have a working ohm meter and use it and understand the math behind the coil and battery.... people love to push things to the limit and a simple miscalculation can end in an injury... and also... regulated mods are not fool proof, those too can go poooof!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
gonna have to disagree with this... one should fully understand what one is dealing with when using mechs, have a working ohm meter and use it and understand the math behind the coil and battery.... people love to push things to the limit and a simple miscalculation can end in an injury... and also... regulated mods are not fool proof, those too can go poooof!
I agree that you can’t go anywhere near the limits of the device without the knowledge, I’m saying that if all you want is a reasonably satisfying vape it’s not strictly speaking necessary for reasonable safety. All the complicated bits are about correctly sizing a coil. If the coils you have come already correctly sized it simplifies matters drastically.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think your crazy......it's worse enough I see people using 18 or 20 wire they just used to make their first coil and drop it on a regulated mod, but if that were used on a mech! You most definitely need to know what resistance your building and what resistances are safe per batteries being used....there are many very important things you need to know before attempting to use a mech, period.....they aren't very difficult things , but they are extremely important and if you don't adhere, they can be very dangerous

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think your crazy......it's worse enough I see people using 18 or 20 wire they just used to make their first coil and drop it on a regulated mod, but if that were used on a mech! You most definitely need to know what resistance your building and what resistances are safe per batteries being used....there are many very important things you need to know before attempting to use a mech, period.....they aren't very difficult things , but they are extremely important and if you don't adhere, they can be very dangerous

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I refer you to my last reply.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
A short can happen beyond the coil and placement. What if the 510 insulator was bad? Coil looks good, pop it on the mech and hit the fire button. Probably not gonna be an enjoyable vape. Test it with an ohm reader or dmm. Only takes a whopping 30 seconds to do.
Low percentage bizarre hardware failure is a better argument than “but people are stupid and can’t fpllow directions”. Not that the latter is untrue I guess.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
for example...

wow... 1 coil works great, lets add another for twice the vapor and flavor... not knowing ohms law just put the user from a .25 ohm coil setup into a .125 ohm set...
Yup. Falls under not following the recipe. You cannot do any experimentation without an ohm meter/knowledge. Without it you are limited to known working systems. VV mods are vastly more idiot proof than mechs. People have gotten away with mechs in the past by the simple expedient of not being idiots. Nothing of course is completely idiot proof however.

What I’m still not getting though is the OP is just buying a Christmas gift. SHE doesn’t need to know all this stuff, the ex she is buying it for does.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Mechs can be vaped safely. I have been doing it for years. That said, I do strongly recommend arming yourself with as much knowledge about how they work before you try it. I also recommend you stay as far away as you can get from faux-hybrid (direct-to-battery) mods like the VGod. Welcome to the board.

• Agree

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I dunno. I have coils that say they're .25, but building this morning they came out to 1.8. Not a huge difference but a difference just the same. I've had worse.Not arguing, just sayin

With that bought a tab today just to be sure.

I'm new to mechs. I'm more inclined to err on the side of safety.

Besides, if it dies

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I dunno. I have coils that say they're .25, but building this morning they came out to 1.8. Not a huge difference but a difference just the same. I've had worse.Not arguing, just sayin

With that bought a tab today just to be sure.

I'm new to mechs. I'm more inclined to err on the side of safety.

Besides, if it dies
I’m assuming you mean .18 not 1.8 :). .25 is lower than I would aim for without an ohm meter. Way backWhen such things were done commonly sub ohm wasn’t even really a thing yet. “Low resistance was anything’s by under 1.5ohm. I think the lowest I ever aimed for without an ohm meter was .75. There’s a reasonably fat safety margin above .5ohm.

Iirc the way it went with me is I thought that 7 was awesome and decided to buy an ohm meter because I wanted to try even lower. I still don’t vape below .3 myself.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Yeah, .18. My phone hates me.
I was using my Therion to check the build before putting it on the Pulse.

I rely on pre-built. I just don't have the time to coil my own.

Bought a Coilmaster tab tonight. Work gave us $200 gift cards for working all weekend. Gave me reason to buy a few things I wanted, maybe needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread